Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 41
01:19 AM on 11/12/13
Grammercy Riffs
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I actually really liked the review Zac. Sometimes it's difficult when writing about a record to hold back on gushing praise....I get that.
I also think that when you connect with an album that you want to impart that feeling onto others, I feel the same about this record after playing it to death over the last few months, you just want everyone to love it like you do. Your review gave me that feeling.
One thing though, I was bummed you didn't quote what I consider the best lyric of the year in your review (from Bitter Divorce), "I made a list of everything that I despise....and I wrote your name down....several times".
Magic!
03:15 AM on 11/12/13
Zac Djamoos
fantasizing the sight of manhattan
User Info.
I actually really liked the review Zac. Sometimes it's difficult when writing about a record to hold back on gushing praise....I get that.
I also think that when you connect with an album that you want to impart that feeling onto others, I feel the same about this record after playing it to death over the last few months, you just want everyone to love it like you do. Your review gave me that feeling.
One thing though, I was bummed you didn't quote what I consider the best lyric of the year in your review (from Bitter Divorce), "I made a list of everything that I despise....and I wrote your name down....several times".
Magic!

Well thank you! That's very nice of you to say. It means a lot.

My favorite lyric of the year also...last sentence of the second paragraph :)
02:38 PM on 11/14/13
Psib
When I get home I'll get high alone
User Info.
This is def my AOTY
12:23 PM on 11/20/13
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
Well thank you! That's very nice of you to say. It means a lot.

My favorite lyric of the year also...last sentence of the second paragraph :)
Hey, man.

I think you've definitely improved as a reviewer since your Reptilian review (the last of yours I commented on). You make some solid points about the songs individually - you could possibly flesh these out slightly more in the future. Do try to have a point in your paragraphs, though, rather than just going through each song and picking something you like about it. For instance, Captain, We're Sinking's song-structuring is really interesting and different from a lot of 'punk' bands, so you could discuss this more and give different examples from different songs, and then also add something about each of those songs that stands out to you as you go into more detail about them.

One thing I try to do in my reviews is have a couple of key points or a general theme to them. It helps the review as a whole flow better, in my opinion, and it stops you having to break the album down so much as to say what is good about each song just to fill space.

Try to refrain from using 'I'. It's a lot less critical (and it's a pet-peeve of mine, possibly because my old English teacher said to never use 'I' in a review, but mostly because I don't care why you like the album so much, I want to read why I would like it).

In the bottom paragraph you play off your affection for this album "fanboyish", which is just an immature word (not saying you're immature, but that the word itself implies immaturity). It feels apologetic, too. Don't do that.

This album fucking rules, btw :D
01:16 PM on 11/20/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
Hey, man.

I think you've definitely improved as a reviewer since your Reptilian review (the last of yours I commented on). You make some solid points about the songs individually - you could possibly flesh these out slightly more in the future. Do try to have a point in your paragraphs, though, rather than just going through each song and picking something you like about it. For instance, Captain, We're Sinking's song-structuring is really interesting and different from a lot of 'punk' bands, so you could discuss this more and give different examples from different songs, and then also add something about each of those songs that stands out to you as you go into more detail about them.

One thing I try to do in my reviews is have a couple of key points or a general theme to them. It helps the review as a whole flow better, in my opinion, and it stops you having to break the album down so much as to say what is good about each song just to fill space.

Try to refrain from using 'I'. It's a lot less critical (and it's a pet-peeve of mine, possibly because my old English teacher said to never use 'I' in a review, but mostly because I don't care why you like the album so much, I want to read why I would like it).

In the bottom paragraph you play off your affection for this album "fanboyish", which is just an immature word (not saying you're immature, but that the word itself implies immaturity). It feels apologetic, too. Don't do that.

This album fucking rules, btw :D
Well thank you for saying what phaynes said without being a dick.

I will certainly try to focus more on making points in the future. What you said about having a single general theme in a review sounds like a great thought. I'll definitely try not to use I - I somewhat dislike making totally objective statements in reviews (i.e. this the best best album of the year), so that's what I did it so frequently. Your point about "fanboyishness" makes sense - hadn't even considered that.

So thanks a lot of reviewing my review, haha. I'll definitely use what you said in my future reviews.
01:51 PM on 11/20/13
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
There was no point during what I said where I was a dick. Sorry you can't take criticism.
06:39 AM on 11/21/13
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
Well thank you for saying what phaynes said without being a dick.

I will certainly try to focus more on making points in the future. What you said about having a single general theme in a review sounds like a great thought. I'll definitely try not to use I - I somewhat dislike making totally objective statements in reviews (i.e. this the best best album of the year), so that's what I did it so frequently. Your point about "fanboyishness" makes sense - hadn't even considered that.

So thanks a lot of reviewing my review, haha. I'll definitely use what you said in my future reviews.

No problem, dude. I know what it's like and how shitty it can feel when people comment on your stuff and say things like "Your review sucks" without offering anything constructive.
09:57 AM on 11/21/13
Dave Diddy
I knew better, I just didn't care
User Info.
Great album. Probably a top 10 of 2013 for me. Can't say it's my AOTY though. That's probably going to go to Frightened Rabbit's Pedestrian Verse, followed closely by Jason Isbell's Southeastern.
11:57 AM on 11/21/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
No problem, dude. I know what it's like and how shitty it can feel when people comment on your stuff and say things like "Your review sucks" without offering anything constructive.

Thanks.

There was no point during what I said where I was a dick. Sorry you can't take criticism.

It's not that I can't take criticism - it's that, like Tottivillarossi said, you didn't offer anything other than "this sucks."
08:50 PM on 11/25/13
mynameisandyjoe
User Info.
Thank you for reviewing this album! I can't get enough of it, and was completely shocked that it hadn't been done yet.
04:31 AM on 11/27/13
ajocfuc
User Info.
08:20 AM on 12/01/13
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
I gush all over this album too. Best of the year by a mile for me.
03:00 PM on 12/02/13
CastlesXClouds
Relax
User Info.
So basically I wrote this because 1) I was bored and 2) I cannot praise this album enough.
A few years ago i checked ap out to find some new music and was instantly introduced to some of my favorite artists thanks to the end of the year lists you guys put on. My point being, this album is fucking killer and im appreciative that you reviewed this or i never wouldve check it out. love love love it.
03:04 PM on 12/02/13
Zac Djamoos
User Info.
A few years ago i checked ap out to find some new music and was instantly introduced to some of my favorite artists thanks to the end of the year lists you guys put on. My point being, this album is fucking killer and im appreciative that you reviewed this or i never wouldve check it out. love love love it.
that's why i'm here!
03:33 AM on 12/07/13
Noahsp94
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I completely agree with you on this! 9.5 across the board. Great album.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos