Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 8 posts
06:08 PM on 11/11/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Album owns. Definitely in EOTY discussion. An absolute beast/whale of a disc. Still think you're nuts to think that Hoge's disc is better than this, but to each their own, my good friend.

Also, you recommended Patty Griffin's 1,000 Kisses. Have you listened to American Kid? That's been my AOTY since it was released and has not wavered from that spot.
Hahaha, "Elephant" is probably my song of the year, but Hoge's is my album of the year. Both are going to be in my top five though.

Yes, I've heard American Kid. I like it. Need to listen to it more. Nothing hit me quite like my favorite songs from 1000 Kisses do ("Nobody's Crying," "Long Ride Home," "Rain," the "Stolen Car" cover), but I think it might be up there with her most consistent work. Thanks for the reminder.
08:07 PM on 11/11/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
It seemed ridiculous and way too bold at the time, but literally the FIRST time I heard "Elephant" I thought to myself, "this is one of the best songs I've ever heard."

It no longer seems ridiculous, nor too bold.

It absolutely is. I think the opener and closer stood out to me more on first listen, but when I really paid attention to the lyrics, "Elephant" was like a kick in the gut. Wish it were longer. I always play it three or four times in a row.

I thought the same thing about that song the first time I heard it.

Great review for a great record, Craig.

Thanks!
06:45 AM on 11/12/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
1,000 Kisses is pretty amazing, and you nailed all the best songs, but my personal favorite of her discography is Impossible Dream. "When it Don't Come Easy" continues to be one of my all-time favorite songs, just wow. But really she has very few if any bad songs, and has yet to release an album that hasn't been first-rate. Even Flaming Red is bad-ass. She's tremendous. Sorry to write about Patty in an Isbell thread, but I can't hold back my affection for my favorite redhead.
Haha, that's alright. Yeah, 1,000 Kisses has all of my favorite songs of hers, but I'm always hesitant to call it her best album because I think it loses steam toward the end. The sequencing on that album is a bit off too. No way that "Nobody's Crying" should have been anywhere other than in the closing slot.
09:16 AM on 11/20/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Thanks dude. Did you ever write anything about this? Slash are you doing write-ups for your end of the year list?
09:54 AM on 11/20/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Yeah I went through a few drafts I hated about this. But yes I'm doing a paragraph on everything in my top thirty haha.
Nice, looking forward to that. I wrote up my paragraphs for my prospective top 15 or so last weekend.
10:02 AM on 11/20/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Yeah I gotta decided what my AOTY is though...I flip flop almost daily lol
Haha, I pretty much decided on mine. Could still change, but I doubt it. What are you deciding between at this point?
10:08 AM on 11/20/13
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Deafheaven and Vampire Weekend
Gotcha. Couldn't get into Deafheaven. Not really my thing. Vampire Weekend might end up on the back end of my top 30.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos