AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.75
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.68
Musicianship 7.29
Lyrics 7.79
Production 7.89
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.07
Reviewer Tilt 7.43
Average: 76%
Inside AP.net

Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre

Reviewed by: hockeyguitar99 (06/19/08)
Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre
Record Label: J Records
Release Date: October 23, 2007

When Say Anything's label debut ...Is a Real Boy was released in 2004, it took the hearts of pop-punk and indie rock fans everywhere. With Max Bemis' clever lyrics and powerful vocals they showed that they had potential and talent. Following up a disc like that is no easy task. On their 27-track sophomore album, In Defense Of The Genre, they have proved that they don't plan on leaving the music scene any time soon.

On this album, Say Anything venture further away from the more straight indie rock sound of their first album, using a large amount of electronic beats, making this album much more captivating. The guitars are much more improved as well; there are several more guitar lines and solos than on their debut. These two factors paired makes the musical elements more interesting and an overall bigger part of this album.

Bemis' vocals on the release are extremely hard to describe. He puts so much energy and emotion into the songs it adds to his already amazing lyrics. His vocal style differs between beautifully sung melodies to nearly-screamed, emotionally-charged lines. I find his voice to be beautifully unique, which is hard to find in today's music industry.

With all of that said, it still not the best thing about the album: Bemis' lyrics are some of the best that I've heard in a long time. His creative and self-deprecating sarcasm makes me smile every time I listen. Lines like "I remember it vividly love / I've been walking erect since the moment we met" ("Shiksa"), "I'm sorry that I wrecked that tour for us / The drugs left me wigging out on the bus" ("Sorry Dudes, My Bad."), and "I screw my life up evermore / As I puke my lungs out on the floor" ("Hangover Song") display his perfect mix of the aforementioned qualities.

The icing on the cake for this album is all of the guest spots. The likes of Hayley Williams (Paramore), Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance), Chris Conley (Saves The Day), and Kenny Vasoli (The Starting Line), among others, contribute their voices to the album. The contrast between these vocalists and Bemis' is amazing. The most memorable of these collaborations is on the track "Sorry Dudes, My Bad." Chris Conley starts out with a hilarious spoken word line and follows to sing his heart out.

When it's all said and done, In Defense Of The Genre is a great follow up to ...Is A Real Boy. While it lacks the raw catchy factor that made ...Is A Real Boy so different, this album is it's own and special in a different way. This album sets Say Anything in a different direction, but still leaves them in a league of their own. This album is a 27-track adventure that won't soon be forgotten.

Recommended if You Likeunique pop-punk, amazing guest spots, smarmy indie rock, Weatherbox

myspace.com/sayanything

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 88
06:12 PM on 06/19/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
While I really like this album, I don't agree with you on the fact of the lyrics being really good. Some of his lyrics are good, while others are just cringe worthy. All in all, I love the album and agree with the score for the most part.
06:31 PM on 06/19/08
lilRIPsta
User Info.
IDOTG lyrics: overrated
IARB lyrics: not
07:31 PM on 06/19/08
teenagetwilight
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"soob be forgotten", typo.

good review, but I don't hear anything special in this band.
07:34 PM on 06/19/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
"soob be forgotten", typo.

good review, but I don't hear anything special in this band.

holy crap, i can't believe i missed that, and I'm surprised adrian missed it too

adrian, could you fix that?
08:12 PM on 06/19/08
J Me
When i fly solo, i fly so high
User Info.
...Is a Real Boy was not their debut??? Baseball was. but good review nonetheless
08:14 PM on 06/19/08
liar23
Yo
User Info.
...Is a Real Boy was not their debut??? Baseball was. but good review nonetheless
exactly what I was going to say
08:24 PM on 06/19/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.

I know, but i was going with more of their label-released, wide spread debut.
08:24 PM on 06/19/08
J Me
When i fly solo, i fly so high
User Info.

ok. yeah it was self released. damn they should re-release it under J records.
08:25 PM on 06/19/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
ok. yeah it was self released. damn they should re-release it under J records.

I couldn't agree more.
10:07 PM on 06/19/08
PermanentTourists
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Everyone always goes with the mainstream. And I agree with some of the lyrics making you cringe because of some blatant stupidity. A good record but Ill stick with Baseball and some old demos. It was better then and I dont think Say Anything are headed in a good direction
10:21 PM on 06/19/08
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Fixed typo and clarified "label" debut so people will stop whining.
10:58 PM on 06/19/08
Andrew Love
Bravos: America's Team
User Info.
major label debut
05:43 AM on 06/20/08
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Best guest vocalist moment = Matt Skiba on "About Falling".
08:54 AM on 06/20/08
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Best guest vocalist moment = Matt Skiba on "About Falling".

I don't hear it but hey, if he's on there, it's pretty tops.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums