AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: A Silent Escape - 11.11.13

A Silent Escape - 11.11.13

Interviewed by
A Silent Escape - 11.11.13The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

A Silent Escape
https://www.facebook.com/asilentescape

1. How did you get your band name?
Well, the name's origin can be traced back to how the circumstances was around time when the band was formed. Due to both legal and personal matters. And us being stuck in dysfunctional situations with previous bands, with fear of losing everything in case of a contract violation for leaving bands/labels, A Silent Escape was formed under grave secrecy and silence, not be made official until almost a year later. It came to be our escape from a numb past and evolved into a mission to take on the present and the future with new found love for playing music. It was basically our silent escape to a place where we could be nothing but ourselves, just doing what we love to do.

2. How did this band get started?
In my opinion the band hasn't really gotten started until right about now, which may sound weird because we've already released one
album before Black Heart and have done a lot of shows in various countries. But the past years has been quite turbulent with past members, involving a lot of drug abuse, later escalating into mental illnesses, and finally resulting in members leaving the band because of it. And meanwhile the band as a unit has kept pedaling in between moving forward at super speed to just be hitting the breaks, causing a direct standstill. The whole story is very sad and it's a shame that it turned out this way all though a lot of effort was made by everyone involved. But it is first now that we can put all our focus on what's next to come, knowing that we will be able to give a 100% no matter what.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
I think you can find a lot of inspiration in every style of music and just about everything that's in your surroundings. I even know a
guy who came up with a riff whilst listening to the sound of his washing machine and that kind of proves the point a little bit. Joel and Patrick who writes most of the stuff are influenced by a lot of different styles and that goes for the rest of the band as well. When we're making music everything from metal, pop, punk and even hip hop has a part in creating the sound that is A Silent Escape. But as to bands that we admire and are into, the answer would be the likes of In Flames, The Ghost Inside, Millencolin, A Day To Remember, Memphis May Fire, Architects, Bring Me The Horizon, Comeback Kid, Guns n' Roses, Muse, Iron Maiden to name a lot.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
I would love to get to play some shows with NOFX, even if our styles of music doesn't go together I reckon it would be a really good
time hanging out with them. It would also be an honor to go on tour with In Flames, Soilwork, At The Gates and the likes of them. I have lot of respect as to what they've done for Swedish metal in contributing to it's sound, to it's scene and basically putting Sweden on the metal map with a permanent marker.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
It's always fun tasting the local pizzas at the places we visit. Our hometown is known for having the best pizza in Sweden and it's
definitely a good time trying to find a town or city that maybe could beat the pie's we have back home. Still haven't come across a slice that's worthy of the title yet though.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
People should listen to our band simply because we're speaking the truth. The lyrics of our songs will always represent real
experiences and values of our own and we will never ever allow us to be censored or compromised in the music we make. All of us got a lot of dark experiences shrouded in our past's such as drug abuse, being bullied, foster care issues, D.U.I's, families with mental and alcohol problems, dysfunctional relationships etc. and all of that is reflected in our songs. We also think that we have managed to musically create a very distinct and dynamic sound that stands out in the new wave of metal, weaving in a lot of different metal/hardcore/punk styles into one. That style, combined with our "zero tolerance for what is wrong" lyrics is why people really should give us a go.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
It would definitely be the footballer and Swedish hero Zlatan Ibrahimovic, I absolutely love football and I imagine that scoring a
goal on a huge arena, in a big match, would be an awesome feeling.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
I would probably say something obnoxious like "I would like to thank my band for being the best and most awesome band in the whole
world" and then post a real thank you note later on. Cuz I imagine that I could never fit all the people that I would want to thank into one of those short speeches. I am so damn grateful to everyone who's supported us or helped us in anyway, especially to those who haven't had anything to gain on it themselves, and that is surely the highest level of thankfulness that I've ever felt. It would be a long list fitting all those names in but it would simply have to be done. Because each and everyone would deserve as much praise and salute as the next one.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
In a dreamworld I would definitely like to remove the business part of the whole thing. To me music ain't business. To me music is
music and those two should never ever be mixed. I think it affects the quality in a negative way, putting very shortsighted mindset into it all, and compromises the extent of new, good, up n coming music of hard working artists coming through the channels just to instead put out some stupid shit of a bigger "brand" trying to do the latest trend. Like that Britney Spears and Will I Am song for example. That's just a pure business product, it has nothing to do with music what so ever. The lyrics are pure nonsense and it is fucking fake.

10. Memorable tour experience?
Would definitely have say the Mankini incident on that one. I remember two years ago (all though I was really drunk) when we were in
Stoke one night, partying outside a Little Chef next to our hotel doing rap battles and dance offs. And all of a sudden the tiniest little almost clown car like thing pulls up on the parking lot in front of us. The car starts to drift around for like a minute or so, burning tires all over the place. And then out from the bushes runs a little man, wearing nothing but a mankini-ish Borat swimsuit on, and jumps into the car and drives off. We had no clue of what we just had witnessed and it has been a topic for discussion even to this day.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
To me AbsolutePunk simply means pure focus on the music and the bands and nothing else, as it should be. Where bands no matter what size, huge or small, gets a chance to reach people they might not reach otherwise. It brings a sense of equality to the table that surely that the whole industry could use a bit of. Sites like AP.net is one of the most important things left in the Music industry today. At least that is my opinion.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Easily "Black Heart." I always get a little extra adrenaline boost when it's counted in and when the riff explodes I can't help my self to go nuts. I usually end up on the floor during the outro and afterwards it feels like I just ran a marathon. Love it!

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I have not traveled that much actually but it will most definitely have to be to a warm place when I do. It is so damn cold in
Sweden during most of the year so I'm a little fed up with that. You'd have to pay me to go on a skiing trip or something like that and I would probably just stay in cabin playing X-box the whole time during. Me and Patrick went to Spain for partying last year and that was awesome!

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
I remember getting in to a lot of punk bands in the early stages of school. Me and a friend were always listening to NOFX, Millencolin, Bad Religion and Rancid type of bands, thinking it was the coolest thing we've ever heard. I guess it was on that path I came to pick up an instrument for the first time later on as well. The first CD I ever got was a Backstreet Boys album though haha.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Definitely to be able to move and create things with my mind and have Psychokinetic powers. Like making a building collapse just by
looking at it. I would most likely be more of a villain than a superhero though, I got a lot suppressed hate and anger inside of me that probably would be released if I got a hold of such powers.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
No, just stretching a lot before and after. Otherwise you'll be very soar and stale if you have another show coming up the day after.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
All of us in the band has gone trough a lot of dark, yet different, episodes growing up which has left scars in all of us and you can
hear that the songs on our album reflects that and they will probably also do so on the next albums to come. But on a personal stage we're really a very positive group who's taken all the bad memories and turned them into an advantage and used it to become stronger. All experiences, good and bad, have helped us widen our perspective a lot and we do have a really humble approach to life itself. All tough most of the stuff that you see happening in the world right now pisses you off from time to time.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
The current state of radio I think is quite narrow and boring in general, at least in Sweden however, except for the public service
stations. I mean the mainstream radio plays like 9 songs on repeat, hell even the radio on Grand Theft Auto has wider play list and that's a fucking video game. And the biggest metal/rock channel is also they owned by the same media owner as the mainstreams ones so they just play "Highway to Hell" all day. I would love to see more diversity in styles of music on the radio and I somehow think it would expand the mind of the listener as well when being exposed to different kind of tunes and lyrics instead of hearing "We can't stop partying in this club" accompanied by an alien bass beat 24 hours a day. That's brainwashing people's heads to me. Even the songs that are actually good becomes repulsive after while so something is obviously wrong. Though I do reckon we would have positive outcome if our songs was played on the radio. But only if it's on a UK or US metal station where the songs are a little bit more diverse.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
When not on tour, in studio or at work we always try to find new ways for the band to grow and that takes up a lot of the spare time too. If you really want to get somewhere then it is simply what you have to be prepared for. You can never do enough in the means of expanding the band, like write new music, book new shows and market yourself in new areas. I believe there are no shortcuts to it and if you work the hardest you'll get the furthest most definitely. But when we feel the need to relax a bit we play video games, party, meditate, hang out with our girlfriends and eat good food. But not in that particular order of course! We just enjoy life as much as possible.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
As boring as the answer will be to this question I'll think I have to say none at the moment. Still trying to discover them.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests