|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer|
1. How did you get your band name?
When we first began Polaris Rose, we started with an idea for our sound and a dozen or so songs. We had a song called 'Polaris' that really summed up where we were in our lives. The tune is about being an artist and trying to let your intuition guide you.Peter was wandering around his apartment one afternoon in a caffeinated stupor (he drinks at least 6 cups a day) and the idea for 'Polaris Rose' popped into his head. We liked the name because it was a bit of a play on words. We went for it and retitled the song 'Polaris' as 'Telescopes.'
2. How did this band get started?
We (Peter & Maddie) met at a friend's show in Boston. We had a lot of mutual friends and had been in one another's circle for years, but we had never met. We hit it off immediately when Michael Jackson's 'Rock with You' came on the jukebox. We bonded over that song. It wasn't long until we were writing songs together.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
Peter is really influenced by the Smashing Pumpkins, Failure, and Steely Dan. Maddie loves Fleetwood Mac and anything having to do with Dave Grohl.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
We'd love to go on tour with our idols, obviously… but I think touring with Failure during their Fantastic Planet days would have been a great show and we would have just loved to watch it.
5. Best food to eat on tour?
We eat a lot of Subway.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
You might like it.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Lance Armstrong - where else can you get such great drugs?… Too soon?
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
We'd probably take that time to apologize to the Deftones. Maddie flipped off Abe and Frank at a dive bar in NoHo once after we played a show… She can be like that.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
There's a lot of things that make you roll your eyes. We say all the time "It is what it is" and try to work around the things that are obstacles.
10. Memorable tour experience?
We once signed up to play a festival somewhere in the northeast. We showed up to find a hippy commune in the woods with a small stage in the middle of a field. Next to the stage was a hippy pedaling on a bicycle. When we asked them where they were getting power they pointed to the bike and said "right there". Needless to say, during our first song that night, the power cut off and we were left standing on stage in total, awkward silence.
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
To us, places like Absolute Punk are what keep music fresh. They are constantly sharing new and notable music with people who might otherwise never get a chance to hear them. We love being exposed to new ideas constantly.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Our favorite song is usually the newest one that we've added to our set. It's super fun to discover a song and hone it.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
We live in LA, which kind of feels like we're always on vacation.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Michael Jackson for Peter. Meatloaf for Maddie.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Peter would like to freeze time. Just think of all the horribly hilarious things you could do to the people around you.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
We always try to make friends with the other bands. It helps create a friendly atmosphere.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Maddie is deathly afraid of open water because there might be sharks. But she's not afraid of sharks (so she says).
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
We like to think some of our music could do well on the radio. There's a certain formula that radio people like to hear in music. Sometimes our songs fit that mold, sometimes they don't. We always try to be melodic when we write though, and that seems very radio-friendly to us.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We don't have much spare time, but Maddie is super passionate about Yoga. Peter writes sci-fi books.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Maddie can touch her toes. Peter and touch his kneecaps.
No one has commented on this interview.You can be the first. |