AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Morning Parade - Alienation EP Album Cover

Morning Parade - Alienation EP

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Morning Parade - Alienation EP
Record Label: Dec. 10, 2013
Release Date: SO Recordings

Who?
Morning Parade are a five-piece from Harlow, Essex, UK that formed in 2007 and released their self-titled debut in 2012. The band formed over a mutual love of Mew and Biffy Clyro. Alienation was produced by Ben Allen (Animal Collective, CeeLo Green). The EP serves as a precursor for their sophomore full length due in early 2014.

How is it?
Absolutely fantastic. The EP opens with the rattling and narcotic opener “Shake the Cage,” laden with searing guitars; Steve Sparrow’s robust vocals, which are not unlike Oasis’ Liam Gallagher; and a polish and sheen that demands widespread attention. There’s hints of machinated effects throughout but never once do they distort or diminish from the band’s stadium-size sound. Pliant electro-effects enter the picture on the title track, an immediate and surefire head-turner that screams both radio domination as well as sex appeal. Though this writer's prognostications are seldom correct, the song seems to point towards a bright future come 2014.

That of course is not to meant slight the shuffling and sleek “Reality Dream,” which shimmers and swerves with an effortlessness and zest that makes one think this EP probably came to the band as naturally as folding laundry. Not one to go without a bang, the quintet offer up the cocksure and brazen “Culture Vulture,” an absolute stunner that is as bold as it is expertly crafted. By the time the song ends, the urge to go back to the beginning is far too hard to ignore. Being that Alienation is only four songs, the anticipation for the full-length goes without saying. If this EP is any indication, 2014 should be a giant year for Morning Parade. The 20 minutes that make up Alienation prove exactly that.

Morning Parade is Steve Sparrow (lead vocals, guitar, piano)
Andrew Hayes (Drums)
Phil Titus (Bass, backing vocals)
Ben Giddings (Piano, synths backing vocals)
Chad Thomas (Lead guitar)

Recommended If You Like Oasis, Blur, Cast, The Verve

Find Them Here http://www.morningparade.com

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
09:44 PM on 12/09/13
bairhsnyva
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Not a lot of bands are able to sound honest and heartfelt while playing a radio friendly sound
03:13 AM on 12/10/13
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Not a lot of bands are able to sound honest and heartfelt while playing a radio friendly sound
Amen to that!
01:32 PM on 12/10/13
TylerHartman
User Info.
So stoked to see them open for Biffy in February. :)
07:46 AM on 12/11/13
blue_light_888
User Info.
I had no idea they had a new EP out. Will investigate pronto.

EDIT: Alright, wow. The self-titled was good, but this is just on another level. The songwriting has progressed leaps and bounds and Steve Sparrow sounds so self-assured. This sound works really well with them: sharper, angrier, bolder.

Basically I will now await 2014 with bated breath.
04:02 PM on 12/12/13
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
So stoked to see them open for Biffy in February. :)
i know, going to be awesome. i've got my tickets for the Seattle show.
05:43 PM on 12/12/13
aj4mizzou
I'm more of a rare coins guy
User Info.
these dudes are so good. their debut was easily one of my favorite albums from last year.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos