AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Video News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

How Lyric Videos Became Music's Hottest Star

Posted by - 05:36 PM on 12/13/13
This article from The Hollywood Reporter on the rise of lyric videos is great reading.
And the content can be monetized, thanks to YouTube's ad revenue sharing program. "Revenue for an All Time Low band video with 30 million views is not especially significant," says Harrison ($150,000, according to one expert). "But if you have 1,000 or more pieces of content on your channel, those monthly revenue sums for each video start to really multiply." One source estimates a major label like Warner Bros. Records, whose YouTube channel boasts 1.2 billion views and includes lyric-only and traditional clips by such artists as Green Day and Linkin Park, stands to earn $25 million a year from video views.

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10
07:02 PM on 12/13/13
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
Damn, I could really use a viral video.
07:42 PM on 12/13/13
Joey-Wan Kenobi
fourth and goal
User Info.
Damn, I could really use a viral video.

Mantis TOBA...
09:49 PM on 12/13/13
bunneh.
make moves, son
User Info.
30m views and $150k isn't significant? And here I am having the worst time paying off these student loans :/

(I realize that touring, making music has a mountain of costs associated with it so i'm sure it's still not as much money as they'd hope for but shit)
11:07 PM on 12/13/13
heyzombiehitler
has feelings
User Info.

Hahahahahaha
05:57 AM on 12/14/13
priceofsilver
User Info.
The whole world of YouTube and the fact that people earn a living just by making videos is absolutely fascinating to me.
09:24 AM on 12/14/13
RaginCajun
I didn't know she was your sister
User Info.
Considering tv shows don't get 30million views anymore, it would be a better investment to either host your own videos after you get a following and collect your own advertising money, or pitch your video to tv and get paid more without needing 30mil views. 10mill would suffice in being a hit.

Google is giving you a miniscule fraction of the revenue your work is actually bringing in...
09:37 PM on 12/14/13
circasurvivor
User Info.
10:35 AM on 12/15/13
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
thought the news post said "lyric videos as great reading" haha
03:24 AM on 12/16/13
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
The whole world of YouTube and the fact that people earn a living just by making videos is absolutely fascinating to me.
Especially the ones who just play video games. I've seen instances where people have been able to quit their day jobs because of YouTube.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos