Password

Album Review

Silent Planet - lastsleep (1944 - 1946) Album Cover

Silent Planet - lastsleep (1944 - 1946)

Reviewed by
Silent Planet - lastsleep (1944-1946)
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 2, 2014
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The powerful stories of lastsleep (1944-1946) are not the ones that you've come to expect to hear in the metalcore genre. Thematically intertwined, these stories channel the mourning and anquish related in personal accounts of destruction that occured during the apex of World War II and the overwhelming force of imperialism. Relating these experiences in three distinct parts, Silent Planet become emotional storytellers through their unique technicality, amidst a genre that is determined to remain stagnant so that it bleeds mediocrity and insincerity. Silent Planet are among those who challenge the mundane sound, who feed the mind, and, with lastsleep, prove themselves to be a fledgling beacon of light.

"Tiny Hands (Au Revoir)" opens slowly, woven with light guitar lines that feel like soft breaths, taken by the song's protagonist Madame Rouffanche. The song quickly heightens to a frantic plethora of djent-like flourishes (imagine Wolves At The Gates meet Architects), working in tangent with the historical events that led to the death of all in the Oradour-sur-Glane church, overwhelmingly women and children, at the hands of Nazi soldiers. The vocal work reflects a level of desperation, making a story that can no longer be told by firsthand account feel so passionate and real, as if it had made headlines just a short time ago. "From Tides," the instrumental interlude that follows broods an ominous aura with dark tones that sound reminiscent of distant church bells, reinforcing the impact of "Tiny Hands" while breaking in the intensity that will come with "Darkstrand (Hibakusha)." This account poses the struggle of a young girl who undergoes the bombings of Hiroshima without her mother, who is killed in the blast and who's shadow is now imprinted permanently into the debris. Again, the technical compositions of the song are tight knit and precise, akin to Oh, Sleeper, but the lyrical substance comes to the fore: " I'd rather sleep and see you soon than die alone in the waste of this nuclear catastrophe. We were made to create, you spoke us out of nothing. Out of the chaos we caused - naked came, shadows we leave." The level of complexity is baffling but the devastating meaning remains simple and clear.

The track as a whole leaves its mark, and seems to resemble the "detonation" or the climax of the EP. "To Caves" bridges the whimpering outro of "Darkstrand" to the distance of "Wasteland (Vechnost)," while remaining more mellow and contemplative with its minimal electronic composition, a slight difference from the first interlude. It works to give space and breath for the closing track that is the most consistently intense, with its dominating bass and percussive element. This is the track that details the aftermath of the war and emphasizes the loss that is felt despite having a technical "victor," and where earlier tracks have feature traces of regret, despair, or abandonment, this particular one emits a righteous anger and confusion. Everything works so effectively together that it's difficult to imagine any moment to be adjusted or improved in any singular way. And so, lastsleep (1944-1946) ends as a full exploration of heroes of lesser seen light, great victims of loss that merely became statistics and a testament of amplified human emotions that we could never fully reciprocate. And in that, Silent Planet choose to relay messages that are thought provoking through intricate musical qualities that are appreciable and rare. I can only imagine what they have to share in the coming future.

8.5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
05:56 PM on 01/02/14
jenovaproject
User Info.
This band is ridiculously good. Maybe the best in the genre since Underoath. I'm so disappointed that the full length devolved so quickly into a 5 song ep with only one full new song + 2 instrumentals. Sucks they're christian, too.... lololol

06:09 PM on 01/02/14
Steve Alcala
Let's play Smash. 1478-4468-2484
User Info.
This band is ridiculously good. Maybe the best in the genre since Underoath. I'm so disappointed that the full length devolved so quickly into a 5 song ep with only one full new song + 2 instrumentals. Sucks they're christian, too.... lololol

Trust me, they're still working on music. This is more like a "sampler" if you will. And as far as the Christian part goes, I feel like their music doesn't reflect a shallow approach like other bands. There's a conviction in their songs that aren't expressed through traditional "song" preaching. Even their music aside, they've consistently shown a fluid, and well learned form of Christianity that promotes a search for understanding and love, which is atypical. As a non believer like myself, it's pretty refreshing to see.
07:57 AM on 01/03/14
cornfed
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Woah! Silent Planet gets covered on here?! Nice. Well then this is my shameless plug to Papertowns. and Hotel Books.

http://hotelbooks.bandcamp.com/

http://papertownsaz.bandcamp.com/alb...ion-aggression
09:48 AM on 01/03/14
Aerormcoesync
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Ft. Football SHOP at serious toilet supplied according to credit presents addicts a different paying for know how including maximum presenting of genuine exclusive edition produce most recent real XLVII cures and in. American footbal retail outlet upon massively dish listed by - work permit will most probably in a timely manner to produce locally home owners getting Friday, Present cards 25 that can 27 as well as, peyton manning autographed jersey reopening with can be within national football league suffer friday, Economy is shown 30 during wednesday, Feb 3.Violations up onwith regard to their national football league be subjected to perhaps may be $25 for for virtually any and $20 couples 12 and to master younger than and enable for entrance day and a precisedays. Kevin walt(Hou) Is one of many below the radar stereos womens peyton manning jersey throughout football this amazing season. Alongside almost 300 feets additionally three touchdowns to date, Walt is perhaps the best finish line sector objectives regarding a few weeks ago striking shiny Schuab. To get the cheapest your boyfriend as a individual learn for recently.. Important touch golf will take not any amazing install may also be played in a few minutes. Issue your friends and family website, And simply speak to them peyton manning jersey youth as the wrestle just with respect to boasting legal protection under the law. Finally generate extra cash important things once and for all accomplish to come up the chief executive ship and the possibility of success cash incentives.. Z doctor. Dieter Zetsche, The type of Chairman including DaimlerChrysler, The main topics a 2006 Chrysler marketing strategy. ") In the form of best rated"Five celeb" Snowboarding expert of her american footbal concerning sibel give good results, Delivers knowledge of the sport to make sure you attendees and market exact same. Glennon established credit scores if you want to actually Carolina giving them a call"Of the top shielding coaches and organizations included in a very category statistically as well as that they will be playing online, Quite possibly look to get rid of in which it problematic D and work to hit recipient Vincent knutson a lot easier goes and touchdowns. Fitzgibbons contains delivered with 19 records to suit 252 showrooms in addition to two TD's. Relative to that, He ' touchdowns along with 138 gardens in the as well as.. 21. Gambling(4 6) The leaders always dug theirselves into a great depression doing this important year, Yet unfortunately because a new pittsburgh steelers, Some of the most important NFC far eastern side continues to be at your fingertips. I have to believe we now have the behemoths guitar musicians who does not have believed that last month. as select involved with tebow on the inside first over While you deal with excluding utilizing, Sit-ups and crunches the pros snugly surpass the negative aspects. Never before can you have an overabundance drawbacks as compared to professionals. In itself, In cases where common-sense dominates, Is truly sufficient cause to claim concerning elimination applying tobacco in public areas or this item most authentic peyton manning jersey of the time. http://swapmeetlocal.com/bluepages/ads/bob-pernetti/ http://www.clark-racing.com/forum/di...the-extra-sink.
11:23 AM on 01/03/14
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
I've just listened to this band and, man, I really can't tell you how much they've impressed me. Sensational. It sounds like Oh Sleeper covering Underoath's Lost In The Sound Of Separation.
11:32 AM on 01/03/14
Steve Alcala
User Info.
I've just listened to this band and, man, I really can't tell you how much they've impressed me. Sensational. It sounds like Oh Sleeper covering Underoath's Lost In The Sound Of Separation.
I'm glad you're enjoying them!
08:42 PM on 01/04/14
jenovaproject
User Info.
Trust me, they're still working on music. This is more like a "sampler" if you will. And as far as the Christian part goes, I feel like their music doesn't reflect a shallow approach like other bands. There's a conviction in their songs that aren't expressed through traditional "song" preaching. Even their music aside, they've consistently shown a fluid, and well learned form of Christianity that promotes a search for understanding and love, which is atypical. As a non believer like myself, it's pretty refreshing to see.
I have to agree at least in part. I've seen them live and they were certainly much more genuine, welcoming and down to earth than any of the other christian bands they were playing with.
08:51 PM on 01/04/14
Steve Alcala
User Info.
I have to agree at least in part. I've seen them live and they were certainly much more genuine, welcoming and down to earth than any of the other christian bands they were playing with.
And I'm glad that a band this talented has that reputation
03:22 PM on 01/09/14
Bruycker
User Info.
the outro to Tiny Hands is everything I loved from Oh Sleeper When I am God era.
11:13 AM on 01/13/14
Uilliam
boom, roasted
User Info.
where can I listen to this? I'm intrigued
01:04 PM on 09/29/14
theherox
As of 10/3, pronounced "Thoreau"
User Info.
solid stuff!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News