1.How did you get your band name? It was Graham, our guitarist who came up with the idea of it. "Animus" means demonic male ego.
2. How did this band get started? Drummer Poul Thomassen and guitarist Sam Gilmour have always been in bands together from a young age. They met Graham Brown in college whilst they were in college studying music and soon after, met Gavin Holloway who they enlisted on bass. We struggled to get a hold of a reliable vocalist until August 2012 when Aaron Fawns tried out for vocalist. That's when we hit our stride and haven't stopped writing/ gigging since!
3. What bands are you influenced by? We all have a metal background but all listen to different subgenres which when brought together, makes something pretty unique. Poul as he puts it likes anything not on MTV. Sam likes music with weird time signatures. Gavin likes drone music like SunnO))). Aaron listens
to mostly metalcore/ deathcore bands like Miss May I and Upon A Burning Body. Graham will listen to anything.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why? One band we would all love to tour with is After The Burial. The whole band loves them and half the band actually met them when they were on tour with Born of Osiris. Great bunch of guys. We could learn a lot from them whilst having a great time doing so.
5. Best food to eat on tour? As long as it is edible, we'll eat it. Usually before practice, we have a Domino's Pizza. Our love for the chiefs is unquestionable. Whilst Gavin will be happy with Tesco Value chicken rolls. Such a simple bunch.
6. Why should people listen to your band? We don't stick to genres. We just write what we feel sounds good instead of "THAT'S NOT TECHY! WE CAN'T HAVE THAT!". We believe this is what makes us unique and has brought us the attention we have received so far. We also put 150% into writing every song. Nothing worse than when you are listening to an album, really enjoying it and then you hear a song which you can tell they have thrown together just to add a number to the album.
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with? Adam Richmond from Man Vs Food......he counts right? Gavin wishes he had the physique of a professional darts player than the stick figure he has at the moment.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank? As cheesy as it sounds, every single person who helped us get there. Every person who has bought merch, downloaded our CD, been to a show, enjoyed our music, gave us a place to crash or gave us a gig opportunity. Pretty much, you played even the smallest part, even just chatting to us after a show we love you so much!
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be? We would change the attitude of some of the bands. Before/ after shows, we like to chat to the crowd and the other bands. Nothing annoys us more than these bands that play their set then disappears to their tour bus. The bands that are supporting these bands, this could be a dream come true for them to play with this band and would make their year if that band just spoke to them and had a laugh with them.
10. Memorable tour experience? It would have to be when we played Inverness. We were expecting to play to a handful of people but the place was packed. We met so many amazing people including our new best friend, Toby Michael's Rolling Damned. We then stayed at this crappy hostel. The owner had no idea what he was doing whatsoever and had creepy posters all over the place with sayings like "save water, shower together." The place ended up catching fire a few weeks later which we think was Graham's fault.
11. What does AP.net mean to you? We love websites like AbsolutePunk as its what we use to keep up with the bands we like and it's a great way to discover new bands.
12. What is your favorite song to play? It would definitely have to be one of our newer songs. Though these songs are yet to be recorded, they will be included in our new album in 2014. Our songs "Bloodstains" and "Slaughter of the Suits" seem to be crowd pleasers in our live shows with them being our heaviest, catchiest songs to date and people can tell that we have stepped up our game from our EP.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice? Anywhere with the band on tour. We all have jobs so when we tour we have to take time off so it is a vacation for us. We love going to different places no matter where it is, as long as the crowd are enjoying themselves we are having the time of our lives!
14. What music reminds you of your childhood? We all love a bit of David Bowie and Michael Jackson. Aaron was the unfortunate member as his family loves their boy bands (despite his father claiming to be a punk in his glory days) so was brought up listening to that. No wonder he turned into the angry sounding person he is.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why? Poul claims to be Batman......he is special. Gavin would love to be SlothMan as it would give him an excuse to sleep 20+ hours a day.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals? We all psych each other up as much as possible to put everything we have in each song. Gavin HAS to visit the toilet before he goes on stage. Graham never plays shows with his shoes on and Aaron likes wearing his favourite Transformers underwear when he plays. We do have a running joke whenever we post about gigs on our Facebook page, asking people to come along and punch Gavin to the floor. No
idea how it started but it seems to always show up with a gig announcement.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you? Whilst most of the band is aged between 20 - 22, Graham is close to 30. We always poke fun at him for being the old band of the group.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish? There are some great radio stations. Team Rock Radio and Planet Rock are definitely something we'd like to get involved with. Also the Daniel P Carter Rock show on Radio 1 is really good. Nice to hear some decent music being played on mainstream radio.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time? Most of our spare time is taken up with the band as we all have jobs but when we are not doing band related things, we just take it easy. Aaron and Poul have girlfriends and Gavin has a fiancée. Of course, we like just to hang out and have a drink and a good laugh.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have? Gavin has the ability to make a microwavable meal taste good. A feat we thought was impossible. Poul can eat nonstop. Seriously, it's quite scary. He just eats and eats but never seems full.