AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

Karen Dezelle - 01.06.14

Interviewed by: Zac Djamoos (01/13/14)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Karen Dezelle
www.karendezelle.com
www.facebook.com/karen.dezelle.music

1. How did you get your band name?
Karen: It was given to me by my parents. I was named after the little girl down the street.

2. How did this band get started?
John: We met each other at the Adelphi Ballroom in Philadelphia. No wait, that was Hall and Oates...
Karen: We met at a mutual friend’s Christmas party in 2011 on the Westside in Los Angeles. We played a couple of songs together there and decided to keep going.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Karen: Counting Crows, Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Jewel, Maria Taylor.
John: The Beach Boys, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Rolling Stones, Led Zep, The Cult, Wilco, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
John: Past: 70's Stones, to play with Mick Taylor and Keith Richards. Present: The Black Crowes, to play like Mick Taylor and Keith Richards.
Karen: Jason Isbell, M. Ward, Ray LaMontagne– artists I love to listen to live.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
John: Starbucks spinach feta wrap. Good, cheap, consistent.
Karen: Whatever is quick and easy...luna bars.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Karen: Because the songs are stories about what makes us human and imperfect so hopefully they are relatable. But they are also about acceptance so hopefully that makes them uplifting.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
John: Rich Gedman in 1986.
Karen: Babe Didrikson Zaharias because she was also from Texas, also has a Z in her last name, was a good singer and played harmonica.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
John: If we won it for this EP, I would thank Karen Dezelle, Chris Carmack, Albert Paniaqua, Danny Eisenberg, and Steve Hammons. And maybe Weird Al.
Karen: All of the above, adding Adrian Griffin, Gracie Tarver, Hannah Pifer, Mike Calimbas, Sera Roadnight, Marcie Mills, and my family.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
John: Better digital audio quality.
Karen: More diversity in what gets major airplay.

10. Memorable tour experience?
John: I yelled "I am a golden god" and jumped off some fans roof into his pool.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
Karen: It's a great place for new music discovery and finding up and coming artists. Also a great place to find a musician community and news written by musicians themselves. I also love the tagline “Music Mends Broken Hearts.”

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Karen: "Quitter."
John: "Love You Anyway" - (coming soon).

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Karen: London.
John: Four Seasons anywhere.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Karen: The records my parents used to play - J Geils Band, Supremes, Jim Croce, Allman Brothers, The Judds, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.
John: The Beach Boys, Sesame Street Theme.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Karen: Fly...or time travel.
John: I don't think time travel is a superpower.. Is it? Anyway, probably jump high enough to dunk a basketball. Well, might as well go with flying, that way I can kill two birds.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
John: Medio asiento and I also eat a lot of peanut butter cups with Earl Grey Tea.
Karen: I usually read something uplifting, say the lyrics out loud, sing along to artists that inspire me, and call a good friend that lives far away to talk about something else...that always calms me down.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
John: I tried out for "Menudo."
Karen: I listen to a lot of hip hop and my socks never match (except today, but it's the day after Christmas).

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Karen: Yes, I think it’s great for exposure and that online radio levels the playing field a lot for indie artists.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
John: Check out live music, go to the gym, drink craft beer.
Karen: Run, practice yoga, write, go to comedy shows and concerts.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
John: I'm good at trivia, I can juggle, I can carve a swan out of an apple, I can twirl a rifle.
Karen:I am good at crosswords and drawing....I have a pretty good memory and I make amazing banana bread.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2.
11:34 PM on 01/19/14
coolmonu143
Tricks For You
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great interview really enjoyed
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates