Password

Album Review

Neck Deep - Wishful Thinking Album Cover

Neck Deep - Wishful Thinking

Reviewed by
Neck Deep - Wishful Thinking
Record Label: Hopeless Records
Release Date: January 14, 2014

As a somewhat educated apprentice of pop-punk, one inevitably asks the question, "Shouldn't you just meet some new friends?" Lots of the problems detailed in an album like Neck Deep's debut Wishful Thinking could most likely be fixed by a simple change of scenery. Stop talking to girls in beanies and high heels! There's nothing cute about a Grey Goose keychain! I don't know, we were all young and some of us always will be. And it can certainly be excruciating to be constantly reminded over smashing drums and snotty vocals that the whole world is filled with garbage people. We take public transportation and wait in line at the grocery store; we don't need reminding.

But yet Neck Deep is just about the only thing I can listen to as of late. Ben Barlow keeps his sneer to a tolerable level and the guitars of Lloyd Roberts and Matt West jump the constraints of chug-chug bullshit quite regularly (see "Growing Pains" or "Crushing Grief (No Remedy)"). It's a pop-punk album for pop-punk fans, which is basically the point. End of review? Haha, you're not that lucky. It's unnecessary rant time.

Truth be told, I feel like every compliment I give these guys is supposed to have some sort of backhanded insult. It's not Neck Deep's fault people deride the genre, and it's not really my job to save it. But just because it's pop-punk and it's simple and it's angry, we're supposed to connect in secret. However, this stuff is just fucking fun and fast and oh-my-god-what-a-blast. After gorging on their Rain In July EP for what feels like my whole life, I figured this new one would snap me out of my spell, but it's just added to my Neck Deep habit. There's no point in going in-depth for something that is so comfortable being honest and transparent. Example: A song called "Damsel In Distress" has a chorus that says, "She's a witch / She's a mess / She's a waste of time." But oh boy it's done so well you'll be screaming it at your cat all night.

These guys have created a pop-punk album that isn't timeless, but that's not the point. Wishful Thinking, by design, tells the story of a point in time, one that only has meaning because it won't last. And other than the unfortunate re-recording of "What Did You Expect?", the band has succeeded in giving plenty of people the power to let it all out in the here and now. Music isn't mysterious. It's some melodies and harmonies and words we can create meaning around. Someone once said to me the best products are the ones you already know how to use, and I often feel that way about music. The best music is something you already know you'll love.

SCORE: 8.5/10
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Recommended If You Like: The Story So Far, Forever Comes Calling, Man Overboard, State Champs

Probably in a notebookwww.neckdeepuk.com

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
07:30 AM on 01/14/14
iamalexenglish
So watch out, you're in danger
User Info.
Wow that was fast! I will defiantly check this out now! I listened to their single Growing Pains and couldn't stop listening to it so I'm sure I'll love Wishful Thinking!
08:08 AM on 01/14/14
jakeisthebest
I'm just a fucked up kid
User Info.
When I saw them last night some guys started shouting "play quicksand" between songs haha. The band is forever going to get compared to TSSF.

This album is good though, and to be honest, I probably enjoy it more than TSSF newest album.
08:21 AM on 01/14/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
When I saw them last night some guys started shouting "play quicksand" between songs haha. The band is forever going to get compared to TSSF.

This album is good though, and to be honest, I probably enjoy it more than TSSF newest album.
definitely, to your second point.
08:22 AM on 01/14/14
InfiniteArms
Oh, the places you'll go!
User Info.
Wow that was fast! I will defiantly check this out now! I listened to their single Growing Pains and couldn't stop listening to it so I'm sure I'll love Wishful Thinking!
Definitely*
08:23 AM on 01/14/14
caraballo
Gnarkill
User Info.
The album is super catchy and fun, I can't stop listening to it
08:29 AM on 01/14/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
haha i kind of liked thinking about him defiantly checking it out. with like a mean mug on his face and a sword held at someone's throat.
08:47 AM on 01/14/14
Chrisj182
User Info.
I got a thank you note on this album, so i'm proud that this got a decent review on here.
08:53 AM on 01/14/14
iamalexenglish
User Info.
Lmao hey thanks
08:54 AM on 01/14/14
iamalexenglish
User Info.
haha i kind of liked thinking about him defiantly checking it out. with like a mean mug on his face and a sword held at someone's throat.
Lmfao!!
09:49 AM on 01/14/14
Avalanche1
Keep running, keep shining on
User Info.
Solid pop punk album. Has some really catchy songs. I think Losing Teeth and Crushing Grief are my favorites. Oh and Candour.
10:14 AM on 01/14/14
GetUpAndrew
The Things We Think We're Missing
User Info.
Crushing Grief is probably the best song this band has ever written.
10:19 AM on 01/14/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Crushing Grief is probably the best song this band has ever written.
totes agree.
11:09 AM on 01/14/14
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
I didn't like this on my first two listens, I like their EP's though.

This tends to happen a lot with pop punk bands that release EP's before their full length. I feel like they just rarely can do what they did on their EP on a full length

But I'm gonna check this out a couple more times maybe it will grow on me! Good review
11:32 AM on 01/14/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
I didn't like this on my first two listens, I like their EP's though.

This tends to happen a lot with pop punk bands that release EP's before their full length. I feel like they just rarely can do what they did on their EP on a full length

But I'm gonna check this out a couple more times maybe it will grow on me! Good review
totes, it's a genre that is just better in EP format. But this one is pretty good. Repetitive like all these albums, but still a lot of fun to bop along to.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos