AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Tour Dates News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Rainfest 2014 Announces First Half of Lineup

Posted by - 10:02 PM on 01/15/14
Every Memorial Day weekend at Neumos in Seattle, WA, the best hardcore festival in America takes place - Rainfest. The first half of this year's announcement has been posted, along with ticket links (which will go fast). Head to the replies to check out the bands, which include: Down to Nothing, Backtrack, and Cold World. The second half of the bands will be released February 15th at 9pm PST. Oh yeah, did I mention Andrew W.K. may perform? Nobody can miss that.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
10:03 PM on 01/15/14
Jake Denning
User Info.
BACKTRACK
BL’AST!
BREAK AWAY
COKE BUST
COLD WORLD
DISCOURSE
DOWN TO NOTHING
EXPIRE
GAG
HOLY LAND
IVY LEAGUE
KEEP IT CLEAR
MINUS
MODERN LIFE IS WAR
REPLICA
SAFE AND SOUND
TERRITORY
THE BANNER
UNRESTRAINED
10:21 PM on 01/15/14
FiendCameron
Why Didn't You Kill Yourself Today?
User Info.
Best? Sound and Fury (if it happens again) would like a word haha.
10:36 PM on 01/15/14
Ourchestra
User Info.
Solid lineup. Coke Bust and MLIW should be worth the trip alone. Everyone should check out Gag too.
10:44 PM on 01/15/14
Jake Denning
User Info.
Shout out to Safe And Sound.
10:53 PM on 01/15/14
wushuwarrior21
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good lineup. Also stoked for the pre show with Seaweed, Comeback Kid, and Make Do And Mend.
10:57 PM on 01/15/14
TerrancePryor
twitter.com/terrancepryor
User Info.
Best? Sound and Fury (if it happens again) would like a word haha.

Haha. This Is Hardcore will probably have another crazy lineup this year. Not sure how they can beat having Gwar last year.
12:46 AM on 01/16/14
cdmccomas
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Shout out to Safe And Sound.
Best hardcore band right now in the NW
01:40 AM on 01/16/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
Why does our one punkish festival have to be so hardcore focused =( Guess we just don't have enough smaller bands in the PNW to stage something like Stay Sweet.

We had sound fest a few years back but the guys running it completely fucked it up.

oh well
08:22 AM on 01/16/14
ZachMadeMeOdd
<("<) ^( " )^ (>")>
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Haha. This Is Hardcore will probably have another crazy lineup this year. Not sure how they can beat having Gwar last year.

Not to mention the great reunions they always have. Pretty sure TIH takes the cake.
09:06 AM on 01/16/14
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Not sure I would call that "the best," but that's a damn good line up.
09:54 AM on 01/16/14
Chrisj182
User Info.
I get to see a few of those bands (Expire, Backtrack, Cold World and Coke Bust) in the UK this year but damn that's a solid line-up.
12:12 PM on 01/16/14
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
Why does our one punkish festival have to be so hardcore focused =( Guess we just don't have enough smaller bands in the PNW to stage something like Stay Sweet.

We had sound fest a few years back but the guys running it completely fucked it up.

oh well

I totally agree, I wish this was a wider variety of bands and genres. There's always a couple of bands playing Rainfest that make me want to go, but not if I have to sit through a few hours of generic hardcore bullshit, and certainly not enough to buy a full weekend pass. That was part of my problem with Sound Fest, there weren't enough bands of interest for me to buy a weekend pass (the other major problem was how spread out the venues were). And the one venue I did go to during Sound Fest didn't even charge me at the door. That whole thing was just a huge clusterfuck.

The thing is, we have many small pop-punk bands here, enough to certainly put on a festival, but I doubt local bands alone would draw enough to sell out even a place like Neumos (especially when the bulk of these bands play The Kraken on a near-monthly basis). Hell, most of those shows at The Kraken aren't even full. We were a city that was skipped over for a long time by smaller bands who couldn't justify visiting our little corner of the country, but we're starting to get more and more of those tours rolling through, even if they're just playing The Kraken or the Black Lodge. Hopefully we can one day have a festival of our own that'll draw some noteworthy out-of-towners, as our scene is pretty god damn awesome.
12:44 PM on 01/16/14
CluckyB
Modern Baseball is WAR
User Info.
I totally agree, I wish this was a wider variety of bands and genres. There's always a couple of bands playing Rainfest that make me want to go, but not if I have to sit through a few hours of generic hardcore bullshit, and certainly not enough to buy a full weekend pass. That was part of my problem with Sound Fest, there weren't enough bands of interest for me to buy a weekend pass (the other major problem was how spread out the venues were). And the one venue I did go to during Sound Fest didn't even charge me at the door. That whole thing was just a huge clusterfuck.

The thing is, we have many small pop-punk bands here, enough to certainly put on a festival, but I doubt local bands alone would draw enough to sell out even a place like Neumos (especially when the bulk of these bands play The Kraken on a near-monthly basis). Hell, most of those shows at The Kraken aren't even full. We were a city that was skipped over for a long time by smaller bands who couldn't justify visiting our little corner of the country, but we're starting to get more and more of those tours rolling through, even if they're just playing The Kraken or the Black Lodge. Hopefully we can one day have a festival of our own that'll draw some noteworthy out-of-towners, as our scene is pretty god damn awesome.
(oh hey its Tony! Didn't realize you posted here too! (this is Drew))

Yeah, Sound Fest suffered from a less than stellar lineup, being too spread out, nobody showing up, and then of course the issues with the promoters not paying anyone. It was something where everything need to go right, and instead everything went wrong.

For a punkish festival to work here it probably has to be the one venue kind of approach that Rainfest does. Also location certainly doesn't help. Stay Sweet works because of the plethora of good bands based in places like Richmond, Philly, New York and Ohio. Seattle has some good local bands, but not really anyone that would draw in a lot of people from out of town which is part of what you need to make festivals work.

Of course, I probably shouldn't be complaining about the quality of the scene here though given I'm terrible at actually making it out to the smaller shows at places like the Kraken...
12:45 PM on 01/16/14
Arry
apreeesh
User Info.
I love living like 5 blocks from Neumos. And I'm always busy when Rainfest comes around. Hopefully I can finally make it to this one.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos