AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
The Weaks - The World Is A Terrible Place & I Hate... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 7
Production 7
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

The Weaks - The World Is A Terrible Place & I Hate...

Reviewed by: Zac Djamoos (02/03/14)
The Weaks - The World Is A Terrible Place And I Hate Myself And Want To Die
Release Date: February 11, 2014
Record Label: Lame-O

Who is it?
The Weaks is a musical duo of Philadelphians Evan Bernard and Chris Baglivo. They play some type of punk inflected powerpop that I’m sure will really catch on, particularly on this site, when they put out some more material.

How is it?
It’s best summed up in the opener “Nightswimming at the Full Moon Party.” At three minutes and ten seconds, it’s significantly longer than the other five tracks, allowing the song to really build up. It starts with echoing vocals over a quiet guitar – then about a minute in you’re told that “we can dream together,” and the full band jumps in. It’s a catchy slice of pop music, and a great way to usher listeners in. “Nietzche’s Harvest Song” follows suit, a track more in the vein of something off the first Tigers Jaw release than its predecessor. The EP begins to lose steam after that, unfortunately. The second vocalist takes the mic on “Instantaneous Vertical Speed,” and he’s just not as capable a vocalist. His voice is softer than the other’s, and has a similarly irritating twinge to that of The Front Bottoms’ Brian Sella. Luckily, the song picks up after its subdued intro and you’re lost in Pinkerton-ish riffs. He takes the vocal reigns again on closer “Dunce Pageant,” which begins akin to “Speed,” but then rushes ahead to the EP’s most memorable hook. And then there’s a song like “How to Put an Audience to Sleep in Under Two Minutes” (which, annoyingly, is longer than two minutes). It’s completely different from the other tracks, boasting a faster tempo and more of a punk influence than anything else. It’s probably the album’s most rewarding track, and amusingly enough includes the phrase “we would’ve been toast.”

All things considered, The World Is is a satisfying debut effort. It’s not breaking any new ground, but it’s entertaining enough to listen to. There are a few drawbacks, notably in vocals, but that’s a given with any album. The world is a beautiful place, and The Weaks are helping to make it that way.

Recommended If You LikeWeezer’s Pinkerton; The Sidekicks’ Awkward Breeds; Tigers Jaw’s Tigers Jaw

7/10

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
08:31 PM on 02/09/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
i love it~~
09:59 PM on 02/12/14
holypinto
http://holypinto.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Hit the nail on the head with the Weezer RIYL, I hear so much of them in this EP. Good review!
07:34 AM on 02/20/14
iamalexenglish
Aren't Kids Anymore…
User Info.
Is that name bashing The World Is A Beautiful Place... or am I just interpreting it that way.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums