AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.

When We Team Up - 02.06.14

Interviewed by: Zac Djamoos (02/10/14)
The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

When We Team Up
https://www.facebook.com/whenweteamup

1. How did you get your band name?
This band was started by myself (Brenden McBrayer: Bass) and Sean (Smith: Vocalist). The whole approach was getting the best dudes from the Portland area and getting a solid lineup. So thatís kind of where I got the name from, it's like we canít fail when we work together.

2. How did this band get started?
Like I said, the band started when I met online. I was friends with a bunch of dudes in the pop punk scene already, I knew dudes from A Loss For Words, The Wonder Years, Man Overboard, With The Punches, and a bunch more and I had these songs that I knew would do well, but I didnít have a band. So I got online and found sean, we found an original lineup through seanís friends but it wasnít really working out so we started grabbing really good musicians from other bands around us. We got Will (Terada: Guitar) pretty early on, and then added Brenden (Debozy: Guitar) a couple of months later. Both were in metal bands at the time. Then we got Tony (La Roche: Drums) who was previously in Reno hardcore band xAFBx in early 2014 after our previous drummers flaked out for various reasons.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Oh man, early 2000s pop punk like Yellowcard, The Movielife, Midtown, Blink 182, New Found Glory, Home Grown, and then the more recent stuff put out by our peers like Forever Came Calling, A Loss For Words, With The Punches, and Handguns. We really consume a lot of music, anytime anything pop punk related drops we get a copy and share with each other and listen to it again and again.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
Obviously we would want to tour with our friends. Forever Came Calling, A Loss For Words, Vanna, The Wonder Years but there are some obvious bands that we donít know like Set Your Goals that would be rad to play with as well.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
Pizza. Itís so terribly stereotypical, but true.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
We live and breathe to write catchy pop punk. So many bands donít try to find the hook in a song, and we thrive for it. We always try to leave each song with either a riff, or a chorus, or a melody that you won't be able to get out of your head.

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
Michael Phelps gets to eat a lot and hang out in a pool all day, so thatís not that bad of a life. But anyone of the 49ers would be a dream for me. Our guitarist Will is a seahawks fan, needless to say he would be bummed if I was hanging with those guys.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Black Sabbath, Minor Threat, Bad Religion, and At The Gates. Without those bands, none of this would exist.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
There are so many things to hate about the current state of the music industry. But the three main things would beÖ
1: How many bands are out there: it's so easy to record some garbage on your laptop, make it sound decent, and put up a Facebook page. Makes it really, really hard to garner any attention when there are 100 new bands coming out each month.
2: The value of music: now that the mp3 and the leak are the main source of music for a lot of kids, it makes music a lot more disposable. A lot of kids donít even listen to albums any more. They just rip songs off of youtube. I remember getting CDs back when I was 18 and listening to every song at least 50 times before deciding to go purchase another. I feel like kids donít do that anymore and that sucks.
3: How people in bands act now days: It's seriously disgusting how scene has kind of turned into a TMZ version of itself. Everyone is fighting and doing drugs and its totally what hardcore and punk started out trying to go against. Ask Ian MacKaye what he thinks about the scene that came after his head and then tell me whats good.

10. Memorable tour experience?
I was the tour manager for the last ever Attack! Attack! tour. Be on stage for the last show ever was pretty insane. The energy was unreal. Lot of good friends were made on that tour as well, big shout out to the dudes in The Plot In You, Get Scared, Dangerkids, and Closer To Closure and of course to the Attack! Attack! Family and all of the guest artists that came out from bands like We Came As Romans, Beartooth, and In Fear And Faith. It was a great send off.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
The front page is a great place to find news about all the different genres that make up the scene. Good source for up to the minute news on hardcore, punk, pop punk, post hardcore, indie, and metal news.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
"The Outpour." It always gets the best response, even from kids who have never heard it before.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Australia would be nice. If all of the wildlife out there wasnít designed to kill the fuck out of us.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
If it played on MTV or MTV2 at some point between 1989 and 2001 then thatís in the back of my mind someplace always with The Real Ghostbusters and Marvel Comic Books.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
The weird thing about this question is, is that whenever you answer it, you always think about a power that would give you great personal gain and or being a creep. What could I use to steal a bunch of money or spy on hot naked chicks? I mean those are super villain tendencies so I try not to answer this question, only because I'm afraid of what I will learn about myself.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
We like to tune before we play. Thatís about it.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Lets see. I will throw out a fact about all of the members of the band.
Iím the vet of the group, Iíve written for magazines like AMP, Hails and Horns, and New Noise, I manage a band called I Am Abomination, and I was a tour manager for Attack! Attack!
Sean is like the guy to go to to talk about Magic: The Gathering, he works in a comic book shop and can get any card, the Forever Came Calling dudes love him for that.
Will works with metal fabrication and is the whitest Asian Iíve ever met in my entire life.
Brenden works at a screen printing shop and after the Seahawks won the superbowl this year had to print something like 60 thousand shirts in a couple of days.
And Tony was in a really solid hardcore band back in the day called xAFBx, he is the other vet in the band, we are the two old guys while the others are fairly young.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio?
It's all actors man. A bunch of people singing songs written by other people who then turn around and lip sync them live to back tracks that have been treated with auto tune and edited to hell. Thatís not music, thatís acting.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Read comics, watch movies, eat food, go to the river, play video games, hang with friends, listen to music, play music. Itís the best damn life ever.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
I write fiction. I have a writing partner down in southern California that I write movie and TV scripts with, and I write all sorts of short stories by myself.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News