Username
Password
Fat Wreck Chords News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Fat Wreck Chords
Inside AP.net

Banner Pilot Announce "Souvenir"

Posted by: Chris Collum (02/12/14)
Banner Pilot's fourth studio album will be called Souvenir, and is slated for release April 15th via Fat Wreck Chords. Check out the album art and a statement from songwriter Nate Ganglehoff about how the album came together below.

Submitted by botDs-r

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
11:40 AM on 02/12/14
Chris Collum
User Info.

Looking back over the process of making this album, one thing that jumps out at me is how bad the first songs we wrote for it were. They sounded like us, I guess, but more like a half-hearted cover version of us. The same chords and melodies you’d expect, but missing…. something. I remember listening to them one evening in the dead of winter while I was outside shoveling snow, bitter winds whipping into my face, slick ice tripping up my feet, and thinking, “I hope every single thing I’m experiencing at this moment is better by the spring.”

We could have just shrugged and rolled with them, I guess, but I’m glad we were a little stubborn and kept plugging away, looking for something better. We scrapped what we had, hunkered down over the rest of the winter, spending many hours at our practice space, or in front of our respective computers, tinkering around with new ideas. We didn’t overthink anything; we just tried idea after idea after idea until something would stick. And the tunes did start to get better. Not only was it rewarding to start to develop songs that didn’t sound like complete horse crap, it was also fun. They started to feel like the songs you get excited to play live, and it reminded me of what’s so great about being in a band in the first place.

I’m really happy with how it turned out. I think that in the end we stuck to the things we do well, but varied them a little without messing them up. And I think the attitude of “Let’s keep trying to make this better” paid off.
11:46 AM on 02/12/14
MJSchmidt
Hang 'em high or not at all
User Info.
Fuck yes!
11:48 AM on 02/12/14
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
Awesome news!
11:50 AM on 02/12/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
One of my favorite bands of this ilk. FWC's press release said the album is influenced by early Replacements and Superchunk too, so sounds like there's a good chance I'll dig this a lot.
12:19 PM on 02/12/14
InaGreendase
Registered Member
User Info.
Dooooooope.
12:27 PM on 02/12/14
theotheryabs
There's a Melody in Everything
User Info.
easily one of my most anticipated
12:43 PM on 02/12/14
SmallFrailBoy
User Info.
I'm super excited about this album... maybe a little scared by the frankness of this admission, but generally enthusiastic about new Banner Pilot songs!
01:06 PM on 02/12/14
botDs-r
www.twitter.com/shawnhyphenray
User Info.
love the artwork.
Now thats 3 Fat releasing coming up that's I'm super excited for. This, Mad Caddies, and Strung Out!
01:18 PM on 02/12/14
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
A nice change of pace getting a new batch of songs for the spring/summer rather than fall/winter. Their last two albums perfectly encapsulated a fall/winter sound, and I'm very excited to hear what could potentially be the soundtrack to my sunny seasons.
01:32 PM on 02/12/14
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Dear god, yes.
01:48 PM on 02/12/14
duhpizza
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yes!
02:51 PM on 02/12/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
THIS WAS ANNOUNCED HOURS AGO AND I DIDN'T SEE IT UNTIL NOW? I AM SO EXCITED
02:54 PM on 02/12/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
One of my favorite bands of this ilk. FWC's press release said the album is influenced by early Replacements and Superchunk too, so sounds like there's a good chance I'll dig this a lot.
IT IS SO GOING DOWN
02:59 PM on 02/12/14
Chris Collum
User Info.
Between this, AM! and Larry Arms I've been/will be listening to more TRU PUNK this year than I have in awhile haha

Oh yeah and Strung Out's gonna put out a new one. But I dunno whether that will be decent or not.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests