AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 11 posts
04:59 PM on 02/14/14
Allissa
User Info.
Just wanted to say that you guys are so awesome for always doing this. I'm trying out recovery from self harm, EDNOS, and depression all thanks to you guys. I made the decision to turn my life around at H&L LA this year and it's been one hell of a ride just in the past month but I know it's going to be so worth it. It's seriously one of the most difficult battles I've ever dealt with, but I just wanted to thank you guys so much for being such a great organization and helping me to understand that it's okay to speak up and get help. I wouldn't be here without TWLOHA.
05:12 PM on 02/14/14
Allissa
User Info.
Hey Allissa, thanks so much for joining us tonight! We are so encouraged to hear that you are on the road to recovery. We are so proud of your for taking this important step. We wanted to share our Find Help page with you if you need some more resources. Here you can find local and national resources that might be of service to you as you continue down the path of recovery. We are so glad you were able to find hope at H&L and we hope to see you at more of our event soon! Come stop by our booth and say hello next time you're at one!
Thanks! I'm currently working with a recovery team through my university. It's seriously one of the most stressful things I have ever gone through but I know that it will be so worth it. And also your find help page has done wonders for me in the past. Everything you guys do is great. And I always make it a point to stop by and thank you guys whenever I see TWLOHA at an event. This is my first time really working hard at recovery but I have been a huge TWLOHA supporter for years. You guys have pointed me toward help in the past and I've definitely tried it but this time I know that I will beat my ED and self harm. All of you do such amazing work and I am so thankful for this organization. :)
05:18 PM on 02/14/14
Allissa
User Info.
Also on another note, Jamie that Valentine's day blog that you posted is amazing. I read it a few years ago but seeing it again is such a great reminder. I'm in college and it so happened that 2 of my roommates are dealing with tough breakups this week and I showed them the blog and they wanted me to tell you how much reading that blog helped them. Thanks for everything you all do. Every one of my posts tonight are filled with thanks for you guys. Like I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't be here, I wouldn't be on the track toward recovery, and I certainly wouldn't be this hopeful about my future if it weren't for all that you guys do. Thanks again:)
05:22 PM on 02/14/14
Allissa
User Info.
Just a question to anyone who has dealt with this kind of stuff: how have you kept on track with your recovery? I'm in the beginning stages of mine, and I know it's really difficult so I'm just wondering what were the keys, if any, in helping you get better?
05:25 PM on 02/14/14
Allissa
User Info.
I second this. I've read it the past couple of years on Valentines Day and its really helped me. I also shared it with some of my college buddies today and it was really helpful. I'm so thankful we are all here together on the road to recovery.
:) I'm definitely thankful too
05:36 PM on 02/14/14
Allissa
User Info.
At first, there are going to be a lot more hard days than easy. Its a long journey. But look to what you love. When I want to sink farther into the hole, I try to find even a little spot of light to keep me up. Most of the time for me, that is music. I use concerts as mile-markers. I have countdowns on my phone until the next one. I get through the bad days by listening to new albums or thinking about that awesome show I saw last month. Find what you are passionate about. It doesn't have to be music, but something like that. I ended up street teaming for tons of bands and working for my college radio station and eventually getting a part time job at a record label because music is what kept me afloat. Throw yourself into your passion and it will heal you.
That is actually awesome advice. "Throw yourself into your passion and it will heal you" is great line and I'm totally putting it down in my journal as a reminder. Thanks!
05:43 PM on 02/14/14
Allissa
User Info.
Hey Allissa, we're glad that you joined us tonight for the chat. We've had the privilege to hear from a lot of people who've found help and a road to recovery. This road looks different for everyone, each person with a unique journey and story they are writing. We know that for a lot of people recovery involves seeking help from a counselor. For some, it might look like taking medication. We don't know or claim to know of a "key" to this process. But, we do know that people need other people. We know that you will need people around you, that you can share with honestly, people who can share in your victories and triumphs, but also people who can be there when you're struggling, and life feels hard. We hope you have those people in your life.

We've also heard that some people like to write or create art that they can look back over to see that journey unfold. One example of this is Renee Yohe's book "Purpose for the Pain". This is Renee's story in her words; a collection of handwritten journals documenting her journey from addiction to sobriety and pain to hope. If you want to check it out, you can find it in our online store here http://store.twloha.com/collections/...-the-pain-book.
The irony that I'm actually wearing the People Need Other People sweatshirt right now! haha. And Renee's book is amazing. I'm actually having my parents send it to me from home because I know that it is a good reminder of how she got through her own struggles. I just started counseling and antidepressants a few weeks ago, it's been a tough road so far. I'm really struggling with staying on track and I know that it will be good in the long run, I'm just trying to find ways to keep me from giving up too easily. But I do suppose that you're right. I can't get through this alone and finding a support system will probably be the best thing that I can do for myself right now. Thanks!
05:48 PM on 02/14/14
Allissa
User Info.
Hey! don't know how does it really works! but... yeah, dealing with addictions and struggling with this is kind of difficult. I failed many times. I took the knife, fire or whatever was in my hands so many times. But I think the key is to find someone or something to fight for. Time ago I was into depression and the situation that woke me up was this: a girl was running against me and was crying. I hold her into my arms and told her that everything was going to be alright Yeah right? Fuck I was trying to find a way to kill myself. So then I saw a bright light (metafore) and I understood. How can everything be ok if I am not there for her?" she needed me as I needed someone time ago. So that was my purpose, my dream...I wanted to be the person I didnt have. Since,everytime I want to cut/burn...I think of her...Now I dont only think of her but in my family, friends and TWLOHA. That's how I deal with this. Find a purpose, chase your dreams, catch your own clouds. I know you'll make it :) if you want to talk more this is my twitter: browney4es ... sorry for all gramar mistakes I am from Mexico :/
hey there!
thats a great idea. thanks! i hope that your recovery is going well also!
05:56 PM on 02/14/14
Allissa
User Info.
Hey! About the reason to keep fighting/stay on the road to recovery...a big part of my fighting for recovery and my commitment was how much I wanted to be a story for hope for other people. I wanted to be able to share my story and how I was able to overcome, and I knew if I wanted to do that, I would have to actually stick with it myself.
That's actually a huge reason I've really been trying to get help. TWLOHA inspired me to want to create change in the lives of others and I know that I can't if I don't get the help I need too. But part of me keeps thinking that I can just put off the recovery process for a little more time. I know that's not how it works and I know that I need to continue with the help that I am getting right now, but it's just such a difficult process. I'm really trying to focus on my future without my ED and self harm/depression and I know that if I can just get through this then I can help others too. Thanks for the advice!
06:11 PM on 02/14/14
Allissa
User Info.
Jamie, I know TWLOHA isn't a christian organization but I have heard you speak about your faith a lot and I just wanted to let you know that it inspired me to attempt to bring God back into my life. I have been an atheist since I was young even though I was raised catholic but you actually made me realize that christians aren't so bad after all. I started going to a christian church a few months ago and it's been great. I just wanted to say thanks for being honest:)
06:32 PM on 02/14/14
Allissa
User Info.
All this hopeful talk has helped me work up the courage to go eat tonight. I'm going to try and have a real portion sized meal. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but this actually is for me right now especially seeing as how I wasn't really planning on eating at all today. I'm a little anxious but I'm also hopeful. Wish me luck! And thanks again for everything tonight everyone! And so much thanks to every member of the TWLOHA staff. You all rock so much and no matter what your job is with TWLOHA, you are all helping so many people. :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos