Username
Password

Comments: Page 29
Displaying posts 420 - 435 of 482
07:47 PM on 02/14/14
mellyonline
User Info.
Hey mellyone,

Thanks so much for hanging out with us tonight! We have a few different programs that you may be able to introduce to your community. If you are in high school, The Storytellers program may be a good fit. If you are in college we have the UChapters program. A few different options would be hosting a benefit, hosting a MOVE Conference or even joining the Street Team. Check out any of these programs and feel free to reach out to us at info@twloha.com if you have questions about these programs or anything else. We love you!
i'm already a part of the street team! however i wasn't aware of the option of hosting a benefit or a MOVE conference. I'll definitely look more into those! thank you for sharing that information with me!
remylaughs
User Info.
I am so thankful that TWLOHA exists. It has brought me to a place where I can confide in people who love me and allow them to carry my burdens. It brought me to a place where I realized I needed counseling and serious help my sophomore year of high school (4 years ago). And you guys have also somehow reminded me that it is okay that I've had to go back to counseling in college - that it was not defeat, but rather it was me defeating all those demons, and I'm getting there. And anyone reading this: healing is possible. I consider myself to be in complete remission from an eating disorder. I am able to mostly handle my depression thanks to medicine (and Jesus), and the self injury is on it's way out the door of my life. I'm not there yet, and the injuries are further and further apart, but I'll be there soon!
browney4es
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just had to share this story while I had the chance. I was talking to my little sister (who is 12), and she told me her English teacher had asked them to write an essay about 3 people they would want to have dinner with and why. She told me she wrote about Liam from One Direction (for obvious reasons), me, and Jamie. She said since I was her best friend and she hasn't seen me in awhile she wanted me to be there (cue the aww factor). When I asked her why she picked Jamie, she said that she wanted to have dinner with him to thank him for keeping her best friend (aka me) alive. If that's not an example of the power of the next generation, I don't know what is. I've taken every opportunity I can in the 6 years I've known about TWLOHA to teach her the things I wish I knew at her age, like hope and how to love herself for who she is. I'm always buying her shirts and bracelets to wear to school and sending her blogs for the rough times she has. I'm thankful for every ounce of peace and love I have received from you guys, but I am more thankful for the chance to share that with her.
that's so beautiful. So glad you shared this story :') ...(yeah! I am crying...) that's the power of a story (Renee's). Jamie's project changed a lot of lifes. So glad you 2 are part of this (and so all of us here)...your story wont stop there. Probanly your sister will help others the same way you are helping her and suddenly you'll save a lot of lives.
07:48 PM on 02/14/14
takeabreath20
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
On this day that brings joy to so many people, it is a sad day for me. I got news that my grandfather only has about 72hours to live. Having a past of self-injury because I hold things in and am a very empathetic person, I am worried that I will relapse into it after 7 months without self-injury. I am the one who has to be strong for my family, I have to be there for them. I can't let them see how I am responding to it. It may seem like I'm holding my emotions in but I have to since everyone else is grieving. I honestly am at a loss and don't know what to do anymore. Any advice? Please.
07:49 PM on 02/14/14
TWLOHAliz
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Thank you so much. I've talked to my parents about what I was going through awhile ago, I just haven't brought up the recent issues with the night terrors because I feel like maybe it would make them feel bad that they didn't know I was dealing with this still from 5 years ago being I never got help. Do you think maybe I should try to talk to them about it?
It is completely understandable to be nervous about your parents' possible reaction. It is difficult to talk about things we are struggling with. We would strongly encourage you to speak to someone you trust and can confide in, so it is up to you who that would be for you (parents, mentor, friend, counselor). Speaking to someone you trust is important, because you deserve these conversations and help. Even though these conversations can be scary, they can be very beneficial if done with people who are supportive of you. We hope this information and our links help point you to a place you can begin this journey. Thank you for joining us tonight :)
07:49 PM on 02/14/14
TWLOHAchristina
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
everyone here has such a beautiful way with words! it's so inspiring to see all of these people- TWLOHA staff and the supporters alike- here sharing stories and exchanging kind words, even though we are all practically strangers! there's always such a sense of community with this chat, and with throughout the year with the people you meet through the chat. I love it!
Hey mellyonline,

Thanks so much for hanging out with us tonight and sharing your kind words! It's so inspiring to us as well seeing people open their hearts and having a community lift each other up. Definitely a great tradition. We love you!
07:50 PM on 02/14/14
like yesterday
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I totally know where you are coming from. I'm 24 and I've never had a boyfriend. I've dated one guy and that was when I was 22. Literally all of my friends are in relationships or engaged or even married now. It's hard when everyone around you has the love that you want so badly. For the longest time I was convinced that there was no one out there for me and that I would always be alone. And that to me is so scary. I want a family and kids someday. But I've finally gotten to the point where I know there is someone somewhere out there for me and it will all happen in time and it will all work out eventually. Right now though I would say just hold tight and believe that you are worth the wait. That you are a great person and there is another person out there that will make you an even greater person! But you have to stand strong while you wait! I'm still waiting and hoping and I don't know if you we a religious person, but I believe that God has a perfect person picked out for everyone. And in Him time he will reveal them to you and it will be so worth it! Hang in there girl!!
God wanted you to wait 24 years? He can be so cruel sometimes. I mean, I remember one time I wanted an Almond Joy so bad but my mom told me no. Hang in there sister. I'm 26 now and finally got my mom to buy it. He has a plan.
stephiekaye6532
User Info.
On this day that brings joy to so many people, it is a sad day for me. I got news that my grandfather only has about 72hours to live. Having a past of self-injury because I hold things in and am a very empathetic person, I am worried that I will relapse into it after 7 months without self-injury. I am the one who has to be strong for my family, I have to be there for them. I can't let them see how I am responding to it. It may seem like I'm holding my emotions in but I have to since everyone else is grieving. I honestly am at a loss and don't know what to do anymore. Any advice? Please.
Don't feel like you have to hold in any emotions. My situation was different but I lost my grandma very suddenly a few months ago. I tried to hold myself together, but it proved tough. Allow yourself to grieve and if you need a friend, I'm here. Message me if you need to
browney4es
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I am so thankful that TWLOHA exists. It has brought me to a place where I can confide in people who love me and allow them to carry my burdens. It brought me to a place where I realized I needed counseling and serious help my sophomore year of high school (4 years ago). And you guys have also somehow reminded me that it is okay that I've had to go back to counseling in college - that it was not defeat, but rather it was me defeating all those demons, and I'm getting there. And anyone reading this: healing is possible. I consider myself to be in complete remission from an eating disorder. I am able to mostly handle my depression thanks to medicine (and Jesus), and the self injury is on it's way out the door of my life. I'm not there yet, and the injuries are further and further apart, but I'll be there soon!
Proud of you! I know you'll make it :) it seems like you have a lot of security in yourself. I love that! So optimist you are and open, and the way you are sharing this ...all of this is lovely. Really proud of you
07:51 PM on 02/14/14
MaRiKa997
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i want everyone to know that i've read every single post and though there isn't enough time in this life to respond to each and every one of them, you all have brightened my life so much by existing here tonight and sharing your stories. i was a total scrooge a few hours ago, grumbling and hating this day and everything its commercial self stands for, but this community has helped me feel less alone, once again.

i love all of you who've been talking in here tonight, TWLOHA staff and supporters, everyone. and not in the silly chocolate hearts way, but the real way.

i have to head out now, but thank you.

(but i plan to come back in here tomorrow and message a few of you replies that i didn't get a chance to post now.)

i feel like if these conversations kept going they could last a long, long time.
you are loved too! glad you feel better!
07:51 PM on 02/14/14
Okami
The Neighborhood Wolf! :)
User Info.
We are so sorry to hear about this. Counselors are actually ethically bound to refer you to a different counselor if they don't believe they can handle the emotional toll of a specific client. Please know that it is not a personal thing and she is merely looking out for your personal health as well as her own. Don't be afraid of change. It's in those times that we realize our true strength. Our advice would be to refer elsewhere. If she can't give you the help you need, then it's most important for you to find somewhere else to go. Have you looked into our Find Help page? I'll attach a link to it here. We have lots of national a local resources there that might help. Otherwise, maybe you can ask your doctors if they can refer anyone specific? Love and peace to you. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.
*nods* It's like I get it on a head level, but on a heart level, I'm crushed. But I will do whatever it takes to get well, difficult as it is. This woman has been honest with me as a therapist, and I respect that. For my sake, I plan on addressing the next course of action this next session, whether that be continuing or referral...

Thank you for the resources. :)
07:52 PM on 02/14/14
mkphoto
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Good words. i think it's great that you're hopeful and able to encourage other people to have hope (and patience) as well : )

Thanks so much Jamie. I've been so inspired by so so many of your words so that's a huge compliment! You are an amazing writer and I can't wait for the day that book of yours comes out :)
07:53 PM on 02/14/14
kelly_twloha
User Info.
I came really close to not doing the chat this year... so glad I decided to log on! Always so many great words and stories and advice. This reminds me why I'm doing what I'm doing, why I'm spending time in college and getting ready to apply to master's programs (and take the GRE --- EEEEK!). I want to help people and touch lives, and I never would have found that path if it weren't for TWLOHA and chats like this, H&L, etc. Last year I changed my major to general studies so I can focus on psychology, sociology, and health communication - minds, the people who have minds, and talking about minds! It's so good to have a clear path, so thanks for that TWLOHA.
TWLOHAkayla
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hey there,

Thank you for joining us tonight! We are so glad to hear that you have found the help you deserve. We agree with you that healing is possible and we are encouraged to hear you have made such great progress in your recovery. Please know that we stand with you as you continue to get yourself the hope and help you deserve. We are so proud of you, and have a very happy Valentines Day!
TWLOHAlindsay
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I recently relapsed again but am starting over with not cutting and just finished reading freedom from self harm. Can you give me any advice on how to fight the urges and stay on my new path?
Hi angelsduckie, thanks for joining us tonight. We're glad you're here. Thank you for sharing with us and thank you for caring for yourself. We want you to know that you're not alone as you continue to walk toward recovery. We've had the privilege of hearing form a lot of people in the same place. We hope you know that you don't have to feel like you're starting over. The road to recovery will always look different for each person. There are no two journeys or stories that are the same. We know that for some people, reaching out to professional help to help them develop coping skills has been a huge part of their story. We're glad you've found encouragement from reading Freedom From Self Harm. We wanted to remind you that we're not trained professionals, but that we exist to be a bridge to help. Here are some helpful resources about self-injury that you might want to look at on our FIND HELP page.

We also wanted to share with you a blog written by one of our interns during Self-Injury Awareness Month. We hope tonight you will give yourself grace and kindness. You deserve it. You are stronger than you know.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos