Password

Album Review
Issues - Issues Album Cover

Issues - Issues

Reviewed by
Issues - Issues
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: February 18, 2014
This review is a user submitted review from Vance Mook. You can see all of Vance Mook's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
12:07 PM on 02/17/14
absintheparty9
Step back. Evaluate. Recognize.
User Info.
Haha would've much preferred to see this review on the staff list last week. I like to think that I would've dismissed a shitty album like this back when I was big into metalcore during my later high school years in 07-08, but who knows, maybe I would be eating it up if I was that age now.
12:12 PM on 02/17/14
Niko John
https://twitter.com/nikovercelletto
User Info.
Awesome review.

I really like this album, but to each their own. I don't think it deserves 25%, I would give it 55-60%.

The problem I have is how so many reviewers gave this album 5 stars or 100%, calling it the future of metal. This is not the future of metal in any way, shape, or form. People are praising this way too highly because it is something "different".
01:08 PM on 02/17/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Haha would've much preferred to see this review on the staff list last week. I like to think that I would've dismissed a shitty album like this back when I was big into metalcore during my later high school years in 07-08, but who knows, maybe I would be eating it up if I was that age now.
Thanks- I asked myself the same question. It sucks because there are elements you can tell could have been successful, but they literally almost all fall flat due to the autotune, the wretched lyrics, etc.
01:13 PM on 02/17/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Awesome review.

I really like this album, but to each their own. I don't think it deserves 25%, I would give it 55-60%.

The problem I have is how so many reviewers gave this album 5 stars or 100%, calling it the future of metal. This is not the future of metal in any way, shape, or form. People are praising this way too highly because it is something "different".
Thanks a lot- I would be lying if I said reviews like that didn't in part fuel some of the things stated in the review, but as far as content and score go, both are legitimate. I find nearly no redeeming qualities in this record, between most of it being done before (slightly better) and how anything the record does do to stand out ends up being a terrible idea or mixture (beats and machine-gun guitars, DJ samples and breakdowns, even just the cleans mixed with the screaming on this record is grating).

But hey, if you can find some good in it, more power to ya!
07:34 PM on 02/17/14
iamalexenglish
I AM KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
User Info.
Great review man! I enjoy it but it does suck. If that makes sense hahaha
02:35 PM on 02/18/14
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
did a double take at "John Krasinski", ha. anyway, definitely a more fitting review than the staff one. this brand of metalcore needs to die out, and soon.

also I laughed at the closing sentence, knowing full well what magazine it was. even if I hadn't read the same review, I'd know it was AP. God that magazine is awful.
01:07 PM on 02/19/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
did a double take at "John Krasinski", ha. anyway, definitely a more fitting review than the staff one. this brand of metalcore needs to die out, and soon.

also I laughed at the closing sentence, knowing full well what magazine it was. even if I hadn't read the same review, I'd know it was AP. God that magazine is awful.
I thought most people might haha thanks a lot. The saddest part is, it didn't have to be this way...I understand the importance of selling subscriptions, but there was a time when I first subscribed (end of junior high) when the issues were centered on bands like Say Anything, (older) Gym Class Heroes, Anberlin...hell, even Angels & Airwaves is miles ahead of 75% of the cover artists they've featured since 2010 or so (Breathe Carolina, Falling in Reverse, and now Issues).
02:22 PM on 02/22/14
russogoat
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I saw these guys live and it was great - high energy, really got my blood flowing and I would absolutely see them again. With that said, this album is unlistenable. Something about this genre just does not translate to record - the mood is lost and the emotion sounds "generated" for lack of a better word.
01:48 PM on 03/28/14
Masuhdunkillyal
Purveyor of Palatable Punk Rock
User Info.
As much flack as this album gets, I find it highly enjoyable, despite the fact I rarely listen to metal-core or "popular" music these days.
06:49 PM on 08/01/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
I realize I spent most of this review venting my frustrations with this record/band/fanbase/whatever rather than validly criticizing it, but looking back, 30% is too high of a score
07:56 PM on 08/01/14
SpencerCoronado
Giant Black Doctor
User Info.
I realize I spent most of this review venting my frustrations with this record/band/fanbase/whatever rather than validly criticizing it, but looking back, 30% is too high of a score
Issues is, as a whole, strikingly bad. And that just makes me sad because I enjoyed Number[s].

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos