Password

Album Review

The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There Album Cover

The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There

Reviewed by
The Hotelier- Home, Like Noplace Is There
Record Label: Tiny Engines
Release Date: February 25, 2014
The Hotelier has had quite a wild ride during their musical career. The band released their criminally underrated debut, It Never Goes Out, in early 2011 only to be screwed over big time by the malicious Mightier Than Sword Records. While it seemed like the label might have broken the band, a light at the end of the tunnel shined down and they signed to Tiny Engines, one of the most underrated labels in the scene. Now they'be geared up to release their career defining album Home, Like Noplace Is There.

I actually don’t remember the last time an album caught me off guard this much. Home, Like Noplace Is There doesn’t have a dull spot from the first note that Christian Holden belts out on “An Introduction To The Album,” all the way until the last string is plucked at the end of “Dendron.”

Some might be thrown off by the title of the opening track, “Introduction,” is far from the typical album introduction, it’s a five-minute ballad that will have you restless and wanting more by the end. Don’t worry though, “Introduction,” leads into “The Scope Of All This Rebuilding,” a crushing anthem that shows some of the bands best musicianship.

While you can figure out that Holden is singing about some really deep and tragic events happening in his life with the first three songs, it isn’t until you reach “Your Deep Rest,” that you get a true sense of how sad the lyrical content actually is. Holden calmly sings, “I called in sick from your funeral. The sight of your body made me feel uncomfortable. I couldn’t recognize your shell.” This is the most memorable song in The Hotelier’s catalogue and will be the defining song of their musical career.

After the gut punch from “Your Deep Rest,” comes “Among The Wildflowers” which ends up being the albums biggest highlight and the band at their absolute best. “Among The Wildflowers,” has everything The Hotelier has ever done put all into one song. It has a catchy chorus that you have to belt from the top of your lungs, a catchy guitar riff, and very devastating and personal lyrics that will leave you emotionally drained.

The album takes a huge turn when “Life In Drag,” kicks in. It’s a completely different style for the band that has Holden screaming at the top of his lungs the rest of the band playing as fast as they can. It’s a song like this that makes The Hotelier so special and different from all of its peers and can open the doors to multiple touring possibilities.

It’s no secret that the best part about The Hotelier is their phenomenal lyrics. No matter how heartbreaking they are, they’re always incredibly clever and personal. “Housebroken” shows this off best and is The Hotelier’s most unique track. The song tells the story of a dog who is tied down and abused by its owner, but as the story builds on and the dog is offered a life of freedom he turns it down by singing, "Master's all that I got, keeps me having a purpose / Gives me bed keeps me fed, and I'm just slightly nervous / Of what I might do if I were let loose / If I caught that mail car or ate garbage for food / So as I bear all my teeth I will ask of you please / to just leave."

Home, Like Noplace Is There caught me off guard because I haven’t heard anything as honest and as good as it in quite some time. I’ve listened to it at least twice a day since I first heard it and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. The Hotelier have filled a big whole that I felt was missing from the scene for quite sometime and I can’t wait to see the band blossom and take over the world.

9.75/10

Recommended If You Like A good mixture of Emo and Pop-Punk; The Wonder Years; The Menzingers; Sad but uplifting tunes
This review is a user submitted review from Jaytothesyg. You can see all of Jaytothesyg's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version