AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Emarosa - Relativity Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.25
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.84
Musicianship 7.16
Lyrics 7.05
Production 7.39
Creativity 7.27
Lasting Value 7.05
Reviewer Tilt 7.27
Average: 73%
Inside AP.net

Emarosa - Relativity

Reviewed by: Jesse SD (06/25/08)
Emarosa - Relativity
Release Date: July 8, 2008
Record Label: Rise Records

When I found out ex-Dance Gavin Dance frontman Jonny Craig was joining Emarosa, I was more than a little excited. It seemed like the perfect combination: Craig’s trademark vocals blended with Emarosa’s atmospheric synth/keyboard and guitar work to create a kind of underground supergroup. But as with most supergroups (SEE: Audioslave) all the best parts are somehow lost in translation on Emarosa’s new album, and despite well-rounded instrumentation and vocal work throughout, Relativity ends up sounding like a spacier, watered-down Dance Gavin Dance.

One noticeable change listeners find on Relativity is the spineless presence of the synthesizer/keyboard, which, other than providing background noise, only pops up for a few evident instances throughout the album (“What’s a Clock Without the Batteries” and “It’s Cold in the Shade, Let’s Move to the Sun…”). Another glaringly missing element is any kind of harsh/screamed vocals. While Craig’s uniquely stylized voice is very engaging (and a little bit edgier overall than it was in Dance Gavin Dance), it becomes monotonous surprisingly quickly after a few songs, so listening to the full album (which lasts almost forty-five minutes) in its entirety becomes a labor in and of itself.

That being said, this album is still a definite cut above many offerings from other bands within the genre. It avoids redundant breakdowns and simplistic crunching riffs, using soaring guitar-work (which is actually one of the highlights on this album, and helps make the lack of synth go down a little easier) that creates undertones that really bring the songs to life (“The Past Should Stay Dead,” “What’s a Clock Without the Batteries?,” “I Still Feel Her: Part I,” and “A City Called Coma: Part II.”). The higher-quality production also lends itself nicely to the many subtle yet effective backing sounds, and gives the album a kind of ‘bigness’ that makes it sound better when played louder and on better speakers; it gets exponentially better when played on a nice iPod stereo or CD system as opposed to computer speakers.

Lyrically, things have improved a great deal, but due to the addition of Craig, pursue many of the same thematic elements that Dance Gavin Dance did. Ultimately, that’s not really a problem, because Craig delivers them well; it just adds to the assertion that Emarosa has become the new (and less-improved) Dance Gavin Dance. So basically, if you thought Dance Gavin Dance was a little too coarse/heavy, you’ll love the re-defined Emarosa.

When it comes down to it, Relativity just doesn’t fulfill my expectations. Even though it is definitely listen-worthy, what I hear right now is a band that is still searching to find a suitable sound (for glimpses at what the band is capable of and hopefully will lean towards in later releases, listen to: “The Past Should Stay Dead,” “Set It Off Like Napalm,” and “Pretend. Release. The Close”). But maybe that’s just me; maybe it’s all really just a matter of relativity.

Recommended if You LikeDance Gavin Dance

myspace.com/emarosa

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 32
05:25 PM on 07/04/08
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
I agree with most. This is something you must listen to if you ever enjoyed Dance Gavin Dance.

But I think he shined in this album, being more in the spotlight rather than a co-worker with the screaming and it definitely showed his vocal talents.
09:14 PM on 07/04/08
Klatzke
Don't give me no hand me down love.
User Info.
I like him.. but i can't stand his voice for long. He's talented, but it just gets old after awhile.

I love his guest spots though, (Lower Definition, Pierce the Veil).
09:21 PM on 07/04/08
hxchairstylist
Hair on Mars
User Info.
I like him.. but i can't stand his voice for long. He's talented, but it just gets old after awhile.

I love his guest spots though, (Lower Definition, Pierce the Veil).

Agreed. Great voice, but somehow it gets old fast, whereas I could listen to Anthony Green on a deserted island for years and not get sick of him. Not to say Jonny doesn't have it in him, I just think he hasn't harnessed it fully yet.
09:37 PM on 07/04/08
Klatzke
User Info.
Agreed. Great voice, but somehow it gets old fast, whereas I could listen to Anthony Green on a deserted island for years and not get sick of him. Not to say Johnny doesn't have it in him, I just think he hasn't harnessed it fully yet.
I think my thing is with it, is that when he gets into it, and gets toward the top of his range, his lyrics are almost incomprehensible (to me that is).

I think he has a great voice, i just think he should tone it down a bit, and save his greatttt vocals for moments where it fits, then it would work out. Just my opinion though.
11:45 PM on 07/04/08
p, FRY
User Info.
having had this for quite a few weeks now, i couldn't disagree more with referencing this to Dance Gavin Dance. the album, aside from the vocals [which contain NO screaming], sounds nothing at all like a Dance Gavin Dance record.

this fits much more in line with a Circa Survive type record [no, i'm not comparing them] than a "scene" record like DGD.

personally this is my album of the year, and after having it on repeat for weeks, am in no way tired of it. 85/90%.
10:09 PM on 07/05/08
Jarbear
User Info.
Yeah. I disagree with Emarosa being less improved version of Dance Gavin Dance. Yes both bands have talented musicians. But I still fail to hear the songs or parts where it sounds like Dance Gavin Dance. I think the comparisons between the two are simply a result of Jonny being the singer. But it is a good review, but I would have rated higher.

Awesome job!!
12:49 PM on 07/11/08
EightOEightDrop
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
TOTALLY random but Johnny Craig palms a line from "Over You" by Acceptance in "Set it off like Napalm" though it's in a different key, he sings the same transposed notes, words, and rhythm. Really, check it out. I swear I am not this much of a nerd, I just happened to listen to one song right after the other. Other than that, this album seems to kind of chug along through a lot of tedium. Oh, and there's the fact that Craig does enough coke on the daily to kill a horse. Hey wait, so does Anthony Green. I think we've found the secret, guys.
11:36 PM on 07/23/08
PTK
User Info.
Id hate to think that Craig is dragging his sound like luggage from DGD to Emarosa...but i really do think he was a perfect match for Emarosa...and you did an excellent job of the review
04:05 PM on 09/01/08
Pawan1993
Change isn't the same as progress
User Info.
I seriously think the old Emarosa was better. Corsets are Cages was good but Their new vocalist(Chris Roetter) was better. Loved the high and low screams and the clean vocals were good. Even the instruments were good and the synths could be easily recognised but as soon as Craig joins the instruments suck and their isn't any screaming!Roetter is easily a better screamer but Jonny has the better clean vocals. But I agree it gets boring after like one song. I heard Relativity and thought it was cool after one song and then thought they'll hopefully change themselves later on.But otherwise their EP was way better.
09:12 PM on 09/01/08
Klatzke
User Info.
I seriously think the old Emarosa was better. Corsets are Cages was good but Their new vocalist(Chris Roetter) was better. Loved the high and low screams and the clean vocals were good. Even the instruments were good and the synths could be easily recognised but as soon as Craig joins the instruments suck and their isn't any screaming!Roetter is easily a better screamer but Jonny has the better clean vocals. But I agree it gets boring after like one song. I heard Relativity and thought it was cool after one song and then thought they'll hopefully change themselves later on.But otherwise their EP was way better.
Utah was such a sweet song.

However, the old and new bands really aren't comparable. You should probably check out Agraceful if you haven't already. Roetters new band.
09:44 PM on 09/13/08
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
This was a really good review. Nice job man.

I agree with almost everything you said......I like the DGD comparison but less-improved? I think DGD stayed in the same place with their new album.

I really think this band is going to improve and get to be pretty damn good.
04:33 AM on 09/24/08
Pawan1993
User Info.
Utah was such a sweet song.

However, the old and new bands really aren't comparable. You should probably check out Agraceful if you haven't already. Roetters new band.
I loved that song Armageddon and Utah. The lyrics are still there (Let me fly).
lol
Agraceful is good but it just doesn't have what old-emarosa did. No electronica and the musicianship just can't be compared.
But on a different note new DGD just totally owns.
01:49 PM on 09/24/08
Klatzke
User Info.
I loved that song Armageddon and Utah. The lyrics are still there (Let me fly).
lol
Agraceful is good but it just doesn't have what old-emarosa did. No electronica and the musicianship just can't be compared.
But on a different note new DGD just totally owns.
Agreed, new DGD is better without Johnny. I still listen to that EP though, and yeah, both those songs are tight. The singing by Telly in Utah is the best part of the entire EP.
05:25 PM on 09/30/08
Pawan1993
User Info.
The elctronics in the first this is your way out were so beautifully placed and dw i still listen to old DGD as well.I see DGD becoming huge in the future with their new frontman. I reckon he sounds a bit like Jesse Lacey in his clean vocals but his screams r so similar to Jonnys
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums