AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

SXSW 2014: Day 4 (Saturday)

Posted by - 10:20 AM on 03/16/14
Hit the replies to check out my recap of the last day, Day 4 (Saturday), of SXSW. You can check out my recap of Day 1 (Wednesday), Day 2 (Thursday), and Day 3 (Friday) as well. That's a wrap - what a great week!

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
10:20 AM on 03/16/14
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Well, that’s a wrap. Year two for me is in the books. Overall, I had a blast. Off the top of my head, my favorite bands I saw were Against Me!, Touche Amore, The Front Bottoms, Driver Friendly, and The 1975 (acoustic).

Saturday was quite light for me this year. Last year there was the Bridge 9 showcase and AltPress “100 Bands” showcase on the last day, but this year neither of those happened.

Therefore, the only band I saw was The 1975’s acoustic show at Waterloo. The show was supposed to be electric at the outdoor stage, but due to rain, it was moved inside. As a result, the band played two indoor acoustic shows, each with two songs. I caught the second round, thankfully. I was the last one let into the second round. The band played “Sex” and “Chocolate.” It wasn’t even that they played them acoustic – they did their acoustic renditions of the song. Having watched these many times online before, the live versions were even more stunning. The intricate and skilled guitar work mixed with Matty Healy’s very calm and collected vocal delivery demonstrates a completely different side of the band.

Now, I have yet to see them play a full electric show – that will finally happen in May – but I think their acoustic show proves their talent. The fact that these guys can write a ridiculously catchy song electric and then do the same song but 180 degrees different acoustic … that’s something most pop bands cannot do well.

Following that, I grabbed lunch and headed back to my apartment to charge my phone. Maybe next year I’ll invest in one of those charging cases. Other than that, the rest of the day I just said bye to people that were heading back out of time and did some last catching up with them.

I would say this year was lighter for me than last year – I only had one really late night – but I still had a fantastic week. South By remains the most fun and exhausting week of the year for me. Next year I’ll finally be 21, which means it will also be worth it to grab a wristband. But this year and last, I’ve still been able to manage just fine seeing shows.

I had a great time seeing old friends and meeting new ones all week. If you’re heading back out of town, have a safe trip!

Until next year.
12:21 PM on 03/16/14
Dustin Harkins
Go support Kony 2012 some more
User Info.
Glad you had a great time, it was nice meeting you!

Side note: Yeah this week completely convinced me to get one of those charging cases.
12:38 PM on 03/16/14
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
Glad you had a great time, it was nice meeting you!

Side note: Yeah this week completely convinced me to get one of those charging cases.
Hash seriously I said the same thing every day. I'm gonna order one off eBay for like $20
02:06 PM on 03/16/14
PirateSkater182
I want a new username.
User Info.
Samsung killing the free battery swap game.

If you didn't see Childish Gambino last night, you fucked up.
05:28 PM on 03/16/14
DevinDomino
FUCKyeah
User Info.
See you at the 1975 show in May! It's going to be a good one
05:49 PM on 03/16/14
dash64
This Is My Design
User Info.
Really wanted to see The 1975, but by the time we parked it was too late. Ended up seeing Boy & Bear, Air Traffic Controller, and The Bright Light Social Hour. Compared to last year, this year was definitely a different experience.
09:01 PM on 03/16/14
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Really wanted to see The 1975, but by the time we parked it was too late. Ended up seeing Boy & Bear, Air Traffic Controller, and The Bright Light Social Hour. Compared to last year, this year was definitely a different experience.
I saw BLSH the other day cause my friend's band played before them. Maybe it's because I was backstage, but I just don't get it. I've never listened to their stuff though - and nor have I seen their show from the actual audience, just behind stage.
05:43 PM on 03/17/14
dash64
This Is My Design
User Info.
I saw BLSH the other day cause my friend's band played before them. Maybe it's because I was backstage, but I just don't get it. I've never listened to their stuff though - and nor have I seen their show from the actual audience, just behind stage.
I'd give their album a listen, just to see if you like it. I thought the venue they played at was too small and the stage was in an awkward place. My friend and I did get pretty close, but only because some drunk guy dragged us up there. I had to apologize to so many people.
05:45 PM on 03/17/14
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
I'd give their album a listen, just to see if you like it. I thought the venue they played at was too small and the stage was in an awkward place. My friend and I did get pretty close, but only because some drunk guy dragged us up there. I had to apologize to so many people.
Hahha I'll have to give it a listen
05:56 PM on 03/17/14
dash64
This Is My Design
User Info.
Hahha I'll have to give it a listen
Cool, let me know what you think.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music