AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

That's Not My Baby - 02.28.14

Interviewed by
That's Not My Baby - 02.28.14The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

That's Not My Baby
http://facebook.com/tnmb.band
http://reverbnation.com/thatsnotmybaby

1. How did you get your band name?
Our friend (and our first bass player) came up with it while we were waiting in line for Goliath at Six Flags. We were brainstorming names for our band and that one stuck.

2. How did this band get started?
Well Anton and Scott were in 8th grade music class at our school and it sucked. So they said fuck it and decided to form a band and recruit the drummer from the music class instead. They then bowed down to the drummer because he was the most amazing thing they had ever laid eyes on.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Blink 182, Against Me!, and Jimmy Eat World.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would they be and why?
For me, it would definitely be Against Me! Their live show is crazy and they play at venues where they can actually interact with the fans. Also they are super nice which is a plus.

5. Best food to eat on tour?
The souls of our enemies. Or noodles.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Jarren (our drummer).

7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with?
I’d probably switch with Taylor Lahey, a defensive cutter on the ultimate disc team the San Francisco Flame Throwers because everybody knows that anybody who plays ultimate is a bro.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
The academy, and then my parents for teaching me how not live my life.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I would be in charge of it.

10. Memorable tour experience?
We are based in Pasadena so we get a lot of local gigs not too much touring. Our first big tour is coming up this summer, Vans Warped Tour CA circuit.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I really think the website is just a perfect community website. It brings together all kinds of artists big and small and gives them a chance to put themselves out there and get heard by people who are looking for the new best thing. Without websites like AP bands like us would have a much harder time getting any kind of recognition.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Right now it would definitely have to be this new one of ours called “Year After Year.” It’s fast, fun, and we all just have a good time when we play it even though we haven’t performed it yet.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Ukraine. I’m in a fight club there.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
The first rock band I ever listened to was the Rolling Stones, so whenever I hear ‘Satisfaction’ or ‘Paint it Black’ I think about my rocking out in mom's car.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
I’d have to go with the power to stop time. For me, getting a good amount of sleep time is usually a problem considering I run off of about 4 to 5 hours daily. That being said, with the power to stop time would allow me to get maximum sleepage.

16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals?
Well we had one where we would run around and try to sack tap each other, but that died pretty quickly… Now we just do a huddle.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I’m a knight of Sealand.

18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish?
Honestly, I think it is fading. It is hard for a start up band to get onto the radio and even if you get into a library that a DJ chooses from its hard for a band to get playing time. If you aren’t a big name pop star or have a really good record label promoting you don’t have much of a chance to get on major stations. It’s not the radio stations fault. To become a successful radio station you have to appeal to a really broad audience, and with satellite radio and services like Spotify and iTunes it has become really easy to find music that like and avoid the radio completely. So if you’re like us, not a pop band, and don’t necessarily have large listener appeal we don’t stand much of a chance. This is an unfortunate truth. Bands like us have turned to alternate forms of getting our music out. The Internet is a great resource for small bands, but it is so difficult to get discovered by someone on it because there is just so much material and it is not filtered by anybody. AP.net is pretty great. But it’s still one of my dreams one day to be driving down the freeway and have one of our songs come blasting on the radio. I think that would be so cool.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Fap.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Not many people know this but I am actually a dirty ping pong player.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests