AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Memphis May Fire - Unconditional Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 3.5
Musicianship 2
Lyrics 4
Production 5
Creativity 1
Lasting Value 1.5
Reviewer Tilt 2
Final Verdict: 27%
Member Ratings
Vocals 5.44
Musicianship 4.31
Lyrics 5.69
Production 4.44
Creativity 3.25
Lasting Value 3.94
Reviewer Tilt 4.44
Average: 45%
Inside AP.net

Memphis May Fire - Unconditional

Reviewed by: iamalexenglish (03/22/14)
Memphis May Fire - Unconditional
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: March 25, 2014

Let's face it, you came to read about how much this record sounded like the last two.You came to the right place. Dallas, Texas's Memphis May Fire has released The Hollow for the third time and it's still selling.

Rise Records can draw those teenagers in like moths to flames (no pun intended). The album kicks us off with a track titled "No Ordinary Love" and about 15 seconds into the song I was bored already. It's one thing for bands to do the whole genericore/risecore thing but Memphis May Fire doesn't even change the structure of their songs, making each song sound EXACTLY like the last. Most Rise bands can at least change up the tempo and rhythm.

Progressing through the album the song titled "Possibilities" caught my attention, then quickly lost it again going through the same scream the verses, sing the chorus and continue to chug structure.

Honestly, even if this were a good album, it wouldn't be. (If that makes sense.) The production is pretty terrible. The drums are drowned out and Matty's vocal track is very high in volume.

Eventually, we have to hit "Miles Away" 2.0. We all know that it's going to happen. "Speechless" is your new "Miles Away". I can easily say it's the best song on the album. It's not that it's even a great song its just better than everything else, mainly because it's actually different. Matty does a great job singing to a slower tempo as the simple drum beat booms behind him. It's alright but nothing to come back to.

Next we hear something a little bit different in the track "The Rose". We hear a little bit of electronic sounds which is interesting but you still get that same old Memphis May Fire structure to finish off the rest of the song.

Progressing even farther through Unconditional we come across another calm song. "Need to Be" slows down the tempo of the album once again but at this point it's just getting a little bit tedious. The lyrics in this song are a little cliche but touching. Matty's trying to be a better man he tells us throughout the song. Although cliche lyric wise, very good message we don't see all that often. Unfortunately, there's nothing else to really back up this song.

It's unfortunate. I was really rooting for this one. I didn't hold my breath on it though and obviously it's a good thing I didn't. This record isn't good at all, but Rise Records is still making a good deal of money off of it. Maybe next time Memphis May Fire, but then again probably not.

Recommended If You LikeChallenger, The Hollow,The Plot In You

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
08:51 PM on 03/26/14
Grohl
RATA
User Info.
Not the most objective review, but I probably agree.
06:30 AM on 03/27/14
jrockisthebest
jrock is my nickname
User Info.
ok
06:44 AM on 03/27/14
iamalexenglish
Aren't Kids Anymore…
User Info.
My thoughts while listening to this album^^^
07:22 AM on 03/27/14
austinchase
@_austinchase
User Info.
This review really could use some editing, but regardless another generic boring record from MMF.
07:25 AM on 03/27/14
iamalexenglish
Aren't Kids Anymore…
User Info.
This review really could use some editing, but regardless another generic boring record from MMF.
Like what kind of editing? Thanks for the feedback!
07:39 AM on 03/27/14
Niko John
https://twitter.com/nikovercelletto
User Info.
This review seems pretty biased. You don't go into any detail about the songs, only that they sound the same to each other and that you were bored.

I don't think this is a bad album. I would give it a 50% which to me is an average record. You can't really blame MMF for recycling the same stuff on this album; Challenger was Rise Records best first week record ever until OM&M came and blew that away.

The critics will hate this record, but the fans will eat it up; 40K copies easily.
07:42 AM on 03/27/14
iamalexenglish
Aren't Kids Anymore…
User Info.
This review seems pretty biased. You don't go into any detail about the songs, only that they sound the same to each other and that you were bored.

I don't think this is a bad album. I would give it a 50% which to me is an average record. You can't really blame MMF for recycling the same stuff on this album; Challenger was Rise Records best first week record ever until OM&M came and blew that away.

The critics will hate this record, but the fans will eat it up; 40K copies easily.
I tried to talk about some songs but they were so ridiculous it was hard. Plus, in my opinion I can blame them for recycling "riffs" and structure because what kind of music is that? What kind of musicians are they f they do that? I do appreciate the feedback though.

I did enjoy Challenger though, so its not like I'm speaking from a point in which I've always thought they were bad. Ever since the Hollow they were generic, not necessarily bad.
07:48 AM on 03/27/14
Niko John
User Info.
I tried to talk about some songs but they were so ridiculous it was hard. Plus, in my opinion I can blame them for recycling "riffs" and structure because what kind of music is that? What kind of musicians are they f they do that? I do appreciate the feedback though.

I did enjoy Challenger though, so its not like I'm speaking from a point in which I've always thought they were bad. Ever since the Hollow they were generic, not necessarily bad.
If they are generic, but not bad, then why such a low score? I realize the score isn't everything, but you really only see 20-30% scores given in staff reviews to BOTDF, Attack Attack!, and Brokencyde records so I'm curious.
07:51 AM on 03/27/14
iamalexenglish
Aren't Kids Anymore…
User Info.
If they are generic, but not bad, then why such a low score? I realize the score isn't everything, but you really only see 20-30% scores given in staff reviews to BOTDF, Attack Attack!, and Brokencyde records so I'm curious.
I meant I enjoyed Challenger I enjoyed. This is just getting redundant tbh. i understand where you're coming from though. I just went down the line how I think it should be scored.
07:58 AM on 03/27/14
Niko John
User Info.
I meant I enjoyed Challenger I enjoyed. This is just getting redundant tbh. i understand where you're coming from though. I just went down the line how I think it should be scored.
All you can do I suppose. One last thing, The Plot In You for RIYL?......interesting choice.
08:42 AM on 03/27/14
iamalexenglish
Aren't Kids Anymore…
User Info.
All you can do I suppose. One last thing, The Plot In You for RIYL?......interesting choice.
I don't know man. I just thought that they have that generic chugging sound. Except a little bit darker.
01:52 PM on 03/27/14
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
I don't know man. I just thought that they have that generic chugging sound. Except a little bit darker.
Stop writing reviews if you're just going to do the bare-bones, minimal amount of thinking possible. People are anticipating that all of the information is as credible as possible. "I don't know maaaan, they're just generic and dumb and shit hahaha" does not fit the criteria.

On a similar note, revealing that "thinking the song sucks too much" as your motive for deciding not to review certain songs or go more in depth on them is dumbfounding. Why did you even bother reviewing this then?!
02:28 PM on 03/27/14
iamalexenglish
Aren't Kids Anymore…
User Info.
Stop writing reviews if you're just going to do the bare-bones, minimal amount of thinking possible. People are anticipating that all of the information is as credible as possible. "I don't know maaaan, they're just generic and dumb and shit hahaha" does not fit the criteria.

On a similar note, revealing that "thinking the song sucks too much" as your motive for deciding not to review certain songs or go more in depth on them is dumbfounding. Why did you even bother reviewing this then?!
What did you think of this album?
03:33 PM on 03/27/14
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
What did you think of this album?
I enjoyed five of the tracks for what they were, but none were perfect. I also found the other five or six tracks to be almost completely miserable - similar to Challenger.

I'm not some blind super-fan, just a user who read a half-assed review.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests