Username
Password
Radio News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Radio
Inside AP.net

The 1975 Working With One Direction

Posted by: Kyle Huntington (03/26/14)
The 1975 were guests on the BBC Radio 1 Breakfast Show this morning and took part in the "Call or Delete" prank phonecall game. Matty Healy not only prank called Niall Horan and Harry Styles of One Direction but also confirmed that he is writing music for the group (which may add more of an explanation to this photo). Listen to the whole bit in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
02:33 PM on 03/26/14
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
02:59 PM on 03/26/14
one eight two
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
That sucks.
03:01 PM on 03/26/14
rbf737
User Info.
Wow dunno how I feel about this. One of my favorite current songwriters writing for... well 1D. Interesting to say the least.
03:32 PM on 03/26/14
JGG
User Info.
Might have to start listening to One Direction!
04:04 PM on 03/26/14
StephenYoung
dumb
User Info.
Probably gonna be the best pop song of the year
04:21 PM on 03/26/14
MarkJ801
User Info.
I love One Direction. The 1975 just sound like he's speaking a different language when he sings.
04:38 PM on 03/26/14
aagosto90
User Info.
Well, now I'm embarrassed to say I blast "Chocolate" in the car almost every day on my way to work. It's catchy okay :(
04:42 PM on 03/26/14
Slangster
Kill the lights, I've seen too much
User Info.
As long as it doesn't affect The 1975 and their sound I have no problem with this.
05:11 PM on 03/26/14
kianacarly
I'm living it, leaving it to change
User Info.
Awesome. Pretty sure harry is a big fan of them. Idk why anyone would have a problem with this.
08:21 PM on 03/26/14
ChadMaxey
tpf
User Info.
Just to echo what most seem to be thinking or saying: The 1975 YES, 1D NO.
08:35 PM on 03/26/14
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
Well, now I'm embarrassed to say I blast "Chocolate" in the car almost every day on my way to work. It's catchy okay :(
Why embarrassed?
09:04 PM on 03/26/14
personl
butter is my favorite food
User Info.
there's nothing wrong with one direction, their new album is way different from what everyone's used to of them. liam and louis have also written with benji and joel, and possibly pete wentz but i'm not really sure.. they did meet him when they were with matty the other day though so it could've easily just been meeting him

oh and this happened too forever ago for anyone who wants to be even more embarrassed about liking the 1975 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEVXmzHY1lU
09:49 PM on 03/26/14
cjudge90
User Info.
there's nothing wrong with one direction, their new album is way different from what everyone's used to of them. liam and louis have also written with benji and joel, and possibly pete wentz but i'm not really sure.. they did meet him when they were with matty the other day though so it could've easily just been meeting him

oh and this happened too forever ago for anyone who wants to be even more embarrassed about liking the 1975 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEVXmzHY1lU
I'd love to know why you think this is embarrassing. This is an awesome cover
09:59 PM on 03/26/14
wrothish
I fall to my knees
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
One of my favorite current songwriters.

With that as your focus, I'd say feel free to be super happy. Working with a group that has a gold album upon release is the kind of thing that builds a songwriter's career. More Matty Healy songwriting in megapop automatically means slightly less songwriting you don't like in megapop. Looking at the past 50 years, I don't see performers writing for other performers creating most of the music that contributed to radio pop getting a bad name.

It's good for Healy, The 1975, 1D (longevity via evolution), and perhaps a very good challenge to some of the less-inspired megapop "hitmakers." The only potential loser here is someone deeply invested in what he/she thinks The 1975 "should" do, and there are tons of bands that person could support. Anyone who can get 1D to answer the phone right now and doesn't work with them is making a terrible mistake (IMO).
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests