Username
Password

Comments: Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 35
03:37 PM on 03/28/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I don't understand how you can consider yourself a 90's kid when you were born at the end of the 90's. Don't get me wrong this is an ok list, but my point is I was born in 1985, and don't consider myself an 80's kid because most of my childhood and growing up took place in the 90's.

…Uhhh…what?
03:40 PM on 03/28/14
quiksilver21k
User Info.
I don't understand how you can consider yourself a 90's kid when you were born at the end of the 90's. Don't get me wrong this is an ok list, but my point is I was born in 1985, and don't consider myself an 80's kid because most of my childhood and growing up took place in the 90's.

I agree! That totally threw me off at the beginning. I was born in 1985 as well and consider myself a 90s kid because that's when I was cognitively developed enough to understand pop culture, music, etc.

Not to bash your post Craig (I love this idea), but you were a bit young to be "in the moment" in the 90s. I'd consider you a 2000s kid.
03:54 PM on 03/28/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I agree! That totally threw me off at the beginning. I was born in 1985 as well and consider myself a 90s kid because that's when I was cognitively developed enough to understand pop culture, music, etc.

Not to bash your post Craig (I love this idea), but you were a bit young to be "in the moment" in the 90s. I'd consider you a 2000s kid.

I'm using "child of the 90s" in a completely different sense than you are using "90s kid." It's inherently impossible to be a child of a decade you weren't born in. You may have grown up in the 90s and been a 90s kid, but I'd still classify you as a child of the 80s because, hey, you were born in 1985. As someone who was born in 1990, I actually WAS a child of the 90s, and yes, I was "in the moment" enough to also be a 90s kids. I mean, I remember most of what happened after 1993 or 1994, and a huge number of my musically formative experiences took place while listening to the bands on this list. In contrast, I hated just about everything that was on the radio in the early 2000s and have no nostalgic feelings for most of it. Hence this playlist not being "The 2000s: Where Are They Now?"
04:20 PM on 03/28/14
quiksilver21k
User Info.
I'm using "child of the 90s" in a completely different sense than you are using "90s kid." It's inherently impossible to be a child of a decade you weren't born in. You may have grown up in the 90s and been a 90s kid, but I'd still classify you as a child of the 80s because, hey, you were born in 1985. As someone who was born in 1990, I actually WAS a child of the 90s, and yes, I was "in the moment" enough to also be a 90s kids. I mean, I remember most of what happened after 1993 or 1994, and a huge number of my musically formative experiences took place while listening to the bands on this list. In contrast, I hated just about everything that was on the radio in the early 2000s and have no nostalgic feelings for most of it. Hence this playlist not being "The 2000s: Where Are They Now?"
I understand what you are saying. I think it comes down to when you are old enough to actually make your own decisions about what music you want to listen to. For me, it wasn't until I was 7 or 8 (around 92 or 93) that I could express to my parents what albums I wanted them to buy for me, what radio stations I wanted to listen to, movies I wanted to watch, etc.

Pop culture stuff from the 80s was already nostalgic at the time, making it hard for me to associate myself with the 80s - therefore I (personally) wouldn't call myself a kid of the 80s.

I just reread your original post. You were born at the end of 1990...I think I misread your original post thinking that you were saying you were born at the end of the 1990s (meaning born in like 98 or 99).
04:28 PM on 03/28/14
inevitable
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

Your wording was weird. Also in your original post, I misread and thought you stated that you were born at the end of the 90's 1993 and 1994 are in the beginning to middle of the 90's. Sorry for the confusion. I don't understand the difference between "child of" or "kid". The terms are synonymous to me. Thirdly, I feel you putting up 13 or so tracks didn't really indicate a lot of the bands that were successful in the 90's. Where's Hootie and the Blowfish, Our Lady Peace, Sugar Ray, etc... maybe you just don't listen to those bands. I guess Darius Rucker is really popular now which is why you left off Hootie? Who knows? This isn't meant to be offensive, but the 90's went far beyond the bands you mentioned, and I was just curious to get your thoughts.
04:29 PM on 03/28/14
luckisoverrated
So is breakfast food.
User Info.
This playlist rules. I will never stop missing the nineties. Nice work, Craig. :)
06:18 PM on 03/28/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I understand what you are saying. I think it comes down to when you are old enough to actually make your own decisions about what music you want to listen to. For me, it wasn't until I was 7 or 8 (around 92 or 93) that I could express to my parents what albums I wanted them to buy for me, what radio stations I wanted to listen to, movies I wanted to watch, etc.

Pop culture stuff from the 80s was already nostalgic at the time, making it hard for me to associate myself with the 80s - therefore I (personally) wouldn't call myself a kid of the 80s.

I just reread your original post. You were born at the end of 1990...I think I misread your original post thinking that you were saying you were born at the end of the 1990s (meaning born in like 98 or 99).

Yeah, if I was born in 99, I would definitely be a 2000s kid. But no, I'm definitely 90s, through and through. And really, I always was pretty vocal about what I wanted to listen to, haha. I had older siblings to help hook me up with music, so that helped, but I definitely listened to what I wanted to listen to, and that's been the case for as long as I can remember.

For me, "child of the 90s" is more of a categorical or chronological term. If someone was describing "children of the 1950s" in a paper or an article, I doubt they would be describing anything other than people who were born in that decade. But people call themselves 90s or 80s kids all the time, even if they were born in the previous decade. You're definitely a 90s kid, and so are my two older siblings. But I was viewing "child of the 90s" as a wholly different term when I used it.

Your wording was weird. Also in your original post, I misread and thought you stated that you were born at the end of the 90's 1993 and 1994 are in the beginning to middle of the 90's. Sorry for the confusion. I don't understand the difference between "child of" or "kid". The terms are synonymous to me. Thirdly, I feel you putting up 13 or so tracks didn't really indicate a lot of the bands that were successful in the 90's. Where's Hootie and the Blowfish, Our Lady Peace, Sugar Ray, etc... maybe you just don't listen to those bands. I guess Darius Rucker is really popular now which is why you left off Hootie? Who knows? This isn't meant to be offensive, but the 90's went far beyond the bands you mentioned, and I was just curious to get your thoughts.

See above for why I don't think they're synonymous.

I absolutely never said that this was supposed to be representative of the entire decade. It's a playlist of songs I like by bands I like, and isn't supposed to be at all objective or comprehensive. I only had an hour, and I didn't use every artist that I could have used. I thought about all three of the artists you mentioned: Rucker didn't make it because he's still popular and everyone knows what he's doing. Same thing as I mentioned in the post with Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, etc. Our Lady Peace didn't make it because I thought their most recent album was, quite frankly, shit. I liked the 2009 record they put out, but I didn't want to put something not from their most recent album and call it a "where they are now" situation. As for Sugar Ray, I had a song from Music for Cougars on here, but ended up replacing it at the last minute with the Eve 6 song.
06:34 PM on 03/28/14
blimpcityhero11
#WreckThisLeague
User Info.
Needs more Train.
07:12 PM on 03/28/14
quiksilver21k
User Info.
Yeah, if I was born in 99, I would definitely be a 2000s kid. But no, I'm definitely 90s, through and through. And really, I always was pretty vocal about what I wanted to listen to, haha. I had older siblings to help hook me up with music, so that helped, but I definitely listened to what I wanted to listen to, and that's been the case for as long as I can remember.

For me, "child of the 90s" is more of a categorical or chronological term. If someone was describing "children of the 1950s" in a paper or an article, I doubt they would be describing anything other than people who were born in that decade. But people call themselves 90s or 80s kids all the time, even if they were born in the previous decade. You're definitely a 90s kid, and so are my two older siblings. But I was viewing "child of the 90s" as a wholly different term when I used it.

See above for why I don't think they're synonymous.

I absolutely never said that this was supposed to be representative of the entire decade. It's a playlist of songs I like by bands I like, and isn't supposed to be at all objective or comprehensive. I only had an hour, and I didn't use every artist that I could have used. I thought about all three of the artists you mentioned: Rucker didn't make it because he's still popular and everyone knows what he's doing. Same thing as I mentioned in the post with Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, etc. Our Lady Peace didn't make it because I thought their most recent album was, quite frankly, shit. I liked the 2009 record they put out, but I didn't want to put something not from their most recent album and call it a "where they are now" situation. As for Sugar Ray, I had a song from Music for Cougars on here, but ended up replacing it at the last minute with the Eve 6 song.
I gotcha! I digress...it's a great playlist! Looking forward to more (especially with some great 3EB tracks like Sharp Knife on them).

One of my personal additions would have Ben Folds Five who came back last year after a huge hiatus (even though the album was mediocre - there were some solid tracks).
08:55 PM on 03/28/14
gingerrunning
Jus felt like runnin'
User Info.
dig iT!
09:03 PM on 03/28/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.

I didn't think they quite fit, since they had their biggest hit just a few years ago. Latest album was a pleasant surprise though. Could have easily thrown one of those songs on here.

I gotcha! I digress...it's a great playlist! Looking forward to more (especially with some great 3EB tracks like Sharp Knife on them).

One of my personal additions would have Ben Folds Five who came back last year after a huge hiatus (even though the album was mediocre - there were some solid tracks).

Yeah, I thought about Ben Folds Five too. I never really got into any of the songs from that album though. Don't think I've listened to it since the first week or so after its release.
05:29 AM on 03/29/14
cmccloskey
To Here Knows When
User Info.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwYEJ3vZeQs
A favorite of mine from the late 90s
09:13 AM on 03/29/14
brettswanny
brettswanny
User Info.
Loved that Eve 6 song and the majority of the CD. There were a few duds, but for being apart as long as they were, I thought it was well done.
10:36 AM on 03/29/14
botDs-r
www.twitter.com/shawnhyphenray
User Info.
Better Than Ezra literally just released a new single
08:49 AM on 03/30/14
inevitable
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

I get it. Again, I wasn't attempting to attack you or anything. Just thought it was a good playlist and wanted to get some clarification because I lack reading comprehension! P.S. Emerson Harts stuff is pretty solid. Tonic was always a favorite of mine, but I stopped paying attention to them through the years. The list was great, and thanks for the clarification.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos