AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Streaming News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Rdio CEO Talks Artist Payouts and the Crowded Streaming Arena

Posted by - 12:15 PM on 04/03/14
Billboard sat down with the CEO of Rdio, Anthony Bay, to talk about the crowded streaming music space and what the future may hold.
The first thing I would say is that, in fact, if you take the U.S. market, Netflix Hulu and Amazon are all pretty big. So there isn't only one, there's three. And they're different. So the question I think is, over time, how do music services create a unique experience for customers? The other thing is that what you described is true in the United States, but not true anywhere else in the world. This is the only country of any scale that has statutory licensing. So in the United States you have a lot of noise, you have a lot of services which can't exist in other places because they are relying on statutory licensing. Pandora fits into that bucket, Songza fits there.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
12:40 PM on 04/03/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Felt like he kind of side stepped the artist income question.
01:15 PM on 04/03/14
Jake Denning
User Info.
Really hope 2014 is a big year Rdio. A couple of artists (whom I won't mention) say that Rdio pays alright.
01:17 PM on 04/03/14
mms13
should i say something sensational?
User Info.
I greatly prefer Rdio to Spotify. I hope they can stay relevant. Since Spotify acquired Echonest (and Rdio is completely powered by Echonest for its stations/recommendations) I'm kind of worried.
01:41 PM on 04/03/14
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
If you're trying yo defend your product as being beneficial to the music industry its probably not a great idea to liken it yo iTunes, a platform that pretty much destroyed the idea of the album in the mainstream
01:45 PM on 04/03/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
If you're trying yo defend your product as being beneficial to the music industry its probably not a great idea to liken it yo iTunes, a platform that pretty much destroyed the idea of the album in the mainstream
Begs the question if the idea of the album was "beneficial" to the music industry to begin with. I'm old enough to remember buying full albums where 70% of the songs sucked beside the singles ... I would probably argue more concise, but less filler, albums are beneficial to us - the consumer - and the detriment to the industry charging us more money for a shitty product is fine.
01:48 PM on 04/03/14
llluminate
User Info.
Begs the question if the idea of the album was "beneficial" to the music industry to begin with. I'm old enough to remember buying full albums where 70% of the songs sucked beside the singles ... I would probably argue more concise, but less filler, albums are beneficial to us - the consumer - and the detriment to the industry charging us more money for a shitty product is fine.
I'm with you. iTunes might have been detrimental to record labels and some artists, but it sure as hell benefited consumers/listeners.
01:51 PM on 04/03/14
jorbjorb
User Info.
thankful for rdio because i've found many new bands out that way
02:00 PM on 04/03/14
lp670sv
Go Sabres
User Info.
Beneficial to the industry? yes. beneficial to the consumer? no. The industry loved it, they got to squeeze $10-$15 out of people who only wanted one song. Now they only get $1.
04:16 PM on 04/03/14
Dizzy23
User Info.
I agree with the guy though that it creates healthy competition because now artists have to make better music and fight for the consumer's time so to speak as opposed to purchasing a $10 album and letting it collect dust because it sucks.

In a perfect world, if EVERYONE stopped buying and started streaming, dividends could actually be better for some artists.
09:35 PM on 04/03/14
iAMhollyood315
Rest is for the dead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I greatly prefer Rdio to Spotify. I hope they can stay relevant. Since Spotify acquired Echonest (and Rdio is completely powered by Echonest for its stations/recommendations) I'm kind of worried.

I too (and I feel like I'm in the minority) prefer Rdio to Spotify simply based on the UI and the organization. Spotify always felt cluttered to me.
08:23 AM on 04/04/14
mms13
should i say something sensational?
User Info.
I too (and I feel like I'm in the minority) prefer Rdio to Spotify simply based on the UI and the organization. Spotify always felt cluttered to me.
Exactly. Spotify needs to take notes from Rdio's "Collection" feature.
10:03 AM on 04/04/14
OctoberOrigins
Jack
User Info.
I feel like most people who have actually tried Rdio tend to prefer it.
11:23 AM on 04/04/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
I feel like most people who have actually tried Rdio tend to prefer it.
Same.
05:43 PM on 04/04/14
lostintheair
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Since Spotify acquired Echonest (and Rdio is completely powered by Echonest for its stations/recommendations) I'm kind of worried.
Rdio Will Drop The Echo Nest For Music Recommendations Post-Spotify Acquisition

Spotify needs to take notes from Rdio's "Collection" feature.
latest version of spotify has a library finally

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version