AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

The Colourist - The Colourist Album Cover

The Colourist - The Colourist

Reviewed by
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The Colourist - - The Colourist
Record Label: Universal Republic Records
Release Date: March 25, 2014

Clean, polished, harmless radio pop. That’s essentially the MO for California quartet The Colourist. Any other descriptions trying to paint themselves as anything else are more than likely hyperbolic. That being written, The Colourist is a fine album and one that has commercial success written all over it. The disc’s front half is one giant gulp of sugary, sun-drenched accessibility. Whether its the uber-infectious lead single “Little Games” or the ebullient and hopeful “Wishing Wells.” The band is at their best when vocalists Adam Casilla and Maya Tuttle share vocal duties, most notably on the defiant “We Won’t Go Home” and the playful-cum-flirtatious “Tonight (Young Hearts).”

These days a pop band is nothing without an army of synths and the teetering “Yes Yes” proves exactly that. That the song is arguably the weakest on the front half is probably not a coincidence. On the contrary, the acoustic and intimate “Stray Away” is a gorgeous ballad of heart-on-sleeve introspection that proves not only the band’s versatility but also their tender side. Far too many records like this can often power-pack radio single after radio single and never once try for something different. That the band employs a ballad like “Stray Away” is just another reason why their future is more than likely littered with dollar signs.

As one might predict, the disc’s second act continues in much the same pattern. Synths and Maya Tuttle are center stage on the open-hearted “What Can I Say,” a derivative, by-the-book number that has a shelf-life of no more than a half-dozen listens. Ditto for the buoyant “Say You Need Me.” Arguably Tuttle’s strongest song (and one of the band’s strongest, to boot) comes in the form of the spiky and caffeinated “Fix This,” a hard-charging and punchy effort that’s equally as defiant “We Won’t Go Home,” but far more indelible. Penultimate cut “Oh Goodbye” is a sugary slice of heartbreak that’s as compelling and accessible as anything on the first half, while closer “Put the Fire Out” is an absolute throwaway that has zero business being on the album.

There’s little about The Colourist that breaks new ground and even less that will win over the Christgau’s of the world. But harmless, cookie-cutter pop is often a perfect tonic for a bad day and an even better match for the ensuing summer days still to come. Though they’ll probably need to improve leaps and bounds on their next effort to be taken seriously, The Colourist is a joyous summer record and the arrival of a new band more than ready to dominate airwaves.

RIYL American Authors, Imagine Dragons, Youngblood Hawke

The Colourist is Adam Castilla: vocals, guitar
Maya Tuttle: vocals, drums
Kollin Johannsen: bass,
Justin Wagner: keys

Tracklisting 1. Little Games
2. Wishing Wells
3. We Won’t Go Home
4. Yes Yes
5. Tonight (Young Hearts)
6. Stray Away
7. What Can I Say
8. Say You Need Me
9. Fix This
10. Oh Goodbye
11. Put the Fire Out

Produced by Carlos de La Garza (Neon Trees, Young the Giant, Paramore, M83)

Find Them Here http://www.TheColouristMusic.com

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
06:59 AM on 04/10/14
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Shit, I didn't know these guys had a full length releasing. Loved their EP from last year.
09:43 AM on 04/10/14
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Great record.
10:36 AM on 04/10/14
Anthony Sorendino
You are not your idea.
User Info.
Great review. Short and sweet. I'm 4 tracks in and loving it! First time I've ever heard of this band.
01:50 PM on 04/10/14
Steve_JustAGuy
www.justaguy.us
User Info.
Good stuff, really digging the album.
07:30 PM on 04/10/14
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
This album is WAY better than I had expected. Once I got over my cynicism, I really ended up enjoying it.

I have to say, Greg, I do disagree with you on one thing...I rather like "Yes Yes"...song is catchy as hell! But you are dead on about Stray Away...that song is excellent.
05:08 AM on 04/13/14
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This album is WAY better than I had expected. Once I got over my cynicism, I really ended up enjoying it.

I have to say, Greg, I do disagree with you on one thing...I rather like "Yes Yes"...song is catchy as hell! But you are dead on about Stray Away...that song is excellent.
Song hasn't warmed up to me yet. Maybe in due time. So glad to see you comment. It's been awhile!
01:38 PM on 04/13/14
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Song hasn't warmed up to me yet. Maybe in due time. So glad to see you comment. It's been awhile!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos