Password

Album Review

The Bare Minimum - Hit After Hit Album Cover

The Bare Minimum - Hit After Hit

Reviewed by
The Bare Minimum - Hit After Hit
Record Label: N/A
Release Date: March 25, 2014
The Bare Minimum's album 'Hit After Hit' has probably got one of the most suitable album titles I have ever seen. It really does give you 'Hit after Hit', and it is wild Punk Rock at it's finest. The tracks are short, but very energetic from start to finish. The album starts off with the song "Party Alarm", and the band makes the guitar sound like a siren in this song, which is quite unique and a cool idea to start the album off.

The next song is called "Laptop Jockey" and it reminds me of a mixture of Bad Religion and Alkaline Trio (both of which I love, so that's meant as a compliment). "Sheets in the Wind" is more happy sounding and reminds me of Anti-Flag, but without the political lyrics. I love the chorus of this song, especially the line "Life won't wait for you, they'll just replace what you got inside you."

"Mucho Frio" has got slight hints of Spanish sounds and I like the variety of this album so far. Often Punk Bands write a lot of songs that sound very similar, but this band keeps it interesting on this album. The next song is called "Nerd at the Punk Show" and I expected something silly, like an old Blink 182 song, but the lyrics and chords are quite serious sounding. I think this song describes a lot of kids at punk shows these days who don't really understand what it's all about.

"Destroy the Human Race" sounds almost a bit like an old-school metal song. I like the melody that the guitar plays here. This is obviously a song about things that come from outer space and I like that this band sings about different subjects and not just the same old boring shit like love, etc. I love how the guitar switches from lead to rhythm in this song, and the lyrics of this band turn out to be quite emotional at times. I also think the lyrics are quite well written in this song, I love the line "I close my eyes and just pretend that the bars between us will someday bend."

"Dead in the Dirt" is classic Punk Rock with fast drums and this a classic song to just go crazy in a mosh pit. It is quite short at only 1:24, but many classic punk songs are about this length, so I don't think that is an issue. "Snake Charmer" is a again a classic song to really go crazy and this song really makes me want to see this band live. But the title reminds me of Blink 182's song that happens to also be called "Snake Charmer." But most people won't know or mind that, I don't think.

"Body and Soul" sounds a bit more mainstream and almost reminds me of the Foo Fighters (and I like some of their stuff, so that's meant as a compliment). The album ends with the song "All is All" and this is actually my favourite song. I love the melody and how the drums work together with the guitars. I think this is an awesome album and I would recommend this to anyone who is into punk bands like Rancid, Alkaline Trio, Face to Face and None More Black. It is full of energy and has some quite good lyrics as well!

Recommended If You LikeRancid, Alkaline Trio, Face To Face, None More Black

http://www.thebareminimum.ca/
This review is a user submitted review from Taro. You can see all of Taro's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
11:33 AM on 04/16/14
HappyTheHippie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good shit

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles