Username
Password

12:21 PM on 04/09/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
General discussions, news topics, etc ... all about technology.
12:41 PM on 04/09/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Gofor imagines a future world where drones are cheap and ubiquitous.

Weird.
01:29 PM on 04/09/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
What's your guys' go to tech news site?

I used to use Mashable ton but that dropped off considerably with the site redesign a while back. Honestly I think my favorite source right now is just using the Tech section on the Facebook Pages app.
Techmeme.com

I'll also read TheVerge.com most days.

Also:

Daringfireball.net
Marco.org
Stratechery.com

Ended up writing a much longer list here.
03:44 PM on 04/09/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Hackers Lurking in Vents and Soda Machines
They came in through the Chinese takeout menu.

Unable to breach the computer network at a big oil company, hackers infected with malware the online menu of a Chinese restaurant that was popular with employees. When the workers browsed the menu, they inadvertently downloaded code that gave the attackers a foothold in the business’s vast computer network.

This story is crazy.
04:11 PM on 04/09/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Heartbleed is a catastrophic bug in OpenSSL, on a scale of 1 to 10, it is an 11
Heartbleed is a catastrophic bug in OpenSSL: … Basically, an attacker can grab 64K of memory from a server. The attack leaves no trace, and can be done multiple times to grab a different random 64K of memory.
12:07 AM on 04/10/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
http://filippo.io/Heartbleed/

Site to test URL's to check if they're patched or not for the Heartbleed bug.

Before changing passwords on sites -- worth checking first.
11:20 AM on 04/10/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
The aging process can be slowed, but it's an inexorable deterioration, as our bodies stop repairing the organs we need to survive. But researchers at the University of Edinburgh have managed to regenerate at least one organ in mice by tweaking a single gene. The team targeted the thymus, an organ responsible for incubating the white blood cells — called T cells — that attack infections. The thymus is crucial in immune system development, but it's also one of the first organs to atrophy in otherwise healthy humans. As a person (or mouse) ages normally, they'll become more and more vulnerable to disease, making something like the flu potentially deadly.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/10/56...thymus-in-mice
11:22 AM on 04/10/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Society can't stop coming up with new ways to take selfies. The S.E.L.F.I.E, which is short for "Self Enhancing Live Feed Image Engine," is a two-way mirror that will capture your selfies for you with the help of a Mac Mini, a webcam and Arduino-controlled LEDs. Users activate the experimental device by standing on a custom vinyl graphic on the floor and smiling. The S.E.L.F.I.E will then execute a countdown before taking a photograph and publishing it on Twitter. Designed by digital agency iStrategyLabs, the S.E.L.F.I.E feels like a more sophisticated version of last year's Twitter Mirror, which allowed celebrities to shoot self-portraits and upload them to relevant event feeds. Those looking to acquire a S.E.L.F.I.E of their own so they can turn their bathrooms into amateur photography studios should contact iStrategyLabs directly.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/10/55...elfies-for-you
11:24 AM on 04/10/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
A controversial document that suggests that Jesus of Nazareth had a wife is most likely ancient and not a modern forgery, according to a paper published today in the Harvard Theological Review. The papyrus fragment, known as the "Gospel of Jesus's Wife," has been the subject of widespread debate since it was discovered in 2012 because it includes the phrase "Jesus said to them, 'My wife...'." It also mentions that "she will be able to be my disciple," which led some to question whether women should be allowed to become Catholic priests.

http://gospelofjesusswife.hds.harvard.edu/
11:44 AM on 04/10/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Very, very, very disappointed in this.
11:55 AM on 04/10/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Not a dropbox user myself, but this certainly guarantees that won't be changing.
Grumble.

Making me consider getting a Transporter honestly.
01:57 PM on 04/10/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
http://www.drop-dropbox.com/

It's begun.
03:10 PM on 04/11/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Dropbox responds ...
"There's nothing more important to us than keeping your stuff safe and secure," Houston writes. "It's why we've been fighting for transparency and government surveillance reform, and why we've been vocal and public with our principles and values." He notes that "none of that will change" with Rice joining the Dropbox board, and reiterated the fact that the company was proud to have her on the board.

Meh.
03:11 PM on 04/11/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member

The Transform table made its debut at the Lexus Design Amazing exhibition in Milan. It employs three "Dynamic Shape Displays" that collectively move 1,000 pins that respond to gestures in real-time. The display can undulate in wave forms, and is designed to remind the owner of water or sand.
03:58 PM on 04/11/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Samsung Misled Investors
This week we learned, thanks to a February 2012 internal Samsung document marked “top secret” and unearthed by Apple as part of its ongoing patent infringement proceedings, that we were right and those more credulous news outlets were wrong.

When Strategy Analytics was telling the world that Samsung sold 2 million Galaxy Tabs in six weeks, the truth was that it took Samsung all of 2011 to sell half that many.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos