Male - 23 Years Old
Sub sub sub
09:29 AM on 04/16/14 
User Info.
codeseven
fucked tortured and discarded
Raleigh, NC
Male - 26 Years Old
Being someone who grew up on AOL and used AIM religiously, I found this article on Mashable pretty interesting. Apparently I'm part of the 1% that still uses AIM today, hah.
12:58 PM on 04/17/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Snowden asks Putin if he spies on Russians..
What Putin didn't say, however, is that Russia actually boasts one of the most sophisticated surveillance systems in the world, described by some as "PRISM on steroids." This system, known as SORM, practically gives the Federal Security Service (FSB) direct access to Internet servers and telecommunications providers, allowing the government to eavesdrop on all online and phone communications that go through their networks.

Even though the FSB must get warrants before accessing any data or communications, they don't have to show them to anyone, as Andrei Soldatov, an independent journalist who has written extensively about Russia's surveillance powers, told Mashable in January.

More:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...awn-of-it.html
01:13 PM on 04/18/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Misunderstanding Innovation
But there is another form of ignorance which seems to be universal: the inability to understand the concept and role of innovation. The way this is exhibited is in the misuse of the term and the inability to discern the difference between novelty, creation, invention and innovation. The result is a failure to understand the causes of success and failure in business and hence the conditions that lead to economic growth.

This piece is fantastic.
05:27 PM on 04/18/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
"Nike fires majority of FuelBand team, will stop making wearable hardware"

http://t.co/A0hAnf2GTW
05:36 PM on 04/18/14 
User Info.
Chris Collum
Louisville, KY
Staff Member

Drew is crying somewhere
09:04 PM on 04/18/14 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member

Drew is crying somewhere

nah - I'm good. The device works fine for me and they aren't shuttering the software portion which is what's really important. I figured this would only have a life of 1.5-2 years and when Nike and Apple join forces with whatever wearable Apple release I'll get that.
07:49 AM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
JordanKTM
Right Back At It Again
MPAA and RIAA Members Uploaded Over 2,000 Gigabytes to Megaupload - Both the MPAA and RIAA filed civil lawsuits against Megaupload and Kim Dotcom for massive copyright infringement. What they failed to mention, however, is that many of their members' employees were actually sharing files on the site

This month both the MPAA and RIAA filed civil lawsuits against Megaupload and its founder Kim Dotcom for massive copyright infringement. What they failed to mention, however, is that many of their members' employees were actually sharing files on the site. In addition, Disney, Warner Brothers and Fox were all eager to set up content distribution or advertising deals with Megaupload
11:10 AM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Spencer Control
Yeah I still burn from time to time
I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on AdBlock and similar mechanisms. Given that AP is supported at least in part by ad-based revenue, how does one make the decision of which ads to block, if any? I've heard arguments that state that the system of ad-based revenue is a poor one and thus should be subverted to force developers to improve their business plans, and more that it simply doesn't matter for sites such as YouTube (in that Google already has tons of money, why give them more, et cetera). I appear to be in the minority of people who don't like using AdBlock, so where do you all stand?
11:54 AM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
MPAA and RIAA Members Uploaded Over 2,000 Gigabytes to Megaupload - Both the MPAA and RIAA filed civil lawsuits against Megaupload and Kim Dotcom for massive copyright infringement. What they failed to mention, however, is that many of their members' employees were actually sharing files on the site

This month both the MPAA and RIAA filed civil lawsuits against Megaupload and its founder Kim Dotcom for massive copyright infringement. What they failed to mention, however, is that many of their members' employees were actually sharing files on the site. In addition, Disney, Warner Brothers and Fox were all eager to set up content distribution or advertising deals with Megaupload
So? That entire article's premise is flawed.
12:02 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on AdBlock and similar mechanisms. Given that AP is supported at least in part by ad-based revenue, how does one make the decision of which ads to block, if any? I've heard arguments that state that the system of ad-based revenue is a poor one and thus should be subverted to force developers to improve their business plans, and more that it simply doesn't matter for sites such as YouTube (in that Google already has tons of money, why give them more, et cetera). I appear to be in the minority of people who don't like using AdBlock, so where do you all stand?
It's really pretty simple: Adblock hurts those that rely on advertising revenue to run their sites. Hurting a service, even if they are already making a lot of money, that you are using -- is, imo, wrong. The cost to run YouTube is in the millions.

(I use it selectively on, and only on, extremely intrusive ads.)
(I prefer a model that allows those that don't want to see ads at all to pay a website operator to have them removed. )
12:45 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Spencer Control
It's really pretty simple: Adblock hurts those that rely on advertising revenue to run their sites. Hurting a service, even if they are already making a lot of money, that you are using -- is, imo, wrong. The cost to run YouTube is in the millions.

(I prefer a model that allows those that don't want to see ads at all to pay a website operator to have them removed. )

Yep, this pretty much is exactly where I sit - but for whatever reason, when I try to explain it to my friends, they just keep repeating the idea that "one person doing it doesn't matter" or "the corporation is big enough to absorb the costs." They usually don't even get to the level argumentatively of it being a faulty business model or anything like that.
01:08 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Simulcast
You make that dance look so new
Male - 28 Years Old

Guess I will uninstall adblock. I mean I knew what I was doing, but seeing it put so succinctly makes me think I shouldn't be doing it.
01:15 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Spencer Control
Guess I will uninstall adblock. I mean I knew what I was doing, but seeing it put so succinctly makes me think I shouldn't be doing it.

You can disable it for websites - I just downloaded AdBlock Plus and set it to allow all ads, and then block what I feel is necessary. Feel like it's the closest thing to a happy medium.
01:23 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Simulcast
You make that dance look so new
Male - 28 Years Old
You can disable it for websites - I just downloaded AdBlock Plus and set it to allow all ads, and then block what I feel is necessary. Feel like it's the closest thing to a happy medium.

Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. Fuck that McDonald's ad so hard though.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos