Username
Password

09:35 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. Fuck that McDonald's ad so hard though.
This.
10:12 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
lp670sv
Go Sabres
Buffalo, NY
Male - 22 Years Old
That McDonald's ad haunts my dreams
03:26 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Netflix to raise prices.
Netflix is about to get more expensive, but only by a dollar or two. In his company's Q1 letter to shareholders, CEO Reed Hastings said, "Our current view is to do a one or two dollar increase, depending on the country, later this quarter for new members only." Hastings then noted that existing customers will be able to stay at the $7.99 monthly rate "for generous time period." (The company says it experienced "limited impact" after it hiked prices for new members by $1 in Ireland.) Raising prices will allow Netflix "acquire more content and deliver an even better streaming experience," Hastings said.
03:27 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Struggling Beats
Billboard reports that Beats Music is off to a slow start and has put together disappointing subscription numbers in its first 100 days since launch. The total paid subscriber count is said to be somewhere in the "low six figures" range. And that's after a generous free trial window and a major marketing push. Beats showcased its young streaming music app with a perfectly timed Richard Sherman spot and a pricey Super Bowl ad. But industry insiders tell BIllboard that Beats Music isn't yet taking off like anyone had hoped.
03:32 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
tonyC4L
tech-savvy at-risk youth
San Francisco, CA
Male - 26 Years Old
Not really miffed at all by the Netflix price increase. Even at $9.99/month it would still be a great value for the content they have now.
03:37 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Guess I will uninstall adblock. I mean I knew what I was doing, but seeing it put so succinctly makes me think I shouldn't be doing it.

You can disable it for websites - I just downloaded AdBlock Plus and set it to allow all ads, and then block what I feel is necessary. Feel like it's the closest thing to a happy medium.

That's basically what my suggestion would be too. You can right click > block certain ads or play with filters to avoid certain things. And I think that's a good medium to walk down. Intrusive ads should be blocked IMO.

Other things to think about are how are you supporting the site if you do block the ads (via lots of promotion, engagement, donations, etc.). It's a very weird line to walk given the size and scope of websites like AP.net.

Singularly run blogs make things easier ... example: Daringfireball.net -- I read his sponsorships each week, I click on them to get more information and add value to the sponsor, and I don't block ads from The Deck (his ad company). Far easier in that situation where one person = one blog and writing. The "machine" that is AP.net has far more nuances to account for.
03:41 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
03:43 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Kickstarter: Game of Phones.
One player picks a card and gets to judge that round. They read the prompt to everyone else. Something like 'Find the best #selfie' or 'Show the last photo you took'. Everyone finds something on their phones and shows the judge, who gets to choose a winner for that round. First to win 10 rounds is the overall winner.

Can't decide if genius or lame.
05:41 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
Ryan Dennehy
Staff Member
Kickstarter: Game of Phones.
One player picks a card and gets to judge that round. They read the prompt to everyone else. Something like 'Find the best #selfie' or 'Show the last photo you took'. Everyone finds something on their phones and shows the judge, who gets to choose a winner for that round. First to win 10 rounds is the overall winner.

Can't decide if genius or lame.
this definitely does not need to be a physical product. it could easily be an app and would be much more successful/sensible.
06:07 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
tonyC4L
tech-savvy at-risk youth
San Francisco, CA
Male - 26 Years Old
this definitely does not need to be a physical product. it could easily be an app and would be much more successful/sensible.
The only caveat with that is that whoever uses their phone for the game presumably cannot also be a participant. I still have a feeling that a physical product isn't necessary either, but I'm not sure if an app is the best alternative for this particular game unless players also have a tablet or an extra phone to use
09:51 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
netflix prince increase isn't a big deal but I do think Hulu+ is a better value - at least for me.
09:57 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
What's Hulu got?
12:15 AM on 04/22/14 
User Info.
OldJersey
I respect women
New Jersey
Male - 26 Years Old

http://www.hulu.com/plus/content

Just browsing through a little and damn it's pretty impressive, lots of currently on air shows and sitcom series I've totally forgotten about. Oh and the clincher for me, first four Real World seasons.
06:04 AM on 04/22/14 
User Info.
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
I find myself using my brother's Hulu+ account more than my Netflix. We don't have DVR so it's great for catching any show I miss during the week.
06:20 AM on 04/22/14 
User Info.
OldJersey
I respect women
New Jersey
Male - 26 Years Old
I find myself using my brother's Hulu+ account more than my Netflix. We don't have DVR so it's great for catching any show I miss during the week.

How quickly are episodes put up after its first airing?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos