Username
Password

12:31 PM on 04/09/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
A place to talk about Facebook / tech / etc.
04:12 PM on 04/09/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Facebook Is Forcing All Users To Download Messenger By Ripping Chat Out Of Its Main Apps
Facebook is taking its standalone app strategy to an extreme new level today. It's starting to notify users they'll no longer have the option to send and receive messages in Facebook for iOS and Android …

I don't see this going well.
04:12 PM on 04/11/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
How about the shitty update to their main app today? Holy shit is it awful.
What'd they do? I use Paper exclusively now.
02:39 PM on 04/17/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
https://www.facebook.com/paper

iOS app
03:34 PM on 04/17/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Meh? It's probably one of the top 5 best designed apps on the platform ...
12:27 AM on 04/20/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I don't understand how a multiple billion dollar company like facebook can justify releasing Paper only on iOS, only an iPhone optimized version, and only in the US. Kinda baffling.
Really? Makes total sense for that product and team.
04:16 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
How does it make sense for a company to purposely limit their market like that?

Why does it make more sense for Paper to be iOS-only than any other app produced by Facebook??

A few reasons:

First it's rolled out as basically a way to test new ways to interact with the product. It's not meant to be the main app at the moment, it's meant for a small subset of users. Second, it's being developed by Mike Matas -- longtime Apple developer (and former Apple employee) -- and using techniques and interactions that only work fluidly on iOS. The animations and UX stuff they are doing can only be done reliably on iOS. Third, the (unstated) goal appears to be to appeal to a subset of Facebook users that really value design and that experience -- by and large those users are iOS users. It's another part of the reason most apps do go iOS first: it's a better platform to develop for and the users are better users. They use apps more, they value the design and process more, and they equate to "better" users. If you're looking to experiment via your Creative Labs department with with a new paradigm for browsing your product -- developing for a platform with less fragmentation and an engaged userbase makes the most sense. The experimentation allows you to A-B test new features and a new experience without alienating your entire customer base. If only a small % end up using it every single day -- but they're using it because it brings them joy and value when the other app did not (I fall into that category, I use Paper far more cause I really like it -- and I avoided Facebook on mobile before) -- that's a net win. You have engaged and delighted a group you weren't before.

And lastly ... with an experimental release, it makes sense to go small and then expand:

1) The launch is US only
2) The launch is on iPhone only
3) The launch is on iOS 7 only

They went small on purpose to best optimize the experience.

(More from the developers themselves.)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version