AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Lydia News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Show Review: Lydia's "Illuminate" Tour - Austin, TX

Posted by - 10:38 AM on 04/10/14
Read our write up of the Austin 4/5 stop of Lydia's "Illuminate" tour with HRVRD and Golden Sun.
Just over five years old now, it’s no wonder Illuminate holds such a legacy behind it to so many people. As Lydia encored with three Devil cuts – “Devil,” “Knee Deep,” and “The Exit” – and Paint It Golden’s “Best Nights.” I realized how well the band can do both sides – the dark, atmospheric songs of Illuminate as well as the upbeat, spring soundtrack that is Devil. I find myself enjoying each of their records for a different reason, but Illuminate is the one that will always hold the most meaning to me. It holds more meaning to me than maybe any other record, and this night confirmed exactly why.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
11:08 AM on 04/10/14
buk182
User Info.
I went to the date in nc. Amazing show.
11:09 AM on 04/10/14
fournyay
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been fascinated seeing how much good press this tour has gotten. My wife and I went in Pomona and walked out early absolutely hating what we had just seen. The performance didn't do any justice to the original recordings and Leighton seemed to use the show as an hour and a half of ego stroking. Just wasn't feeling it at all.
11:36 AM on 04/10/14
njdevils327
You know Craigslist? That's my list
User Info.
This was one of the best nights of my life. I was broken up with a week before the Philly date and I absolutely needed a good cry.

As I've told Ryan on a few occasions, and as other people on this board know, Illuminate is my all-time favorite album. Walking into the Union Transfer on a cold, rainy, dark night, I just instantly felt at home and remembered why it is I spend so much listening to music and especially listening to Illuminate.

The renditions of the songs weren't perfect. Some of the parts could've used Mindy or another female vocalist to lend a harmonic backing, but none of that mattered in the end. In the end, what mattered is that everyone, the band and the crowd, had memories and feelings associated with those songs and let those memories and feelings wash over them for an hour.

It was one of the most transformative experiences I've ever had. And I thank Leighton and Lydia for putting this tour together.
11:44 AM on 04/10/14
bonkers bonkers
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've been fascinated seeing how much good press this tour has gotten. My wife and I went in Pomona and walked out early absolutely hating what we had just seen. The performance didn't do any justice to the original recordings and Leighton seemed to use the show as an hour and a half of ego stroking. Just wasn't feeling it at all.
My thoughts exactly. Leighton killed the songs in New York. In a bad way.
12:21 PM on 04/10/14
prettyLUSH16
Soundtrack To A Headrush
User Info.

I'm glad I didn't go to see them now, ill just listen to the album so I don't have a memory of a terrible concert attached to it.
07:39 AM on 04/11/14
*dannyg*
dannygcanfly
User Info.
I'm glad I didn't go to see them now, ill just listen to the album so I don't have a memory of a terrible concert attached to it.

I saw them open up for The Dear Hunter right after Illuminate came out while Mindy was still in the band, & that was a fantastic show. The band was the same band who wrote Illuminate, & the vibe was there. I understand what people are saying, but I do still think it was amazing, its always some type of special to see one of your favorite albums played front to back.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos