Username
Password

07:06 PM on 04/10/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
A place to talk about headphones and other audio equipment.
07:06 PM on 04/10/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
The biggest advice I give anyone when buying headphones (or other audio equipment) is to do the research first. Read as much as you can about the different products and options you have. Try and understand what problem you want to solve (comfort, sound, portability, look, etc.) and then search for the product that best hits all these marks. And lastly, you need to listen to the music you’re actually going to be listening to through them when you test them. If you listen to a certain kind of genre more than another — test using that music or a playlist of your favorites. The bass in your favorite punk album is going to sound different than the Top 40 test music they have at the store.

Before buying headphones guide to read:
As the Wirecutter’s resident headphone tester and an audio engineer by training, I hear a lot of the same questions over and over again. Like: “How much should I spend on headphones?” and “Are Beats By Dre good?” and “What’s the difference between in-ear and over-ear headphones?” Let me answer these questions for you.

Spend some time learning if you want open or closed headphones (good video about difference) and on ear or over ear or in ear.

Here are my favorites:

Earbuds:

Klipsch Image S4-II
-- Super portable, great sound to price ratio.

(Love all Klipsch earbuds.)

Open Headphones:

beyerdynamic DT 990

Closed Headphones (Under $150):

Sony MDR7506
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Onkyo ES-FC300
Sennheiser HD-280 PRO

Little more expensive:

Beyerdynamic DT-770

Closed Headphones (Around $300):

PSB's M4U 1s
Sennheiser Momentum

Super Expensive:

Beyerdynamic T90
LCD-3
12:02 PM on 04/11/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I've been looking for good in ears, when I can't use my on ear Sol's. I'll look into them. Thanks.

might just get those in ear sol's though. im in love with sol
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Image-...sch+image+s4ii

Currently on sale. Those are my fav.
12:22 PM on 04/11/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Updated my first post now.
12:33 PM on 04/11/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
They're a name. They don't sound bad, but there's usually always something better you can get for the price.

But I totally agree with you about comfort. They're the most comfortable in ear headphones I've ever worn.
Yeah, I agree with you.

When I was in college (so like 10 years ago now) -- I bought some Bose speakers for my TV. They were so expensive I refuse to buy new ones even though I know I could get better sound. But I'm gonna use them until they stop working.
12:34 PM on 04/11/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
These are the speakers (Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX) I have on my desktop computer -- and I fucking love them.
12:35 PM on 04/11/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
This ultimate-ears mini (bluetooth) boom is my favorite podcast (shower/outside) speaker. The quality is insanely good for the size and price.
02:23 PM on 04/11/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Seeing as you seem to love klipsch (that's not a bad thing, they're a good company), did you know Paul Klipsch is the only speaker maker to be inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame?
That's kinda cool.

I do like Klipsch, I've found them to be the best speakers for my favorite kinda music by and large. Plus, they have great customer service.
01:36 PM on 04/14/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I've got the same speakers. Turning the volume knob when it's below ~30% causes the volume to jump around and creates quite a bit of static, do yours do the same? I got used to it, but after it went away for a few days and came back I want to figure out a solution.
I don't turn the volume knob on the speakers, I set them and then change volume using the software. Sorry, wish I could be of more help.
10:45 AM on 04/16/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Yeah, keep the volume at a fair (60%) level with earbuds ... I only use them outside / walking / in bed. Otherwise I use my OTEs.
10:48 AM on 04/16/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
How are these for running/misc. exercise?
They would work pretty well, since they come with a variety of little ear cups to make sure you can get a good fit. However, they're just regular hanging ones -- so the around the ear trick may work to keep them in place better. I've used them while running.

These get the "best exercice headphone" pick at the wire cutter:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...se-headphones/

But I've never tried them.
06:55 PM on 04/22/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Anyone store their headphones on a hook under their desk? Any recommendations?

Like this idea ... but don't trust an adhesive with my headphones ... without a screw/anchor system ... I'd be very worried to try this specific product.
07:51 PM on 04/22/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
at home : Grado SR80i and Sennheiser HD595.
with my Ipod : SoundMagic E10 and Sennheiser PX 100-II (I mostly use the SoundMagic)

Absolutely LOVE the sound of the Grado's I've tried out ... but they were really uncomfortable in my longevity tests.
07:51 PM on 04/22/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
I find I focus so much better with headphones on then playing music through speakers ... anyone else?
07:52 PM on 04/22/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Surprised Grado hasn't come up for open cans. I enjoy my SR80s ($100).

Maybe I'm weird, but I can't live without clear, sparkling treble when I listen to music. My Klipsch bookshelf speakers with horn tweeters are among my most prized possessions. More sophisticated audiophile speakers and studio monitors that tend to roll off the highs just suck all the joy out of music, for me at least. I also remove the front grill from any speakers I use to reduce attenuation of the high frequencies, and notice a significant audible difference in doing so.

Anyway, Grado seems to be the closest thing you can get to that style when it comes to headphones. I still think Klipsch speakers sound better than Grado cans, though. Grados are a little too "gravel-ish" in the mids, and definitely lack bass. However, I still prefer them over the Beyers and AudioTechnicas I've tried.
I'm with you about treble, it's why I lean toward Klipsch and Beyerdynamic ... I find the treble more pleasing to my ears.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos