AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

01:17 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Genuma
Plainfield, IL
Male
Only downsides seem to be the wait time and the lack of a cueing lever (which I think they're adding soon), but all the reviews seem to be positive.
How long is the wait time roughly?
01:55 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
iden22
close call
Miami, FL
Male - 20 Years Old
How long is the wait time roughly?

Right now it's at about five weeks. I had ordered one back in December but I canceled it because they pushed it until March.
02:05 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Thinking about getting a U-Turn Orbit soon. Anyone have experience? I've only heard good things.

…the [U-turn] tables I measured are more than 2 times worse than their specs and possibly much more…

Unfortunately, both suffer from is a tendency to slow down a bit during certain musical passages. Speed shifts under 1% are often inaudible to people, but the shifts from the U-Turn tables are easy to hear. At first, I wasn’t sure if it was just me, so I called in Wirecutter associate editor Michael Zhao and his brother to make sure I wasn’t just hearing things. Both of them immediately noticed the speed shifts as well—long, sustained notes develop an unpleasant warbling

Doing a direct A-B comparison of them to the Audio Technica, the sound is very close but the speed shifts make it easy to choose the AT-LP120-USB. And compared to the Pro-Ject, the U-Turn tables are a clear step down in clarity and bass response. The tonearm is also limited in what cartridges it can support due to a smaller range of counterweight adjustments. The extra $50 for the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB over the Orbit Basic is clearly worth it.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

I heard one at a friend's house and it had a hollow sound to me -- the build quality was good compared to most "budget" turntables I see -- but I wasn't all that impressed with the output (aware there are other factors that could come into play there).
10:00 PM on 04/19/14 
User Info.
Dizzy23
Louisiana
Male - 25 Years Old

…the [U-turn] tables I measured are more than 2 times worse than their specs and possibly much more…

Unfortunately, both suffer from is a tendency to slow down a bit during certain musical passages. Speed shifts under 1% are often inaudible to people, but the shifts from the U-Turn tables are easy to hear. At first, I wasn’t sure if it was just me, so I called in Wirecutter associate editor Michael Zhao and his brother to make sure I wasn’t just hearing things. Both of them immediately noticed the speed shifts as well—long, sustained notes develop an unpleasant warbling

Doing a direct A-B comparison of them to the Audio Technica, the sound is very close but the speed shifts make it easy to choose the AT-LP120-USB. And compared to the Pro-Ject, the U-Turn tables are a clear step down in clarity and bass response. The tonearm is also limited in what cartridges it can support due to a smaller range of counterweight adjustments. The extra $50 for the Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB over the Orbit Basic is clearly worth it.

I heard one at a friend's house and it had a hollow sound to me -- the build quality was good compared to most "budget" turntables I see -- but I wasn't all that impressed with the output (aware there are other factors that could come into play there).

The u turn and lp120 have been the two I've been debating against for sometime. So thank you for this. Made my decision. Any suggestions on speakers to go with it? Powered with built in amp preferably unless you can recommend otherwise
06:56 PM on 04/20/14 
User Info.
Genuma
Plainfield, IL
Male

Interesting. Didn't know there was that much disparity between the two.
09:16 PM on 04/20/14 
User Info.
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
My LP60 sounds awesome, with a Sony 2ch receiver and some old speakers from my grandpa+a sub I found in my parents basement.
07:25 AM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
thechrisformat
let's tune out
Avondale, PA
Male - 27 Years Old
Little outdated, but this is my set-up. Numark TT, Harmon Kardon receiver, Sony speakers, and some old subwoofer. Need to upgrade TT soon, though.
10:38 AM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
Anaheim,California
Male - 20 Years Old
I use an AT LP 120 with some bookshelf speakers and I'm pretty content with that.
12:52 PM on 04/21/14 
User Info.
VoiceoffCamera
NJ
Male - 30 Years Old
I use an AT LP 120 with some bookshelf speakers and I'm pretty content with that.

Do you need a receiver or it can connect directly into the bookshelf speakers? Looking to upgrade my current set up and thinking of getting an AT LP120
09:16 PM on 04/22/14 
User Info.
johnnyferris
Anaheim,California
Male - 20 Years Old
Do you need a receiver or it can connect directly into the bookshelf speakers? Looking to upgrade my current set up and thinking of getting an AT LP120
Mine is hooked up to a receiver, which is then connected to the speakers.
07:22 AM on 04/23/14 
User Info.
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
If you don't use a receiver, you need an amplifier.
http://turntablelab.com/pages/beginn...ntables#common
This site helped me when I bought my stuff a couple months ago.
05:11 PM on 04/23/14 
User Info.
esposimi
http://homestarrunner.com/sbemail45
Harrisburg, PA
Male - 24 Years Old
My AT-LP60 has a built-in amp but it is has a very low level output, I run it through a mixer with an amp built in.
11:49 PM on 04/23/14 
User Info.
johnnyferris
Anaheim,California
Male - 20 Years Old
This may not be the best place for this, but what do you guys use to hold your 7" records? Any recommendations?
06:15 PM on 04/24/14 
User Info.
troubledbyinsects
~
westfield, ma
Male - 20 Years Old
This may not be the best place for this, but what do you guys use to hold your 7" records? Any recommendations?
http://www.sleevecityusa.com/45-rpm-.../3str7nbox.htm
06:55 PM on 04/24/14 
User Info.
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
nj
Male - 30 Years Old
I purchased a Pro-ject Debut Carbon in blue back in January along with a pair of Monitor Audio RX8 Speakers and I couldnt be happier.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos