Username
Password

09:21 AM on 04/27/14 
User Info.
cowlord
( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)
Dayton, OH
Male - 20 Years Old
Is it possible that my RCA cables for my aturntable aren't working? I have it plugged into my receiver and everything else works through it except for the turntable. I don't think it's my needle because I can hear the sound from the needle on the wax if I listen closely. Sorry if this is a dumb question, it was my dad's old one that he found and I don't know much about this stuff.
09:37 AM on 04/27/14 
User Info.
atlastitsok
Phoenix, AZ
Male - 27 Years Old
Is it possible that my RCA cables for my aturntable aren't working? I have it plugged into my receiver and everything else works through it except for the turntable. I don't think it's my needle because I can hear the sound from the needle on the wax if I listen closely. Sorry if this is a dumb question, it was my dad's old one that he found and I don't know much about this stuff.

You will likely need to invest in a pre amp to get that turntable working in your current setup.
06:26 PM on 04/28/14 
User Info.
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
Indianapolis
Male - 28 Years Old
Staff Member
I think this is also a good thread to post pics of your set up - I'm always interested in how people set up their collection and system
06:28 PM on 04/28/14 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
i need to clean my desk hahaha but i'll have some pics later
07:14 PM on 04/28/14 
User Info.
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old

I just set this up a couple months ago, it's been pretty nice. LP60 with a Sony 2ch receiver, and some old speakers + a sub our grandparents gave us. Currently storing records in the Sony box there haha
08:13 PM on 04/28/14 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
turntable/receiver (#np rooms of the house)

the speakers for the turntable are on the outside. the inside are for my computer

the collection. really need to get shelves or somethin

08:17 PM on 04/28/14 
User Info.
troubledbyinsects
~
westfield, ma
Male - 20 Years Old
My set up is so shit. I need new speakers.

Also I have too many records who wants to buy some http://deadformat.net/tradelist/circatbs
03:59 PM on 05/05/14 
User Info.
Robb
ism
Colorado Springs
Male
I'm probably going to just grab that AT-LP120, since it seems to have one of the best balances of quality to price I've seen.

Cartridges are something I know even less about, so I'll have to do some research (aka ask people who know more than I do, to save effort), before dropping $75-100 on one.

And so as long as the speakers are self-powered, that's all I'd need to at least have a functioning setup?
06:51 PM on 05/05/14 
User Info.
brook183
Leave the lunchmeat for the sharks
Southgate, MI
Male - 23 Years Old
I believe so.
08:16 PM on 05/05/14 
User Info.
esposimi
The System Is Down
Harrisburg, PA
Male - 24 Years Old
From my experience, turntable amps have shitty balance and seem to not have a loud output. I bypassed the built-in one on mine and have it running through a mixer.
03:26 PM on 05/07/14 
User Info.
Robb
ism
Colorado Springs
Male
I use an AT LP 120 with some bookshelf speakers and I'm pretty content with that.

I read this in that review Jason posted :

Quote:
Unlike the U-Turn tables, you need to attach the counterweight and balance the tone-arm for the AT-LP120-USB. You can do this for $30 with the Shure SFG-2 Stylus Tracking Gauge. You should do this with any turntable in case something was adjusted during shipping and you need a scale if you ever want to adjust the cartridge as well. It would be nice if you didn’t need to do this, but you really should.

Did you (or anyone with this model) do this / need to do this? I was just wondering if that gauge was something I needed to pick up.
03:47 PM on 05/07/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
You should be able to do it without the gauge. Instructions come with.
03:55 PM on 05/07/14 
User Info.
Robb
ism
Colorado Springs
Male
You should be able to do it without the gauge. Instructions come with.

Okay cool. I'm trying not to go overboard with accessories before even getting the table (especially since I don't know what some do / if I need them), so I'll probably start bare and get things if needed.
12:17 PM on 05/09/14 
User Info.
Robb
ism
Colorado Springs
Male
Welp, grabbed a 120, one of the Shure cartridges, and an extra headshell for the hell of it.

Now to just grab a pair of decent speakers and a more decent set of headphones (since it'll be in the office and I'll be using the phones more).
01:38 PM on 05/09/14 
User Info.
Jason Tate
Portland, OR
Male - 31 Years Old
Staff Member
Hopes you love it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music