Password

12:20 PM on 08/10/14 
User Info.
TSLROCKS
Knicks 2016 World Champions!
Brooklyn, NY
Male
Looking into getting a vinyl player finally

A little out of my element here though. I see jason recommended this one. Seems interesting. Definitely a hefty price but I could swing it. I'm very lost in what additional items I would need in addition to the record player. I don't have an intense speaker setup or anything at all in my house at the moment so would most likely need to purchase one. Just a little out of my depth and lost easily.

Would anyone be able to help kinda guide me which way to go?
02:41 AM on 08/11/14 
User Info.
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
Southern California
Female

A little out of my element here though. I see jason recommended this one. Seems interesting. Definitely a hefty price but I could swing it. I'm very lost in what additional items I would need in addition to the record player. I don't have an intense speaker setup or anything at all in my house at the moment so would most likely need to purchase one. Just a little out of my depth and lost easily.

It looks like that turntable has built-in phono, so you'll just need a power amp (not necessary if you already have a receiver) and speakers.

Going used (eBay or Craigslist) is your best bet. The NAD 3020 is an excellent amp that can go for $70-80 used depending on where you live/where you look. As for speakers, this guide may help: http://www.cnet.com/news/the-audioph...rom-40-to-400/

If you're super tight on budget, the Audio Technica LP60 is pretty similar to the one Jason recommended, but it has fewer features and is cheaper.
11:31 PM on 08/11/14 
User Info.
Brokenhill
But we don't have to be afraid.
Tucson, Arizona
Male - 23 Years Old

Here's an earlier reply I made in the thread, hopefully it will help:

You have a couple different options for setups. With a traditional setup you would need 1. Speakers 2. Power amp (to drive speakers) 3. Turntable 4. Preamp (to increase the turntable's signal strength to a more reasonably audible level)
The turntable would be connected to the preamp input, and the preamp output would be connected to the power amp's input. Then you would have your bookshelf speakers connected to the power amp.

Alternative 1 - Self-powered speakers, where the power amplification is built into the speakers so you would just need to hook the turntable's preamp directly into the back of the speakers. This eliminates a separate amp and brings you down to 3 total components.

Alternative 2 - purchasing a power amp that has a preamp built into it. This way you dont need a separate preamp but you will still use standard loudspeakers for this. A lot of "vintage" equipment can easily be found at reasonable prices where the power amp has an input specifically for turntables with the preamp inline, as just mentioned.

Another setup would be by using your existing computer setup with a USB turntable. That way if you already have desktop speakers you can just listen through those.

But since that turntable you mentioned does have a preamp, that would not be a need within your other components, and so you would just hook your TT up to any of the standard RCA inputs.

And on that speakers list that saddr told you about, I have those Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s they mention and can certainly vouch for them (using them right now :) ), but they might be out of your price range. I've heard good things about AudioEngine though, and they are quite a bit cheaper.
04:07 PM on 08/16/14 
User Info.
SeeTheLights
Bangor, ME
Male - 21 Years Old

Something affordable, under $100. I know there probably isn't much under that.
04:08 PM on 08/16/14 
User Info.
SeeTheLights
Bangor, ME
Male - 21 Years Old
And I don't know if this is possible, but something also that can hook up to my TV too?
06:59 PM on 08/16/14 
User Info.
saddr weirdr
We're all alone. grab a hold.
Southern California
Female
Looking to upgrade my speakers, all I have right now is 2 old bookshelf speakers. Any suggestions?

Honestly, if your budget is under $100, I think you're better off just keeping the ones you have and waiting to upgrade when you have upwards of $200 unless your speakers are really realllly bad.

These are the only pair I know of that are around the $100 mark: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B008NCD2LG/absolutepunk-20/

I could have sworn Audioengine had a $99 model last year but maybe they discontinued it.

edit: as for the TV, I think that depends on the receiver you have. you probably will be able to hook it up.
07:46 PM on 08/16/14 
User Info.
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
Anaheim,California
Male - 20 Years Old
Finally got around to getting this. It works great. Thanks for the rec.
07:49 PM on 08/16/14 
User Info.
troubledbyinsects
~
westfield, ma
Male - 20 Years Old
No problem. I've purchased a few boxes from them and they're perfect.
06:16 AM on 08/17/14 
User Info.
bradsonemanband
I make music.
Provo, UT
Male - 28 Years Old

No problem. I've purchased a few boxes from them and they're perfect.

i don't know if the Walmarts by you guys have them, but over here they have small versions of the standard plastic milk crate. it fits 7" records perfect and they're only a dollar each. you should look for them.
01:31 PM on 08/17/14 
User Info.
Brokenhill
Tucson, Arizona
Male - 23 Years Old
And I don't know if this is possible, but something also that can hook up to my TV too?

I don't have any experience with these, but these are the only self powered monitors I can think of that are under $100. I guess you'd just have to read the reviews and decide for yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studio...s=m+audio+av40
10:27 PM on 08/17/14 
User Info.
MarkJ801
Salt Lake City, UT
Male - 26 Years Old
I know almost nothing about record players. But if one has external connections to be plugged into a receiver, what makes one better than the other?
11:30 PM on 08/17/14 
User Info.
Brokenhill
Tucson, Arizona
Male - 23 Years Old
I know almost nothing about record players. But if one has external connections to be plugged into a receiver, what makes one better than the other?

Records are cut to be played at specific speeds (usually 45 rpm or 33 1/3 rpm), so one factor is time-based errors. The belt drive system or direct drive system in the turntable needs to set a consistent accurate speed or else you will get skewed frequency response (so pitches can vary slightly up and down).

The cartridge (which holds the needle) is what runs inside of the groove of the vinyl and converts a mechanical pattern into an electrical signal via a magnetic system. This is attached to what is called the tone-arm--it is important for the needle to sit in the middle of the groove at a perpendicular angle (not pulling to one side or the other) and to be resting at the bottom of the groove with adequate pressure. If a cartridge isn't properly aligned and your tone arm is not set appropriately, this will also create a musical signal that is slightly off of what was intended by the cut of the vinyl. So, a quality cartridge and a well made + properly set tone-arm will help mitigate problems.

Also, vibrations from the turntable itself (particularly in direct-drive TTs) or from surrounding objects or even sound waves can affect the TTs performance subtly, as it can contribute to time-based errors and misalignment of the needle.
01:25 PM on 09/01/14 
User Info.
Jake Jenkins
https://twitter.com/jakej654
St. Louis, MO
Male - 22 Years Old
Staff Member
http://instagram.com/p/sW_HQtKb6y/

01:44 PM on 09/01/14 
User Info.
iamalexenglish
PEW PEW PEW
Pennsylvania
Male - 17 Years Old
Very cool
03:47 PM on 09/01/14 
User Info.
mka12992
Is this darkness in you too?
SC
Trans* - 21 Years Old
The CD vs. vinyl debate is so lame to me, but I can't lie, I love this quote if only because I find some humor in it.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos