1. How did you get your band name? We imagined Susan Sontag fighting in Feudal Japan. Sontag Shogun was born.
1. How did you get your band name? This was Jeremy, Ian and I's musical hideaway from our defunct project: [the] slowest runner [in all the world]. It was our effort to get away from a full band sound with strict notes and parts and a chance to sit down and experiment. It became our musical vacation.
3. What bands are you influenced by? We're pretty influenced by everyone and no one. But if we had to pick a few I'd say: Eluvium, A Winged Victory of the Sullen, Nils Frahm, Lionel Ritchie, Christian Fennesz, Sparklehorse, Ryuichi Sakamoto & Alva Noto
3. What bands are you influenced by? We'd tour with a thirteenth century minstrel. You know they got into some crazy post-show antics. We'd also probably have had our tongues removed at some point for pissing off a minor lord.
5. Best food to eat on tour? Meat and Doritos.
6. Why should people listen to your band? Our music resurrects the ghosts of yr nostalgia. And it's piano-driven! Who doesn't like piano?
7. If you could be any athlete, which athlete would you switch places with? Bo Jackson. He's so versatile.
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank? Bo Jackson.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be? We'd remove all traces of Neil Diamond.
10. Memorable tour experience? Kassel, Germany. Every time.
11. What does AP.net mean to you? Absolute Punk. Well the website seems like a liberal hub of music lovers and appreciators to share their honest and constructive opinions with the seething masses. But as a concept: anything that acts out of sheer fuck-all.
12. What is your favorite song to play? Personally, I love "Musk Ox Let The Flies In" because I get to belt and walk around the room. I'm into that.
13. What is your vacation spot of choice? Bald Head Island, NC. Or our minds.
14. What music reminds you of your childhood? LEGOS.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why? Healing factor. Physical risks are the best kind and we never want to reap what we sew.
16. Any pre-show superstitions or rituals? Whiskey
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you? We are weird as shit. And we know way more than you do about Shaquille O'Neal.
18. What is your assessment of the current state of radio? Do you think it's a place where your band could flourish? I'd hope so! We aren't pop so we don't belong on a lot of radio stations but we hope that we appeal to a niche radio market. But we're also worried that we'll lull people to sleep at the wheel of a car and send them careening through a guardrail and sailing off a cliff.
19. What do you like to do in your spare time? Doritos-eating contests.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have? We can all recite most of the dialogue of Purple Rain, the movie.