AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 100
08:00 AM on 04/23/14
J.Dick
User Info.
I would have given this about a 7 or 7.5. I think it's a huge letdown from OTIP, which is a damn near flawless record. It's that that it's a bad record by any means, it's just remarkably unremarkable and the band loses all of the dynamic and emotional qualities that make them so much better than they are on this album. Straight, safe, boring. They're still good songs and I'd still rather listen to The Menzingers than most bands, but this album is such a step backwards for them. Maybe Tom doesn't want to compare albums to each other, but that's what happens, and even if I grade this album on individual merit it still comes off as nothing less than a colossal disappointment. At the end of the day, when I put on OTIP after listening to Rented World, I realize that there isn't a single song on this album that tops ANY song on the album before, and many on the one before that. I hope this is a post-hype slip and not a career trend.
7 or 7.5 is a bad record? There are good songs but its a bad album? On The Impossible Past was great but it does have Ava House which isn't very good and Chamberlain Waits is still their best record but all their records are at least very good if not great.
08:13 AM on 04/23/14
TheUpside
It All Feels Like an Ending
User Info.
I was hoping Tom's songs would be stronger on this one. Burn After Writing and Sculptors and Vandals are my two favorites from OTIP.
08:15 AM on 04/23/14
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.
Really was surprised at how much I liked this in its own right given how much I adored and still adore OTIP (and have gone back to adore Chamberlain). Need some more listens but it really holds up in its own right.

Also I will never personally get the hate for Ava House, I see why people don't like it but fuck I love it haha.
08:29 AM on 04/23/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
9/10….maybe 7/10
08:40 AM on 04/23/14
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
I've only listened to it once but I'm not really feeling it, idk
08:44 AM on 04/23/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
what
08:46 AM on 04/23/14
ViTOP
http://twitter.com/VitoPagano
User Info.
Great Record that stands out all on its own.

Nothing will beat OTIP as one of my favorite records of the last 5 years.
I'm so happy they were able to follow up with such a solid record.

Great review and I couldn't agree more with the closing statement..
"The Menzingers are the best active punk band that we have right now."
08:47 AM on 04/23/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
I've only listened to it once but I'm not really feeling it, idk
yeah...yr gonna have to listen more than once. if i reviewed this after one listen it would have been a negative review. the expectations you have weigh too much on your first go-through.
08:48 AM on 04/23/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Thought it was great on my first listen but maybe I'm just good at music
08:58 AM on 04/23/14
luckisoverrated
So is breakfast food.
User Info.
It's a great album. Surprising and different and varied. The second it shut off, I just took a deep breath and I knew I was going to love this album for the rest of my life.
Just like with On the Impossible Past. Just like with a lot of albums.
There are too many album highlights to even mention...10/12 songs to me are album highlights. But if I had to pick a favorite...probably My Friend Kyle, Nothing Feels Good Anymore, or In Remission.
And I have to agree, Thomas, that Hearts Unknown and In Remission are the most Impossible Past-ish tracks.
Great review, as always.
09:02 AM on 04/23/14
therookielot
the shape of punk just came
User Info.
"The Menzingers are the best active punk band that we have right now."

I was thinking this exact thing the other day. I agree with all parts of the review.
09:32 AM on 04/23/14
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Thought it was great on my first listen but maybe I'm just good at music
rt
09:33 AM on 04/23/14
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
7 or 7.5 is a bad record? There are good songs but its a bad album? On The Impossible Past was great but it does have Ava House which isn't very good and Chamberlain Waits is still their best record but all their records are at least very good if not great.
Sorry, that's a typo. Should have been it's NOT that it's a bad record by any means.
09:42 AM on 04/23/14
KidLightning
Esquire
User Info.
Great review, and great album. I completely disagreed with your Transit review (their best work, IMO) but I think you nailed it here.

Except that From Here to Infirmary is garbage.
09:51 AM on 04/23/14
FTank
I hate Golden Tate
User Info.
Shit, Young New England is horrendous.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT