Password

Album Review

Miss May I - Rise Of The Lion Album Cover

Miss May I - Rise Of The Lion

Reviewed by
Miss May I - Rise Of The Lion
Release Date: April 29th, 2014
Record Label: Rise
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
At Heart was the album that changed everything for Miss May I - it allowed them to headline smaller tours such as the 2012 AP Tour and support larger radio rock acts such as Five Finger Death Punch. Most of all, they gained a significant amount of new listeners and forced people to pay attention, myself included. Granted, the band had success with past songs such as "Relentless Chaos" and "Gears", but At Heart was the first record in the band's discography that was solid from front to back. In fact, it was so solid that a mediocre offering may be a blow that the band cannot recover from. Armed with producer Terry Date (Pantera, Deftones) this time around, is Rise Of The Lion the album that further propels the band into the upper echelon of the genre, or is it the album that slams the door shut for good?

When I recently spoke with lead vocalist Levi Benton, he mentioned that this record wasn't written about their own struggles, but various struggles their fan base dealt with, as revealed by letters to the band. Often times, this album can get particularly dark - tracks such as "Lunatik" deal with the idea of wondering if you're crazy while you're in the midst of personal struggles, "Echoes" deals with losing someone close to you, and "Tangled Tongues" deals with being stuck in the middle of a divorce. "Hero With No Name" is an ode to the military, who "put everything on the line to fight for what they believe in", according to Benton.

I'd love to see guitar solos be more commonplace in the metalcore genre, it's something I feel the genre is really missing. Luckily, we're treated to a few in songs such as "You Want Me" and "Darker Days". Jerod Boyd is an incredibly talented drummer (and really fun to watch live), and it's his frenetic pace that really allow tracks such as "You Want Me" and "Saints, Sinners, and Greats" to be as hard-hitting as they are. One of the largest complaints to some of the previously released tracks ("Gone", "Echoes") was Levi Benton's vocals, as some fans felt as if he regressed. I couldn't disagree more, as I believe Benton's gritty vocals sound just as powerful as they have in the past. Also, Ryan Neff's clean vocals have gotten exponentially better, and compliment Benton's rough vocals well.

At the end of the day, Rise of The Lion was the record that Miss May I needed to make in order to continue as a band, and I couldn't be happier for them. They've come a long way since making my ears bleed with their atrocious "Swing" cover, and I look forward to seeing where this record takes them. I highly recommend picking up this album and catching them on this summer's Mayhem Festival.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
06:38 AM on 04/28/14
_><_
Registered Member
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This is probably the worst sounding metalcore record i've ever heard. The production, mix and master are absolutely atrocious. The engineering isn't all that great either, the guitars are out of tune throughout the record. On top of that both vocalist should stay away from the mics, they're both terrible.

I guess this record goes to show that modern(!!!) metalcore just does not work with "raw" production.
For a record with a budget near 6 figures this sounds atrocious, there is absolutely no excuse for this to be that shittily produced.

Oh, and the songs are shitty as always. I just took a listen to this to hear what Date did with these guys. I guess he killed their career. Risecore fans hate everything that isn't mixed super clean and for the affliction clothing wearing douches they're trying to cater to with this record it is just too boring.
07:10 AM on 04/28/14
jenovaproject
User Info.
They're becoming increasingly dumbed down.
07:26 AM on 04/28/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
album is laughable….it's so bad
07:52 AM on 04/28/14
jrockisthebest
jrock is my nickname
User Info.
08:08 AM on 04/28/14
DangerousDarrin
User Info.
Pretty surprised this got an 85. I was very disappointed. I can't get passed the screamers terrible voice.
08:30 AM on 04/28/14
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
If the album is anything like this mediocre review, I want no part of it.
08:57 AM on 04/28/14
superBMRuth
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
User Info.
09:18 AM on 04/28/14
jrockisthebest
jrock is my nickname
User Info.
If the album is anything like this mediocre review, I want no part of it.
you don't
10:43 AM on 04/28/14
SmileWithASmirk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
There's a little African child in this album.
10:50 AM on 04/28/14
Quijiba
User Info.
Pretty surprised this got an 85. I was very disappointed. I can't get passed the screamers terrible voice.
same. I dislike this record, which is saying something cause their last ones were fine
10:53 AM on 04/28/14
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
I like the way Levi's vocals are now, but Ryan's have gotten pretty bad. This shouldn't be higher than a 7/10.
11:21 AM on 04/28/14
Jake Denning
User Info.
This is probably the worst sounding metalcore record i've ever heard. The production, mix and master are absolutely atrocious. The engineering isn't all that great either, the guitars are out of tune throughout the record. On top of that both vocalist should stay away from the mics, they're both terrible.

I guess this record goes to show that modern(!!!) metalcore just does not work with "raw" production.
For a record with a budget near 6 figures this sounds atrocious, there is absolutely no excuse for this to be that shittily produced.

Oh, and the songs are shitty as always. I just took a listen to this to hear what Date did with these guys. I guess he killed their career. Risecore fans hate everything that isn't mixed super clean and for the affliction clothing wearing douches they're trying to cater to with this record it is just too boring.
Really? I love the mix. To each their own I guess.

Thanks for dropping by though, appreciate it.
12:30 PM on 04/28/14
mbarney82
User Info.
I like the way Levi's vocals are now, but Ryan's have gotten pretty bad. This shouldn't be higher than a 7/10.
That's being generous too. But everything thing that needed to be said has already been said.
01:22 PM on 04/28/14
rushour144
User Info.
you win in this thread

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News