Password

Album Review

Artifex Pereo - Time In Place Album Cover

Artifex Pereo - Time In Place

Reviewed by
Artifex Pereo - Time in Place
Release Date: May 27, 2014
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The process of change can be a hasty or meticulous one. The kicker is that time is almost certainly a double edged sword, in all fields of entertainment, and, as readers of this site can attest to, especially in music. Unless you have a clear trajectory and a definitive sense of direction, you're doomed to irrelevancy or worse, failure by wrong decisions. Unfortunately, this selective process does not concede, much less hesitate, in the face of genuine talent. So when Artifex Pereo released their first full length Ailments and Antidotes just shy of three years ago, only to shortly depart with their brilliant lead vocalist, there was a good chance that they could fall into the insatiable collection of acts whose full potential would never see the light of day. Ailments and Antidotes was a beacon, though not perfect, in becoming the antithesis of the tropes that have and continue to compromise post-hardcore (and tangent genres) releases. If time were in their favor, the opportunities would just present themselves for an exploratory and cleverly-crafted album that would work off of the successes of their debut with the inclusion of a wild card in the form of a new member. And exactly that happened. It's because of this collective talent's prolific use of time that the appropriately titled Time In Place is born. In this 13 track label debut, the evolution in songwriting and sheer creativity is overwhelmingly evident, stunning, and exponentially more than worth the wait.

The tone and scenery of Artifex Pereo as a whole is markedly brighter as "No Stranger To Worry" begins unfolding with its deep piano tones beating against ambient tapping melodies and rambunctious drum fills. Perhaps the best opener I have heard from the genre in a long, long time, the composition is brilliant and fluid. The track undergoes constant changes in perfect ways, never distancing itself to much from the established in the first verse but expounding to become the eclectic monster it is. "Annica" follows closely thereafter, flexible but never stretched to the point of uncomfortableness: there are no awkward transitional periods, no sour vocal melodies, nothing but strengths that reinforce the improved songwriting skills. "Hands of Penance," especially streamlines this as the most straightforward song on the album. Imagine Forgive Durden meets Tides of Man: you're given a pull towards subtle theatrics, guided through experimental melody.

And then there are moments of little-to-no song structure whatsoever. The beauty of that facet is that they are just as effective, if not better, than their structured counterparts. Songs like "Aperion” and “The Straight & The Winding Way” are unpredictable in their style, slowly deteriorating and dissolving from the established flow of their introductions. “Aperion” zones in and out of consciousness and lacks a chorus completely, yet still feels focused despite how sloppy an end product this method would likely yield. While “The Straight & The Winding Way” definitely has a tighter structure, the song is consistently transformative. Even still, it manages to bring out some of the best performances from each member, evolving incohesive jam sessions to what sounds like a post hardcore powerhouse. You hear it all, from Circa Survive to Lower Definition, The Receiving End of Sirens to Envy on the Coast, Emery to Emarosa. Time in Place plays out like a supergroup’s brainchild, and yet it manages to retain a sound that is uniquely all their own. Of course, there are minor moments of lack of direction, which is to be expected when an entire album lacks any singular formula. Yet these moments are rare and are usually countered with other sections of pure ingenuity (see the bridge in “Laugh & The World Laughs With You”). All in all, these traits fall in fair balance that still end up highlighting everything that Artifex Pereo excels in.

Time In Place is a truly satisfying release. It binds the traits that seem to have all but forgotten and rejects all of the conventions that are easily marketed and trends that are currently revered. Especially as a conceptual work, Time In Place departs with a resonance that reminds us of the impact of time in two senses. The first with how this construct uses or how it is used in a personal setting. We spend too much, we worry; we fail. We spend too little, we worry; we fail. We use the past as a course correcting defense mechanism. We use the future as a cumulative investment. And we miss it all by avoiding the present.

The second impact is the literal manifestation of Artifex Pereo’s diligence. Time in Place manages to tackle basic human emotions, subtle nuances that we all experience in day to day life, and translate them into such fascinating musical expressions. Challenging instrumentals are coupled with complex vocals, both categories never become stale, never fall out of symbiosis, and rarely falter. Their compositions are unorthodox, unpredictable, and at this time, unparalleled. And now with well deserved label support, Artifex Pereo are set to continue on this current trajectory, their strongest to date. Their time was used in the best way possible, and it damn well shows.

9/10

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
05:29 PM on 05/06/14
Lacedwithshame
Fuck your learners permit!!!!!
User Info.
I liked Ailments and Antidotes, but it never really captured my whole attention.
I didn't even know they had an album coming out, but this review gets me really psyched for it. I'm a fan of all the bands that you compared them to, so I'm pretty excited to check this out. Also, the concept sounds really interesting.

Really well written and thanks for the read.
06:29 PM on 05/06/14
Steve Alcala
Let's play Smash. 1478-4468-2484
User Info.
I liked Ailments and Antidotes, but it never really captured my whole attention.
I didn't even know they had an album coming out, but this review gets me really psyched for it. I'm a fan of all the bands that you compared them to, so I'm pretty excited to check this out. Also, the concept sounds really interesting.

Really well written and thanks for the read.
Thanks <3

I definitely think this expounds on everything they got right with their debut LP but this is just on another level. As a whole, it's a lot more fun too. I wish you could hear the opening song.
06:40 PM on 05/06/14
Johnnydcp
User Info.
Will give this a listen. Great review.
07:59 PM on 05/06/14
Lacedwithshame
User Info.
Thanks <3

I definitely think this expounds on everything they got right with their debut LP but this is just on another level. As a whole, it's a lot more fun too. I wish you could hear the opening song.
Anytime. :)

It's not often that I hear you talk of an album this highly, so that definitely adds to my anticipation for this.
From the way that you described the opener, it seems like a killer track. After reading it, I was a little disappointed to see that it's released on the 27th.

Also, so this basically sounds like a progression from Ailments and Antidotes?

Edit: Do you know who will be reviewing the new Closure in Moscow? I would love to see one from you.
08:11 PM on 05/06/14
Steve Alcala
User Info.
Anytime. :)

It's not often that I hear you talk of an album this highly, so that definitely adds to my anticipation for this.
From the way that you described the opener, it seems like a killer track. After reading it, I was a little disappointed to see that it's released on the 27th.

Also, so this basically sounds like a progression from Ailments and Antidotes?

Edit: Do you know who will be reviewing the new Closure in Moscow? I would love to see one from you.

I'm not sure that I would use the word progression. Some hints of the album are definitely here but that's kinda where it ends. It's just so refined, it's crazy.

And I haven't seen anyone claim the new Closure in Moscow. I'd actually love to take a crack at it.
05:29 PM on 05/07/14
Quijiba
User Info.
I'm not sure that I would use the word progression. Some hints of the album are definitely here but that's kinda where it ends. It's just so refined, it's crazy.

And I haven't seen anyone claim the new Closure in Moscow. I'd actually love to take a crack at it.
I'd definitely like you to take a crack at that album. I have so many thoughts on it, I think your a good guy to go over it. Also looking forward to this now
06:32 PM on 05/07/14
SimplyMyself
I rip at the entrance in vain
User Info.
Great review Stephen. You made me even more excited for this.
11:01 AM on 05/08/14
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
This sounds like it's going to be awesome
09:04 PM on 05/24/14
Sanzen
Ricocheting
User Info.
I am absolutely obsessed with this album.

Likely to be my AOTY.
05:16 PM on 05/25/14
Sheluligans
Focus on the horizon.
User Info.
This is such an impressive album that's likely to be severely underrated. Such a great improvement on their last album too.
03:17 PM on 05/26/14
Lacedwithshame
User Info.

You certainly weren't lying about this one.
04:45 PM on 05/26/14
Steve Alcala
User Info.
You certainly weren't lying about this one.
Really happy that you're enjoying this!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version