AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AbsolutePlaylist: "Weezer: Deep In Your Heart"

Posted by - 09:02 AM on 05/12/14
To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Weezer's Blue Album, we've put together a pretty cool playlist featuring some of the band's "deep cuts." No singles allowed, and we tried to include at least one song from all of their full-length albums. There's also a group of music videos featuring some of the best songs Weezer have covered, and some videos of the best covers of Weezer songs. So come inside and let Rivers and the Gang remind you why they made us love them in the first place, and why we'll continue to love them even as we all grow old and gross. Also, in case you missed it last week, Drew wrote up a very interesting article about just what a mark the Blue Album left on all of us music lovers.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 56
09:03 AM on 05/12/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
AbsolutePlaylist: "Weezer: Deep In Your Heart"

Click here to listen on Spotify!

Direct Rdio link

1. Weezer - "Put Me Back Together" (from Raditude)
2. Weezer - "Jamie (DGC Rarities Version)" (from DGC Rarities Vol 1)
3. Weezer - "I Don't Want Your Loving" (from Death To False Metal)
4. Weezer - "Velouria" (from Where Is My Mind: A Tribute To The Pixies)
5. Weezer - "Knockdown Dragout" (from Weezer (Green Album))
6. Weezer - "Viva La Vida" (from Hurley (Deluxe Edition))
7. Weezer - "All My Friends Are Insects (from Yo Gabba Gabba Music Is Awesome Volume 2)
8. Weezer - "Ruling Me" (from Hurley (Deluxe Version))
9. Weezer - "Long Time Sunshine" (from Pinkerton - Deluxe Edition)
10. Weezer - "Burndt Jamb" (from Maladroit)
11. Weezer - "I Just Threw Out The Love Of My Dreams" (from Pinkerton - Deluxe Edition)
12. Weezer - "Trampoline" (from Death To False Metal)
13. Weezer - "Crab" (from Weezer (Green Album))
14. Weezer - "Cold Dark World" (from Weezer (Red Album))
15. Weezer - "Pardon Me" (from Make Believe)
16. Weezer - "Slave" (from Maladroit)
17. Weezer - "Pig" (from Weezer (Red Album))
18.) Weezer - "Hang On" (from Hurley (Deluxe Edition))

Deep In Your HeartI wish I could say that I have been a forever Weezer fan. I wish I could say that the 20th anniversary of the release of The Blue Album is my 20th anniversary finding hooks and solace in the voice of Rivers Cuomo. But I can't, and that's ok. It's important to think about the time you're going to have, not the time you've missed out on. So what a true delight it was as a new-ish fan of Weezer, but also as a sort-of Weezer historian to create this playlist. Few bands of our modern era have as many songs, as many albums and as many fans who disagree on what a band's "important" works are. Well, outside of the singles at least. Weezer have some of the most celebrated pop-rock singles of the last 30 years, we all know that. So the point of this playlist is to highlight the so-called "deep tracks." We're searching for the rarities, for some of the mid-album all-but-forgotten songs and some songs so catchy they could have maybe kept rock radio from imploding in on itself.

Here are the songs that I think are absolutely crucial when it comes to describing why Weezer has had such a hold on rock 'n roll for so long. I said a few years ago that there are very few former Weezer fans, and these songs are the reasons why. Once you get past the surface level that the band is so annoyingly known for, there are more than enough buried cuts to enforce the mythology of Weezer. They are a band that have lasted longer than anyone expected, both in their importance and by actually staying a band. And when the inevitable time does come that Weezer stop being Weezer, the one thing we can truly know is that they have made enough noise to last us for decades to come.
09:05 AM on 05/12/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Weezer Covering Various Artists

Weezer - "Kids" (MGMT Cover)

Weezer - "Paranoid Android" (Radiohead Cover)

Weezer - "Time" (Pink Floyd Cover)

Weezer - "Life's What You Make It" (Talk Talk Cover)

Weezer - "Song 2" (Blur Cover)

Various Artists Covering Weezer

Foster The People - "Say It Ain't So"

Dashboard Confessional - "El Scorcho"

Mac DeMarco - "Undone (The Sweater Song)"

Hanson - "Troublemaker"

Julia Nunes - "Keep Fishin'"
09:06 AM on 05/12/14
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
I just wanna say that I've been loving the playlists lately. This rules.
09:10 AM on 05/12/14
slimfenix182
Registered Member
User Info.
Wasn't crazy about the songs that the other guys sang on Red Album except I absolutely love "King".
09:10 AM on 05/12/14
Vance Mook
Fastest Kid in School
User Info.
Cool playist and very happy to see some Weezer love on the site. Their albums were some of the first in my collection, and while I don't find much after Make Believe redeemable, I'll always revisit those first 4 records as staples of my collection and be happy to check out new Weezer.
09:12 AM on 05/12/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
look forward to all of the arguing in here as to what i left off!!
09:20 AM on 05/12/14
cowlord
( \_(ツ)_/)
User Info.
Some great picks on there. This band's newer material gets more hate than it should, there are solid songs on every release (except maybe Raditude...)
09:25 AM on 05/12/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
Some great picks on there. This band's newer material gets more hate than it should, there are solid songs on every release (except maybe Raditude...)
"put me back together," from Raditude, is my favorite "new" song of theirs by far. it's track 1 on here haha of course
09:30 AM on 05/12/14
iamthealex
Meet me in Montauk.
User Info.
The Damage In Your Heart is the best song on Make Believe.
09:34 AM on 05/12/14
brookssurrender
User Info.
"put me back together," from Raditude, is my favorite "new" song of theirs by far. it's track 1 on here haha of course
For some reason I remember them doing a song for a car company or something that was actually pretty awesome too. Might not have been a car but it was some kind of extended commercial type thing and I remember thinking it was better than a lot of the stuff on their newer albums.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I haven't been able to find it recently.
09:35 AM on 05/12/14
thebestkylever
girls like status.
User Info.
can't think of many bands that have more overlooked gems from the past than weezer. hope you don't mind me dropping some goat punishment on all y'all.

09:40 AM on 05/12/14
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
can't think of many bands that have more overlooked gems from the past than weezer. hope you don't mind me dropping some goat punishment on all y'all.

absolutely agree.

drop away!
10:04 AM on 05/12/14
duritzfan13
Order inspires disorder
User Info.

I think Raditude has some pretty good tracks. "Trippin Down the Freeway," "Put Me Back Together," "I Don't Wanna Let You Go," "I'm Your Daddy" are all solid IMO just to name a few.
10:14 AM on 05/12/14
cubsml34
A Class 3 KILLSTORM
User Info.

Never had really listened to this song even though I really enjoyed the Blue Album. The cynicism and selfishness juxtaposed with real emptiness is textbook 90's River lyrics

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos