Password

Album Review
Thirty Seconds to Mars - Love Lust Faith + Dreams Album Cover

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Love Lust Faith + Dreams

Reviewed by
Thirty Seconds to Mars - Love Lust Faith + Dreams
Record Label: Virgin Records
Release Date: May 21, 2013
Coming off a grand album like This Is War is difficult. Thirty Seconds to Mars put their newfound arena filling status to good use by creating an album with monstrous choruses, anthems, and hooks that brought stadiums to their feet. It’s a shame that the trio’s fourth full-length album Love Lust Faith + Dreams is not nearly as huge as their previous work and ultimately suffers because of it.

The album starts off well enough. “Birth” is a decent opener that does its job of building anticipation well and listeners may be swooned into thinking that the album is everything they had hoped for. Both “Conquistador” and “Up In The Air” sort of fulfill this desire with catchy choruses and fun beats, but neither reach anywhere near the heights of “Kings and Queens” or “Night of the Hunter”.

That is the main problem with Love Lust Faith + Dreams; it’s all too damn soft. Whether it’s the boring “Bright Lights”, the pointless “Convergence”, or the overly dramatic and anti-climatic “Depuis Le Debut” there isn’t much here that gets me engaged in what I’m listening to. Thankfully, Jared Leto proves that he remains a very competent singer as his vocals continue to be one of the highlights and a beacon of hope for this album. Songs like the ballad “City of Angels” and catchy “Do or Die” showcase him as a force in the music scene.

Thirty Seconds to Mars have fallen a bit with Love Lust Faith + Dreams. Jared continues to be a vocal powerhouse and some songs are admittedly catchy (“Up In the Air”, “Do Or Die”) while others almost reaches the massive scale of This Is War (“Conquistador”). Unfortunately, too much falls flat and under the pristine production is an album with not enough substance to make it worth a purchase.

Recommended If You LikeHurts, Placebo, Linkin Park, Imagine Dragons, My Chemical Romance

Track Listing1. Birth
2. Conquistador
3. Up In the Air
4. City of Angels
5. The Race
6. End of All Days
7. Pyres of Varanasi
8. Bright Lights
9. Do or Die
10. Convergence
11. Northern Lights
12 Depuis Le Debut

Official Website
Facebook
Twitter
This review is a user submitted review from Niko John. You can see all of Niko John's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
06:55 AM on 05/22/14
Ferrari333SP
User Info.
I loved "This Is War", but I gave this album two listens and then discarded it. Just nothing here to hold on to, that is appealing. Like they almost decided to ditch the guitars and focus solely on electronics. Ugh.
08:36 PM on 05/26/14
dirty sanchez
Something's gone terribly wrong
User Info.
Good review!

Yep, it was a massive letdown after This Is War.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos