Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 6 posts
03:57 PM on 05/23/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
It's awful. The site is normally fantastically written and covers great content but like...nah. Don't do this. It's bad. You'd be better off going to the p4k jet review route than this.
The sanctuary review Mumford route, if you will
05:54 PM on 05/23/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
The negative review topic sounds really interesting. It always bugs me when reviewers clearly go into an album with bias and the write - up is just an attempt to slam the artist rather than critique the art.
Every review is written with bias. Every single one
08:36 PM on 05/23/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Well yeah, but isn't the point to try and hide that bias and review whatever is you're writing about with as much objectivity as possible? I know that almost never happens, but in a perfect world...

I guess I should correct myself and clarify that I meant in circumstances where the writer seems to be writing about a group they have little interest in or downright can't stand.
"Trying to write objectively" is futile and will never happen when it comes to criticism of music. It's about presenting your opinions and backing them up with examples. I don't think anyone would deny that reviews are just opinions, so why try being objective about it?
09:38 PM on 05/23/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
i agree with this, but i definitely think that an effort to be objective is important. at least in terms of being open minded and recognizing when things are being done well even if it's not your cup of tea, etc.
I don't know if that's what I would call being objective, but I know what you mean. Giving credit where credit is due
05:04 PM on 05/24/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
The Pitchfork Coldplay review is perfect
06:10 PM on 05/25/14
Jake Jenkins
jakej654.bandcamp.com
User Info.
agreed - I think I mentioned that I liked it on the podcast - I cannot remember.
Yeah you did, that's what made me think of it - real good example of a super negative review that's still fair

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos