User Info.
Very very interesting topic

Also whenever Thomas talks there's such an echo
09:28 PM on 05/23/14
stonecoldfox
You can't afford to live like this
User Info.
Every review is written with bias. Every single one

Well yeah, but isn't the point to try and hide that bias and review whatever is you're writing about with as much objectivity as possible? I know that almost never happens, but in a perfect world...

I guess I should correct myself and clarify that I meant in circumstances where the writer seems to be writing about a group they have little interest in or downright can't stand.
09:36 PM on 05/23/14
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
Well yeah, but isn't the point to try and hide that bias and review whatever is you're writing about with as much objectivity as possible? I know that almost never happens, but in a perfect world...

I guess I should correct myself and clarify that I meant in circumstances where the writer seems to be writing about a group they have little interest in or downright can't stand.
"Trying to write objectively" is futile and will never happen when it comes to criticism of music. It's about presenting your opinions and backing them up with examples. I don't think anyone would deny that reviews are just opinions, so why try being objective about it?
09:50 PM on 05/23/14
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
"Trying to write objectively" is futile and will never happen when it comes to criticism of music. It's about presenting your opinions and backing them up with examples. I don't think anyone would deny that reviews are just opinions, so why try being objective about it?
Amen.
10:05 PM on 05/23/14
stonecoldfox
You can't afford to live like this
User Info.

Fair enough, we'll just pretend I never said anything.
10:05 PM on 05/23/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Very very interesting topic

Also whenever Thomas talks there's such an echo
working on it. gonna get a better mic
10:08 PM on 05/23/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
i agree with this, but i definitely think that an effort to be objective is important. at least in terms of being open minded and recognizing when things are being done well even if it's not your cup of tea, etc.
10:16 PM on 05/23/14
huludfan82
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Couple things:

when it comes to reviews I want to read them from you guys regardless of whether or not they're positive or negative. Should they be done in a respectful way? Yeah. But, I still want to hear them. getting multiple perspectives on an album is really important to me before diving into it head first. Whether or not its a review from AP, POZ, or The Needle Drop, I like hear what people have to say, I won't always agree but its music and we aren't suppose to.

Skate and Surf was a blast, I don't get what people were talking about at all with the hostility between Midtown members, I didn't get that feeling at all. As for changing it to 1 day I don't think they necessarily had to do that but it would have been nice if they flushed out the undercard a bit somehow. It was cool seeing Jersey locals like The Scandals, Brick and Mortar. But a band like Citizen I feel was a weird fit only because there was nobody else like them and they aren't necessarily a huge draw with the crowds the show brought out. it would have been really cool to see them focus on more of the topshelf/no sleep/run for cover/ pure noise bands (Front Porch Step was great) over the Break Contest bands, but I don't book shows so I don't know how difficult that would have been

I'm very new to the vinyl world. What I will say is I buy them more as display pieces than to actually listen to (I know, shame on me) with that said I'm okay with having multiple copies of an album with multiple colors from multiple pressings. I do agree that my first priority with that is making sure that the bands are the ones to end up with my money and worry about other, separate pressings later

Great listen as always.
10:34 PM on 05/23/14
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
As much as I enjoy the episodes talking with band members, I honestly love the ones where it's just you guys talking much more. It feels much more natural and honest, and it allows you guys to go more in-depth about a variety of interesting topics.
That being said, this was probably my favorite episode to date. Keep up the awesome work, fellas.
10:38 PM on 05/23/14
Jake Jenkins
dont talk to me
User Info.
i agree with this, but i definitely think that an effort to be objective is important. at least in terms of being open minded and recognizing when things are being done well even if it's not your cup of tea, etc.
I don't know if that's what I would call being objective, but I know what you mean. Giving credit where credit is due
11:39 PM on 05/23/14
FTank
I hate Golden Tate
User Info.
As much as I enjoy the episodes talking with band members, I honestly love the ones where it's just you guys talking much more. It feels much more natural and honest, and it allows you guys to go more in-depth about a variety of interesting topics.
That being said, this was probably my favorite episode to date. Keep up the awesome work, fellas.
Second this
01:11 AM on 05/24/14
FTank
I hate Golden Tate
User Info.
Hearing the name Bartók on an AP.net podcast definitely got my attention, haha.
07:08 AM on 05/24/14
snu
I like to watch the NBA
User Info.
Good topics on this podcast. Jason at some point I'd be interested to hear you discuss AbsoluteVoices and how you think it has been going overall. Any chance you'd ever make it a small portion of a podcast?
08:37 AM on 05/24/14
perceptrons
[ ]
User Info.
Also this episode and our podcast in general should now also be available in the XBox Music Store. I'm not sure exactly how that works -- but was told we're good to go by Microsoft -- so if anyone has an XBox or Windows Phone 8 -- you should be able to find it now. If you can't please let me know.
FYI: The podcasts app on WP8.1 lists you, but says it can't open it.
08:58 AM on 05/24/14
Stephin_DC
Registered Member
User Info.
Ignoring the obvious production flaws (ears sort of get use to it after awhile), I love that Transit record.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos