AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Kevin Devine News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

The Kevin Devine App

Posted by - 10:30 AM on 05/29/14
Kevin Devine has a new app where you can get some acoustic demos from Bubblegum/Bulldozer and get a yearly subscription for exclusive content.

Submitted by jordalsh

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
10:54 AM on 05/29/14
Timekeeper
Writer
User Info.
I'm curious what the numbers for 'success' are with these app subscriptions. It's a cool idea but I wonder how feasible (and profitable) they are.
11:35 AM on 05/29/14
ACA
Kevin Devine @ NYC 11/3
User Info.
I love Kevin Devine, and I obsessively hunt down pretty much anything he's recorded, but I'm too anal about my music collection to get involved with this in any way. The songs will leak, I'll be able to add them my fine-tuned library, and the world will keep spinning.

The man got a good amount of my money this weekend at the merch table (opening for Balance and Composure) anyway, and I always pick up tickets for every show when he's in town.. so that's where I stand on that.

I'm sure plenty of people will buy this though.
11:45 AM on 05/29/14
TheDemosRock
What's a fuckass?
User Info.
I love Kevin Devine, and I obsessively hunt down pretty much anything he's recorded, but I'm too anal about my music collection to get involved with this in any way. The songs will leak, I'll be able to add them my fine-tuned library, and the world will keep spinning.

The man got a good amount of my money this weekend at the merch table (opening for Balance and Composure) anyway, and I always pick up tickets for every show when he's in town.. so that's where I stand on that.

I'm sure plenty of people will buy this though.
I'm with you on this one. I don't know enough about the company or the app itself to throw money at it.
11:53 AM on 05/29/14
ACA
Kevin Devine @ NYC 11/3
User Info.
I'm with you on this one. I don't know enough about the company or the app itself to throw money at it.

There's no screenshots, either..

If it was Kevin Devine's 100% complete discography (streamable and saveable like Spotify), neatly sorted, with lyrics and such.. I would definitely be interested. He is a favorite artist, so I would definitely spend the money on that for him. There are a few other artists that come to mind where I would also pay for such an app.

There's just no way that's what this is.
02:14 PM on 05/29/14
MattRM
She didn't turn out to be that cool
User Info.
Barely have enough room on my phone for apps that I actually use on a regular basis - I really hope bands don't start creating their own individual apps and making them the only places to get exclusive content.
02:25 PM on 05/29/14
Jaytothesyg
The Greatest Generation
User Info.
Downloaded the App but didn't realize you had to pay for everything

Love KDev and the idea though!
04:51 PM on 05/29/14
tm decomposer
KEMBA WALKER 4 PREZ!!
User Info.
What a dumb idea
05:14 PM on 05/29/14
airik625
-
User Info.
Neat idea I suppose. But no chance I'll be downloading/paying for demos.

Besides, I'm guessing most of those demos were released on Driving Baby Lips.
10:38 AM on 05/30/14
Fool
User Info.
What's the advantage over doing an app and just releasing the stuff for people who want it?
03:31 PM on 06/02/14
KilledByAnAngel
http://burntblue.blogspot.com
User Info.
Neat idea I suppose. But no chance I'll be downloading/paying for demos.

Besides, I'm guessing most of those demos were released on Driving Baby Lips.

Seems like these demos are just for Bubblegum and Bulldozer (like a demo for each song). Driving Baby Lips was really all over the place as far as source albums.

For anyone that's done the subscription for this, are you able to download the demos to your phone/PC? And how do you eventually cancel your yearly subscription?

EDIT: I paid for the yearly subscription. For the love of flying spaghetti monster, stay the hell away from the premium portion of this app for now. It crashes all the time. You can't download the music and it tries to stream from Soundcloud, which doesn't work most of the time. Awesome artist, terrible app.
09:38 AM on 06/09/14
letdownagain
All my love to long ago.
User Info.
Seems like these demos are just for Bubblegum and Bulldozer (like a demo for each song). Driving Baby Lips was really all over the place as far as source albums.

For anyone that's done the subscription for this, are you able to download the demos to your phone/PC? And how do you eventually cancel your yearly subscription?

EDIT: I paid for the yearly subscription. For the love of flying spaghetti monster, stay the hell away from the premium portion of this app for now. It crashes all the time. You can't download the music and it tries to stream from Soundcloud, which doesn't work most of the time. Awesome artist, terrible app.

Thanks for reporting back on the app. I love Kevin and Bubblegum is my AOTY so I really want to hear those demos. I just can't justify $20 on a app right now though if there's gonna be no download option and I'm streaming at 128 kbps. I'm hesitant about paying for music that's transient and I can only listen to in app.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos