AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

AP.net Podcast: Thanks Random Internet Guy (Episode 35)

Posted by - 05:53 PM on 05/29/14
Thomas promises this is the last week his microphone will have an echo and I promise this is one of my favorite episodes of the AbsolutePunk Podcast yet. This week we talk about the Apple and Beats deal finalizing and how that plays into curated playlists vs full album listening habits. Then we touch on major labels and their structure and place in the industry before tackling the upcoming Aaron West and the Roaring Twenties album. We round out the conversation discussing if Blink-182 should just go on hiatus again, what other musical artists could maybe be billionaires someday, why Ronnie Radke is a moron, and why each of us choose to post something as news or to ignore it. The episode can be streamed and/or downloaded below.

Want to make sure you never miss an episode? You can subscribe to this podcast in iTunes, via your own RSS feed reader, on SoundCloud, or on Stitcher. You can also find all of our previous episodes archived on our podcast page, iTunes and SoundCloud.

Sponsor:

Amazon.com: No official sponsor this week -- but if you buy something on Amazon using our affiliate link we'll get a little percentage and that would be awesome. If we can make a little extra we'll use the funds to buy Thomas and Drew new microphones.

Hosts:
Show Notes:
Corrections:

From Jason: Blink-182's cover of "Dancing with Myself" was actually on Vagrant Records' Before You Were Punk compilation -- not Another Year on The Streets. I also called it "Highway 65 Revisited" for some reason and what I meant was "Highway 61 Revisited." Oh, and you can definitely hear my cat start meowing in the background a few times. Because he doesn't like when I don't pay attention to him.

Want to sponsor?Interested in sponsoring an episode of the podcast? This is a great way to reach our loyal audience about an album or song release, special merch sale, upcoming tour ... or even an app, service, or product to sell. We can even do things like play a portion of your song and have our hosts talk a little bit about it and give thoughts. Each sponsorship also comes with a link in the podcast post right here on the homepage.

Email us for more information.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40
06:09 PM on 05/29/14
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
i can show you my amazon confirmation email for a new microphone if you NEED it! heh.
06:19 PM on 05/29/14
TimTheMechanic
All alone is all I'll ever be
User Info.
Been looking forward to this ever since Thomas tweeted about it. Best way to unwind after a stressful restaurant double.

Edit: Just got done listening. One of my favorite podcasts. Glad you all like the new Aaron West album, now I'm even more excited. Also the Blink 182 hiatus discussion was interesting.
07:51 PM on 05/29/14
Ben Lee
Gold light breaks behind the houses
User Info.
I was a fan of The Upsides, but I couldn't get into anything else after that.

and I like this Aaron West song. I'm interested in this album for sure.

The first thing I think about when the topic of separation is brought up is Boxcar Racer. I think a lot of people seperate that and blink-182 pretty well. I actually know some people that like everything blink has done but either don't know or don't care for Boxcar. I don't see why that couldn't happen with this as well.
08:26 PM on 05/29/14
Ben Lee
Gold light breaks behind the houses
User Info.
Also, very interesting conversation about blink. Has anyone thought that this might be AVA's last album? I mean, with the lineup changes, Ian and Tom working basically alone, no sign of David, no sign of Matt, is it that big of a stretch to think this could be it for AVA?

I could see Tom reaching out to blink and just saying "hey look, let me put this to rest the right way and then I can focus on blink"

Idk, just a thought.
10:24 PM on 05/29/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Been looking forward to this ever since Thomas tweeted about it. Best way to unwind after a stressful restaurant double.

Edit: Just got done listening. One of my favorite podcasts. Glad you all like the new Aaron West album, now I'm even more excited. Also the Blink 182 hiatus discussion was interesting.
Thanks for listening! Glad you liked it / helped with your de-stressification.
10:27 PM on 05/29/14
EastCoastVans
oh, common life
User Info.
I like this format for the podcast a lot. The last few weeks have been really enjoyable.

Have you considered adding a song or something at the end? It ends kind of abruptly.
10:54 PM on 05/29/14
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I heard the cat all podcast long too but I didn't say anything it was awesome
11:01 PM on 05/29/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
I heard the cat all podcast long too but I didn't say anything it was awesome
Hahaha. I had the door shut and he wanted in ... he's so needy. Thankfully it's only a few times where I'm talking that you hear it.
11:03 PM on 05/29/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
I like this format for the podcast a lot. The last few weeks have been really enjoyable.

Have you considered adding a song or something at the end? It ends kind of abruptly.
Thanks, glad you're liking it!

Yeah, that's my next project -- I changed the intro and intro music this episode -- next is to tackle how to better do an outro and all that.
12:00 AM on 05/30/14
AndrewSoup
It's A Secret To Everyone
User Info.
C'mon now, let's not go and say Ronnie Radke is incapable of telling a joke. The guy's a WALKING joke! Let's show some credit.
02:25 AM on 05/30/14
wrothish
I look to the sky
User Info.
Really enjoyed it! It was interesting to hear all the threads of connection between Apple/Beats and Iovine/major labels. So:

* Iovine is a smart, successful major label veteran who has done well even as the industry struggled.

* Apple is a taste-making, culture-creating company watching iTunes get displaced by streaming.

* Beats Music devoted a lot of attention and personnel hires to recs/curation. (I may not have been the only one, but I mentioned the similarities between the Beats environment and Apple's paradigm in the last podcast thread. Later, I found Beats articulated curation philosophies explicitly when the service rolled out: here.)

* Sluggish response to tech changes damaged major labels, but they still own music rights and have unparalleled bankroll/connections for pushing music to a huge audience.

This Apple-Beats deal seems more and more like a "next new world order" gambit for music to me. Streaming replicates the freedom/selection of piracy and gets listeners back into licensed use spaces. But Rdio, Pandora and Spotify are software ventures -- Beats Music is now owned by a hardware-software behemoth with major label heavyweights on the team. Should be interesting.

Much like you said, I primarily listen to entire albums in track order. If more sophisticated personalization-marketing becomes the name of the streaming game, I fully expect full-album will be a preference type. "You just listened to X concept album. Would you like to listen to Y or Z concept album?" or "[Artist who put out a concept album]'s list of five top concept albums, sponsored by ___."
04:06 AM on 05/30/14
Kyle Huntington
GIVEN TO THE WILD
User Info.
This was great, really awesome episode.
07:33 AM on 05/30/14
lovemetal24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Beats….the most overpriced, overhyped product in history
07:44 AM on 05/30/14
J.Dick
User Info.
I'm a whole album type of guy. Does anyone really use that personalization stuff? One of the reasons I kind of hated Pandora when I used it was that I want to control what I'm listening to and what is coming up next. I like Spotify precisely because I can dictate what I'm listening to and when. The flip side to that is that people still listen to the radio (although radio playlists are so tight these days you can almost predict what will be played) so maybe somebody is using these curated playlists. It's a crazy time for music that is for sure.
One question I'm too lazy to search out: Did Steve Jobs ever go out and gobble up companies/products or was his philosophy to develop everything in house?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos