Password

Album Review

Röyksopp & Robyn - Do It Again Album Cover

Röyksopp & Robyn - Do It Again

Reviewed by
Röyksopp & Robyn - Do It Again
Record Label: Dog Triumph
Release Date: May 23, 2014
For some, the combining forces of Röyksopp and Robyn may feel a bit disparate and feel like an unlikely pairing. However, with their previous efforts together, "The Girl and the Robot" (from Röyksopp's Junior) and "Some of Dem" (from Robyn's Body Talk), it's clear that these two can create stylish and intriguing works. Do It Again takes their newest efforts to extremes, in both invigorating and pungent ways.

With any collaborative effort, there has to be some give and take. It's a difficult process and sometimes you wind up with projects that are sub-par from the individual work. However, Do It Again evolves both Röyksopp and Robyn equally in new and exciting directions. The five song, mini-album opens up with the delectable "Monument," in which Robyn announces, "Make a cast / Of my body / Pull back out / So that I can see / Let go of / How you knew me / Let go of / What I used to be." The song is a subtle yet powerful opening that is both introspective as well as progressive. It's Robyn in flux. It's a perfect song to capture where Robyn is transitionally as an artist. For someone who has been making music in the spotlight for almost twenty years, Robyn understands her metamorphosis as an artist who has repeatedly altered her image, her sound, and who she is. This is another rebirth. She's opening up her reflection process to delve into her future.

The following song on the album is club-banger "Sayit," and my favorite song on the album. The song is incredibly refreshing and contains glitchy electronics, computer voices, and a driving dance pedal. What I love about this song is it's a completely realized collaborative effort. You couldn't find this song on either of Röyksopp or Robyn's previous discography. It's a perfect blend of Robyn's strong pop presence and Röyksopp's inventive sea of electronics.

In the middle of the album, you'll find the title track, "Do It Again," which is the closest resemblance to Robyn's Body Talk. It's an affectious dance-floor track that will be upholding Robyn's club presence. It's easily a fan favorite and crowd pleaser. The fourth track, "Every Little Thing" is rather subdued, and it also feels like it couldn't have come from either of their previous albums. It's a catchy track that reflects the versatility that both Röyksopp and Robyn share as longstanding, transformative musicians.

The almost ten-minute closing track, "Inside the Idle Hour Club," is entirely devoid of Robyn. It's quaint, it's mysterious, and it settles the album in a rather unsettling position. It's an interesting way to end such a complex and invigorating mini-album. It leaves us wanting more and questioning what else these two incredibly seasoned veterans have planned down the road.
This review is a user submitted review from sargentlgfuad. You can see all of sargentlgfuad's submitted reviews here.

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version