AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 3 posts
11:15 AM on 06/17/14
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Great article. Will respond with my thoughts later since I'm away from a computer at the moment.

Wanted to share this, however, since it's related: Neko Case responding to Playboy's comment --> http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5380242
IM NOT A FUCKING "WOMAN IN MUSIC", IM A FUCKING MUSICIAN IN MUSIC!

Edit:

Since it's difficult to talk about this article (and the ones related to it, as well as the issue in general) without talking about feminism, I wanted to share this quote:

"A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men."

I don't think we need to to hurt or alienate males from this scene in order to accommodate females. But can we all, at the very least, agree that Warped Tour could be doing a better job than they are right now? I don't know Kevin Lyman personally, and thus I can't speak on his behalf, nor can I comment on his intentions/agenda, but I think we can all agree that more can be done to get women more involved, or make them feel more comfortable about getting involved.

I don't have a solution or answer for this situation, but having these discussions is a good place to start, because change is only possible when people's concerns and aspirations are heard, acknowledged and acted upon. And that's possible only via communicative or open dialogue.

I would love to have a respectful discussion about this, because I highly doubt that any of you hate women, and I would hope that you would want them to be more involved.
12:25 PM on 06/17/14
Lueda Alia
User Info.
All ok with that first reaction, but what comes next is a shame. Bitter and rude. She could express the same without the "motherfuckers" and such... I agree with her, just not with the tone, since it was an involuntary offense. I hate that kind of language and it is more than avoidable through writing...

On a related note, apparently, it is ok to distinguish between white people music and black people music, which I find abominable.
My guess is that she's had to deal with similar comments throughout her entire (long) career, and she's past the point of being polite about it. I do understand what you're saying though.
12:49 PM on 06/17/14
Lueda Alia
User Info.
Since it's difficult to talk about this article (and the ones related to it, as well as the issue in general) without talking about feminism, I wanted to share this quote:

“A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.”

I don't think we need to to hurt or alienate males from this scene in order to accommodate females. But can we all, at the very least, agree that Warped Tour could be doing a better job than they are right now? I don't know Kevin Lyman personally, and thus I can't speak on his behalf, nor can I comment on his intentions/agenda, but I think we can all agree that more can be done to get women more involved, or make them feel more comfortable about getting involved.

I don't have a solution or answer for this situation, but having these discussions is a good place to start, because change is only possible when people’s concerns and aspirations are heard, acknowledged and acted upon. And that's possible only via communicative or open dialogue.

I would love to have a respectful discussion about this, because I highly doubt that any of you hate women, and I would hope that you would want them to be more involved.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos