Username
Password

Comments: Page 11
Displaying posts 150 - 165 of 700
01:19 PM on 06/17/14
heycasey4
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
The quote function is very helpful if there's a post or user you'd like to respond to tbh. I think women are very mistreated in this scene. Look at the merch examples people have talked about that are sold on the tour, the low ratio of women on the tour. Mistreatment doesn't have to be like creating an ordinance where women are banned from the tour. Kevin contributes to this by refusing to acknowledge the problem and being complacent in it. People using the business model or capitalism to excuse this is actually really gross and, since punk is supposed to be progressive, the antithesis of what it's supposed to stand for. I'm not even talking about warped being punk or not. I'm saying that there are supposed fans of punk who are excusing the exclusion of women because of profit margins. That's really odd to me.
I don't know, I see where you are coming from, and agree on alot of it. But, I guess what I am trying to say is if Lyman was blatantly against women bands and women I would be the first to say there is something that needs to be done. But for the sole reason he only has 6% women bands on his tour, I don't think you can say he is oppressing or mistreating women, or that he is a sexist or whatever.
01:20 PM on 06/17/14
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Allison Weiss is on the tour, but your point still stands.
Whoops.
01:20 PM on 06/17/14
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Kylesa and Royal Thunder are 2 kickass, very successful rock bands with female vocalists. Neither would probably be a fit for warped which has basically just become a screamo/scene band package at this point.

But Kelly's idea you have to be a some magazine girly girl cover model to be successful is a joke, Royal Thunder had a great reception to their last record and played a ton of good metal tours, and Kylesa has doing their thing for a long time now
i don't see Kylesa not fitting with this tour at all. They have had metal acts numerous times in the past.
01:21 PM on 06/17/14
the seventeenth
level 71 community member
User Info.
Quote:
Hayley Williams being the obvious example - we are bombarded with articles about her love life, her looks, her hairstyles. We are taught not to view Hayley Williams as a musician, but as a woman.
This is a rather stupid point. You don't think if Kellin Quinn or Andy Biersak broke into the mainstream that there would be similar articles? They too would be broken down to just "man", instead of "musician".
Plenty of stations and sites (TMZ, etc.) focus more on the personal lives of actors and actresses, or congress(wo)men, too. It's the most primal version of increasing exposure, and, although demeaning, articles like those do help to keep artists relevant.
At a scale like you are talking about, the issue is no longer scene, or gender, specific...

I didn't mean to bring forth the "equality for men too!" discussion to argue my point, but it's hard not to with topics like these. Everyone should be equal...
01:22 PM on 06/17/14
texan4lif281
User Info.
I am actually so incredibly disheartened by this thread. I am so disheartened by the fact that people believe that it's bringing in evil quotas when you ask the person who runs the Warped Tour to have more than 6% of his musicians be female. I'm asking him to stop choosing men over women because society dictates that men are more profitable rock bands or because he just prefers men.

I am so disheartened by the fact that I'm being told over and over again that there is no such thing as sexism in our scene and that it's not a problem. In a scene where bands sell sexist merch, where women are constantly ignored and everything is about the boys, it saddens me that people don't think that's wrong.

I am also disheartened by the fact that most of the people who suggested the above didn't actually seem to read the article. I wonder what the response would have been if I was male.

It blows my mind too, I do not understand peoples' point of views.
01:24 PM on 06/17/14
Jason Tate
User Info.
Agreed, specifically to your point about the wishes of female musicians (who I believe are the only group that hasn't come out of the woodwork to comment on this thing).

How would female musicians feel about being selected for a tour solely because they are women? How would they feel about being a part of this "initiative" and to quite literally fulfill a quota.

Furthermore, would that even make a difference? Someone stated that bands CHOOSE not to play Warped because of the misogyny and other social issues that are perpetuated. Why not try to make Warped a BETTER place for women rather than simply inviting more to the circus?
No one said you can only do one thing.
swboyd
The Screaming Wind
User Info.
i don't see Kylesa not fitting with this tour at all. They have had metal acts numerous times in the past.
Kylesa on Warped Tour would go over like a lead balloon.
Kelly Doherty
@DylanintheMovie
User Info.
This is a rather stupid point. You don't think if Kellin Quinn or Andy Biersak broke into the mainstream that there would be similar articles? They too would be broken down to just "man", instead of "musician".
Plenty of stations and sites (TMZ, etc.) focus more on the personal lives of actors and actresses, or congress(wo)men, too. It's the most primal version of increasing exposure, and, although demeaning, articles like those do help to keep artists relevant.
At a scale like you are talking about, the issue is no longer scene, or gender, specific...

I didn't mean to bring forth the "equality for men too!" discussion to argue my point, but it's hard not to with topics like these. Everyone should be equal...
I'm referring to Hayley Williams before she broke through to the mainstream. I read articles about her love life and fashion top back in Kerrang! and Alternative Press. I expect that from TMZ or whatever, but Kerrang! isn't in the habit of writing about Oli Sykes' lovelife.
kianacarly
Your silence does not protect you
User Info.
I can certainly recognize that.

(I am trying to clear all of the snarkiness and sniping that have been a part of this discussion)

I guess where I sort of differ in perspective is what the desired end result is.

I don't believe that Lyman takes gender into consideration when he picks bands for Warped. I don't even think he really picks the bands at all. But assuming he does, is he cognizant of the gender make up of each band? Do you think he looks at anything more than record sales, touring history, and shit like Twitter followers? Do you think he knows who Ice Nine Kills is,, what they sound like, and who is int he group?

I doubt it.

So what action would he be taking away from the suggestion that he needs to find more female musicians? That he start taking gender into consideration? Is that what female musicians really want? To Neko Case's point to Playboy, she has succeeded because she makes great music, not because she is a female.

I don't know, I am rambling.

I honestly don't know how he chooses his bands. I'd be inclined to agree that he just looks where the $$$ is. Obviously he needs to make money to continue the tour, but there are so many bands on Warped aside from the main ones. A good portion of bands on the tour are little bands that play side stages and most people have never heard of. I doubt he makes a ton of money off of those, so I guess I am curious about how a lot of those bands get picked too. Obviously the big draws are based off popularity, but what about all the others? Why are so many of those artists who are usually male and probably don't make a lot of money for him picked? I don't know all the answers, but I think they are important questions to ask. Now obviously I'd like to see more bands with women as big draws too, but I think it's baby steps. I think if women are given more opportunities on the smaller stages (I know he gives some opportunities, but more would not hurt), it's a great motivation for other women. The more representation there is, the more I think other women will be inclined to join bands and feel like they can make it too, and eventually there will be more women in bands that are big draws. If there are way fewer female musicians to look up to for them, I can see why women would feel like it's a losing battle and not even bother to try because it's such a boy's club.

I think there's not one easy answer. I think he had to opportunity to encourage women and open a dialogue with Megan and talk about these issues and have it reach a wide audience, and he did not take that. Instead he got childish and defensive. He could talk about the negative environment of Warped that puts off women and makes them not want to join his tour. It wouldn't have solved all of the problems, but it'd have been a good start.
01:25 PM on 06/17/14
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
With the acoustic basement, it's absolutely gross that there are only several out of 18 acts that are female. Are you trying to tell me that Kevin Lyman can't find more female singer-songwriters?
01:26 PM on 06/17/14
FTank
I hate Golden Tate
User Info.
Don't care to get involved in this whatsoever but responses on either side that say something like "lol" or "you are the worst" are decidedly unproductive and make others less likely to listen to your platform
01:26 PM on 06/17/14
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Kylesa on Warped Tour would go over like a lead balloon.
So did Lucero.

(I very much enjoy both bands)
01:27 PM on 06/17/14
kianacarly
Your silence does not protect you
User Info.
I'm referring to Hayley Williams before she broke through to the mainstream. I read articles about her love life and fashion top back in Kerrang! and Alternative Press. I expect that from TMZ or whatever, but Kerrang! isn't in the habit of writing about Oli Sykes' lovelife.
I definitely remember reading an article with her for a music magazine yearssss ago (can't remember which) where they asked her about her period. It's a bit ridiculous.
01:27 PM on 06/17/14
SkyGrowsBigger
User Info.
OH MY FUCKING GOD WOMEN CAN BE CHOSEN BECAUSE THEY'RE GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO INSTEAD OF BEING IGNORED BECAUSE OUR SCENE LARGELY DOESNT HAVE RESPECT FOR WOMEN ARE YOU LISTENING TO ANYTHING I HAVE SAID
I think in this case it's you Kelly, who isn't listening. The suggestion in your article dictates that if there are two identical bands in skill and merit, Kevin should choose the band with female members. That is quite literally choosing the band solely for their gender.
01:28 PM on 06/17/14
phaynes1
AP.NET ILLUMINATI
User Info.
Always love it when dudes tell women that they are missing the point in sexism/misogyny debates.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos